Working for Free

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fred loves free money, and he really loves it when couriers are stupid enough to give it to him willingly. We've seen confusion here over taking breaks during return to building. None necessary, because stem time is always on the clock. Managers like to pressure couriers into using "unproductive" time for breaks since it makes their numbers look better.

Working during 13/14 is not permitted. At least that's what the miniature PowerPad lawyer tells you. But people do it all the time, sometimes to be a star, but usually because they simply have too much to do. Nothing like getting screamed at for bringing back Code 1's, is there? FedEx doesn't want you to code 28/29's any longer either. Why? Because they hope you will work right through them and not take the break.

How about station BBQ's and pizza parties etc. These are on the decline, but if a manager brings up anything to do with work, it is PAID. I used to have a senior who would make these things mandatory, and when I didn't show, he'd threaten to write me up. He couldn't, because unpaid anything is not mandatory.

Recorders and late freight calls...illegal. Another way to get you to dock yourself money so Fred will have more for himself. You can easily screw yourself out of a lot of hours by playing this game their way. Show up at your scheduled time, clock-in, and ask for something to do. They MUST pay you. Don't fall for the lies.

FedEx charity events are also free labor of sorts. You get a dumb t-shirt and have to shout "FedEx Cares" after you mow a poor person's lawn or paint their house. FedEx gets lots of great PR and you get to burn a day of your weekend. Instead, mow the lawn and paint the house on behalf of a charity NOT associated with FedEx. One of the reasons that the general public thinks FedEx is so great and such a wonderful place to work is that Fred has a masterful PR Department (ask you know who, since he works there).

Sorting/cleaning your truck. I used to see a very senior employee come in on Saturdays at least once a month so he could wash out his W700 with a hose and do housekeeping on his truck. Free labor. Anyone who comes in early to sort their truck...free labor. Standing in line for your timecard instead of just walking in and grabbing one..free labor.

Don't do it.

mitchel

Fred loves free money, and he really loves it when couriers are stupid enough to give it to him willingly. We've seen confusion here over taking breaks during return to building. None necessary, because stem time is always on the clock. Managers like to pressure couriers into using "unproductive" time for breaks since it makes their numbers look better.

Working during 13/14 is not permitted. At least that's what the miniature PowerPad lawyer tells you. But people do it all the time, sometimes to be a star, but usually because they simply have too much to do. Nothing like getting screamed at for bringing back Code 1's, is there? FedEx doesn't want you to code 28/29's any longer either. Why? Because they hope you will work right through them and not take the break.

How about station BBQ's and pizza parties etc. These are on the decline, but if a manager brings up anything to do with work, it is PAID. I used to have a senior who would make these things mandatory, and when I didn't show, he'd threaten to write me up. He couldn't, because unpaid anything is not mandatory.

Recorders and late freight calls...illegal. Another way to get you to dock yourself money so Fred will have more for himself. You can easily screw yourself out of a lot of hours by playing this game their way. Show up at your scheduled time, clock-in, and ask for something to do. They MUST pay you. Don't fall for the lies.

FedEx charity events are also free labor of sorts. You get a dumb t-shirt and have to shout "FedEx Cares" after you mow a poor person's lawn or paint their house. FedEx gets lots of great PR and you get to burn a day of your weekend. Instead, mow the lawn and paint the house on behalf of a charity NOT associated with FedEx. One of the reasons that the general public thinks FedEx is so great and such a wonderful place to work is that Fred has a masterful PR Department (ask you know who, since he works there).

Sorting/cleaning your truck. I used to see a very senior employee come in on Saturdays at least once a month so he could wash out his W700 with a hose and do housekeeping on his truck. Free labor. Anyone who comes in early to sort their truck...free labor. Standing in line for your timecard instead of just walking in and grabbing one..free labor.

Don't do it.

I am really trying to understand where you are coming from, i realize you are pissed, so am i. ive always been a swing driver so ive never had my own truck. but i respect the ones that do take the time to clean and take care of thiers. it shows pride of what they are doing, and driving some of these trucks, its embarrassing when backing into a dock and truck ..looks like sh-t

i dont understand your take on screwing fedex for what they are doing , by taking it out on the people you deliver to. to me its not fedex they are judging .its me. its not their fault that what our employer is doing..so if that employee you are talking about comes in on his own to wash his truck.. congrats to him...or ....did you stop to think maybe he just wanted to find something to do to get away from the wife and kids?

mitchel

Don't do it.

he probably just wanted an excuse to get away from the wife and kids. but, having respect for your truck and how it looks is not a bad thing. i am embarrassed sometimes when i have to back up to a dock and there are mcdonalds bags and crap that can be seen

55+

he probably just wanted an excuse to get away from the wife and kids. but, having respect for your truck and how it looks is not a bad thing. i am embarrassed sometimes when i have to back up to a dock and there are mcdonalds bags and crap that can be seen
MrFedex is right...Don't do it..Everything that you do off the clock is free money for Fred..Fedex should allow each driver who has their own truck they use coded time to clean and gas the vehicle. Also drivers can and do get injured doing off the clock work..I'm sure this guys wife and kids wouldn't like it if he came home injured by doing off the clock work. No disability for him

vantexan

Reminds me of a former coworker. He'd come in early every day to wipe down his cab. You could eat off his dashboard. But he was always trying to dump freight so that he could go home early. And got really pissed if you wouldn't take the freight.

vantexan

MrFedex is right...Don't do it..Everything that you do off the clock is free money for Fred..Fedex should allow each driver who has their own truck they use coded time to clean and gas the vehicle. Also drivers can and do get injured doing off the clock work..I'm sure this guys wife and kids wouldn't like it if he came home injured by doing off the clock work. No disability for him

Years ago in New Mexico as a domicile my mgr wanted to pay me 15 minutes to wash my truck. Told him that would barely pay for the wash, not my time. I was willing to run it down to a power wash place for 30 minutes pay. He wouldn't pay it so I refused altogether. Two months later I had plants growing out of the dirt on my back door. He paid...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Reminds me of a former coworker. He'd come in early every day to wipe down his cab. You could eat off his dashboard. But he was always trying to dump freight so that he could go home early. And got really pissed if you wouldn't take the freight.

I don't know what it is, but the guys who are always trying to dump freight are the ones who complain the most about not getting hours.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know what it is, but the guys who are always trying to dump freight are the ones who complain the most about not getting hours.

Why is it that you aren't upset about having your hours cut and/or having to take a huge split? How about putting-in a 12-13 hr day justt to get 7 or 8hrs?

59 Dano

Why is it that you aren't upset about having your hours cut and/or having to take a huge split? How about putting-in a 12-13 hr day justt to get 7 or 8hrs?

What does that have to do with guys who dump all their freight?

59 Dano

It's because shills won't be affected by the cutbacks,isn't it? Disgusting ...

I hear that they're going to target the chronic complainers and take it easy on the rest. Just a rumor. I wouldn't put any stock into it ;)

You shouldn't have much to worry about either way. Remember, this job doesn't make your money, your side projects/investments do. You just keep this job for the insurance and to "fight Fred."

Guapo

Are you saying call notes is illegal...seems some stations use it others do not. I find it absurd that I have to call every am, and then have my time bumped up 30 minutes or back an hour making me late or early or on time if i can have a time card...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What does that have to do with guys who dump all their freight?

Answer the question instead of avoiding it. Why doesn't "The Plan" bother you? Arent you going to get your hours slashed and have to take a big split like everyone else? It's stuff like this that proves over and over again that you are a corporate shill and apologist. You never say anything bad about what's coming down the pike in October. Why is that, Dano?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Are you saying call notes is illegal...seems some stations use it others do not. I find it absurd that I have to call every am, and then have my time bumped up 30 minutes or back an hour making me late or early or on time if i can have a time card...

Illegal in most states. Check with your state's Labor Board. You might be pleasantly surprised to see that FedEx is breaking the law.

Goldilocks

Answer the question instead of avoiding it. Why doesn't "The Plan" bother you? Arent you going to get your hours slashed and have to take a big split like everyone else? It's stuff like this that proves over and over again that you are a corporate shill and apologist. You never say anything bad about what's coming down the pike in October. Why is that, Dano?

Looks like someone had a bad day at work, by golly, you are negative today. Cheer up and go drink some nice refreshing purple kool-aid....

thedownhillEXPRESS

C'mon Dano, what does the "current" people manual have to say about start times and phone calls?
I say current because a new one is being written as we speak I assume....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Looks like someone had a bad day at work, by golly, you are negative today. Cheer up and go drink some nice refreshing purple kool-aid....

No. This is precisely why he gets accused of being a decoy for the company. Who could possibly be positive about the restructuring but an idiot or someone who supports it from within FedEx management. There is NO upside for the hourly employee. Again, please answer the question.

59 Dano

The fact that I haven't joined you in theatrical histrionics doesn't mean that the rumors don't bother me and that, if they are true, they won't affect me.

Most people don't act like you, thankfully.