"Work As Directed," they said...

Overpaid Union Thug

I have a driver that sounds a lot like you. I've been their on car for only about 7 months. Others look at him like he's a bumhole. He does have a terrible attitude if you attempt to talk to him about anything, regardless of if discipline is involved. I see a guy that has high expectations of himself and those around him. He's been driving for 20+ years and he's been ignored and abused to the point where he don't give a bleep. I imagine a lot of you guys feel that way.

I always tell a guy that if I wouldn't follow it, then I won't enforce it because sometimes the Orion "solution" is ridiculous. That said, if their reasoning is more along the line of "I prefer to do it this way because it's the way I've always done it" or some other line then I wont buy it. Especially if I've been out with you or trained someone else on your route and I was able to follow it close.

I agree that Orion compliance isn't your problem and it's not a drivers job to update a DOL or to do management work. Orion's not going anywhere though. I fully encourage my group. Show me your route before you leave so I can fix it tomorrow. make suggestions about your route and in turn I can help the route be closer to what you would like to do. Help me help you. I'm just a stupavisor. You are the professional.
I have had on cars like you. New to the job and totally clueless to just how their overzealousness is blinding them to what should be instantly clear. My attitude towards your numbers is justified. I could care less what other suck ass/safety committee drivers think about it. They have no balls.

Once you're over your cherry phase of being an OCS you'll realize that many of us are sick and tired of wasting precious time and effort to try to get you worthless people to fix things. Things that would actually make the very drivers you approach with your little metrics clipboards more efficient.

And most of us don't have bad attitudes. We are just realistic. We are happy before we set foot in the building and happy again once we get off the property and are out on our own actually handling all of the mistakes that you people just flat-out refuse to fix. And then have the nerve to approach us with a clipboard full of metrics and ask me "what happened?"

Soon you will realize that as an on-call supervisor you are not here to actually supervise drivers. You are the guy at the bottom of the hill whose sole purpose is to stand there with your mouth wide open and prepare for the crap that is steamrolling itself down that hill every single day. The guy standing near the top of that hill is even more worthless than an on car supervisor, yet has more power........the center manager. A good on car supervisor not only listens to their drivers suggestions but implements them as well. Those kind of people are extremely rare nowadays.

Last edited:

Boulevard859710

I think it's hilarious how UPS is spinning ORION in the media. The last quarter was rather profitable, and they're convinced it's ORION.

Meanwhile, they seem to pretend to forget the fact that with so many drivers now not under 9.5 protection, they're putting 11 hour routes on 5 guys instead of 8.5s on 6. They're saving an entire route per every 6 under the current contract.

Technology won't be the big issue under the next contract... further eliminating 9.5 protections will be.
Didn't they make 4 billion last quarter? Could have been 6 billion if they hadn't purchased ORION.

8 Hour Day

I just thought this was too good to not repost.

I have had on cars like you. New to the job and totally clueless to just how their overzealousness is blinding them to what should be instantly clear. My attitude towards your numbers is justified. I could care less what other suck ass/safety committee drivers think about it. They have no balls.

Once you're over your cherry phase of being an OCS you'll realize that many of us are sick and tired of wasting precious time and effort to try to get you worthless people to fix things. Things that would actually make the very drivers you approach with your little metrics clipboards more efficient.

And most of us don't have bad attitudes. We are just realistic. We are happy before we set foot in the building and happy again once we get off the property and are out on our own actually handling all of the mistakes that you people just flat-out refuse to fix. And then have the nerve to approach us with a clipboard full of metrics and ask me "what happened?"

Soon you will realize that as an on-call supervisor you are not here to actually supervise drivers. You are the guy at the bottom of the hill whose sole purpose is to stand there with your mouth wide open and prepare for the crap that is steamrolling itself down that hill every single day. The guy standing near the top of that hill is even more worthless than an on car supervisor, yet has more power........the center manager. A good on car supervisor not only listens to their drivers suggestions but implements them as well. Those kind of people are extremely rare nowadays.

Dr.Brownz

The problem is there are so many drivers that don't want to be on the 9.5 list that absolutely HATE every driver on it. It makes no sense to me why they hate them so much. They will jump all over a contract that makes 9.5 harder.
Is this an example of UPS's subtle psychological warfare program? I think so. I believe that at some level UPS is engaged in a propaganda war against its own employees

Dr.Brownz

I have a driver that sounds a lot like you. I've been their on car for only about 7 months. Others look at him like he's a bumhole. He does have a terrible attitude if you attempt to talk to him about anything, regardless of if discipline is involved. I see a guy that has high expectations of himself and those around him. He's been driving for 20+ years and he's been ignored and abused to the point where he don't give a bleep. I imagine a lot of you guys feel that way.

I always tell a guy that if I wouldn't follow it, then I won't enforce it because sometimes the Orion "solution" is ridiculous. That said, if their reasoning is more along the line of "I prefer to do it this way because it's the way I've always done it" or some other line then I wont buy it. Especially if I've been out with you or trained someone else on your route and I was able to follow it close.

I agree that Orion compliance isn't your problem and it's not a drivers job to update a DOL or to do management work. Orion's not going anywhere though. I fully encourage my group. Show me your route before you leave so I can fix it tomorrow. make suggestions about your route and in turn I can help the route be closer to what you would like to do. Help me help you. I'm just a stupavisor. You are the professional.

Exactly like the other guy said. You try to fix one problem and its fixed for a day maybe two and then its right back to how it was before.

Look at how dirty the package cars are. That says it all.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
From the sounds of it, "ORION" ruins the rout instead of making the route easier so that you can work as directed with ease
It has it's good points and bad ones, like most everything else. But yes, it does take decision making further away from the employee, by design. Good or bad? Indifferent? Meh.

8 Hour Day

It has it's good points and bad ones, like most everything else. But yes, it does take decision making further away from the employee, by design. Good or bad? Indifferent? Meh.

Provided your EDD data was good to start with and the ORION team did a good job setting it up, it should work pretty well on most routes.

The problem is, no routes I know of in our center were ever set up correctly in EDD. The ORION team ignored us when we said things like needing to run certain areas certain times of the day to avoid traffic. They didn't bother to correct the dozens of "SNAPs." So, the already crappy software is just horrendously inept.

I'll just keep filing 9.5s... the morons can just pay me more to do less. Too exhausted with it to care.

gear-guy

Orion is awesome!!!!!!!!!! 100% everyday. $10,000 a year more in my paycheck. Maybe more if I win my 9.5 grievances. Why fight stupid!

8 Hour Day

Make your problems their problems & watch them fix your problems for you...
That's been a bit of a mantra of mine at Brown. It works.

After running the route by ORION and filing 9.5s repeatedly, my supe came up to me and asked where an address is so they would know where to put it in sequence.

Mind you, this is an address I've been asking them to change in EDD and ORION for months. I then discovered later today that they've re-looped half the route so it *almost* makes sense in ORION, and is absolutely perfect in EDD. When they told me I HAD to run it by ORION, I told them it needed to be fixed, first. They poo-pooed the idea. Looks like me working 11 hours to do 8 hours worth of work and filing every week has changed their minds.

This would be so much easier if they'd just realize that drivers aren't management, and therefore don't feel the need to lie every time we open our mouths.

8 Hour Day

So, as I turned on the left hand turn signal on my truck to make an ORION dictated lefty when no logical person would, Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" came on.

Then, it went off.

Then, Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven" came on.

Then, traffic cleared enough for me to "power brake" across traffic like a good little robot.

...my supe' asked why I wasn't scratching my route, anymore. (I used to - apparently - manage this at least twice a week - unbeknownst to me.)

HA! Tomorrow (Friday) will likely be my 5th day over 9.5... my 4th week in a row of grievances. They keep lowering the stop count. They have me low enough to get 10 hour days regularly. NOT GOOD ENOUGH, SUCKERS. Just imagine how awesome it'll be if I actually abide by all of the methods... This place cracks me up. Shooting themselves in the face!

I'm desperately wanting to be a productive employee... thwarted at every turn.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, as I turned on the left hand turn signal on my truck to make an ORION dictated lefty when no logical person would, Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" came on.

Then, it went off.

Then, Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven" came on.

Then, traffic cleared enough for me to "power brake" across traffic like a good little robot.

...my supe' asked why I wasn't scratching my route, anymore. (I used to - apparently - manage this at least twice a week - unbeknownst to me.)

HA! Tomorrow (Friday) will likely be my 5th day over 9.5... my 4th week in a row of grievances. They keep lowering the stop count. They have me low enough to get 10 hour days regularly. NOT GOOD ENOUGH, SUCKERS. Just imagine how awesome it'll be if I actually abide by all of the methods... This place cracks me up. Shooting themselves in the face!

I'm desperately wanting to be a productive employee... thwarted at every turn.

Do the words "operational sabotage" mean anything to you?