working on vacation pay rate?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm on vacation for the next couple weeks. Will have to let the spouse know about the pay rate she owes me for work on the honey-do list.
No way in hell I would ever go into UPS on a scheduled vacation!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Working during a vacation allows the company to continue under-staffing operations by not hiring more workers.

It's forbidden under our supplement, but people still do it. Package car drivers and Feeder drivers working during their vacation need to have their heads examined; not only are they taking a potential week away from a junior driver, they're letting the company continue to get away with not creating more FT jobs. In package, they also potentially screw a RTD out of a week of progression credit.

The PT'ers I see in the hub that do it are usually the same people that will go home one or two days a week or are the first people to get the hell out of dodge when the sort goes down and there's another 30 minutes to 1 hour of wrap-up work left over. They're also potentially screwing a double shifting employee out of overtime and also allowing the company to not give a junior part timer a chance at a preferred job (irregs, small sort, air belt, etc. all of which are better than loading/unloading.)

I try not to think about the above two examples because I don't get paid enough for some of the :censored2: I see in there.

Working during a vacation allows the company to continue under-staffing operations by not hiring more workers.

It's forbidden under our supplement, but people still do it. Package car drivers and Feeder drivers working during their vacation need to have their heads examined; not only are they taking a potential week away from a junior driver, they're letting the company continue to get away with not creating more FT jobs. In package, they also potentially screw a RTD out of a week of progression credit.

The PT'ers I see in the hub that do it are usually the same people that will go home one or two days a week or are the first people to get the hell out of dodge when the sort goes down and there's another 30 minutes to 1 hour of wrap-up work left over. They're also potentially screwing a double shifting employee out of overtime and also allowing the company to not give a junior part timer a chance at a preferred job (irregs, small sort, air belt, etc. all of which are better than loading/unloading.)

I try not to think about the above two examples because I don't get paid enough for some of the :censored2: I see in there.
We have drivers do the same thing.
sup will ask ,if anyone wants to go home?
The same drivers that go home,end up comming in on vacation!

Can't quite figure that out!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
We have drivers do the same thing.
sup will ask ,if anyone wants to go home?
The same drivers that go home,end up comming in on vacation!

Can't quite figure that out!

My favorite are the PT'ers that work 2-3 days (or more) of their vacation but call in once or twice a week when they've burned through all their sick/personal days by April.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a FT driver who was trying to switch one of his vacation weeks to a different week which had not yet been closed out. He went to every driver in seniority order above him and asked him or her if they wanted to have that week. Everyone said "no" and he was able to switch his week with no problem. It was nice of him to do this but I don't think it was really necessary as the week he wanted was still open which meant everyone above him had already had their chance to bid on it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Scheduled day off" and "vacation" are not necessarily one in the same.

Look at the OR report Monday morning-----it will say "vacation", "sick day", "personal day" or "layoff". Why would they need separate terms for scheduled time off if they were all in the same? The fact is that they are not all in the same and the language you posted does not apply to vacations.

By The Book

Look at the OR report Monday morning-----it will say "vacation", "sick day", "personal day" or "layoff". Why would they need separate terms for scheduled time off if they were all in the same? The fact is that they are not all in the same and the language you posted does not apply to vacations.
I think when a fulltime driver is on vacation and has received his check, according to payroll he already has worked 40 hrs.that week and the overtime language kicks in for all hours worked if they work on vacation. I agree with your statement if a guy switches to an open week after all vacations are selected, no one is affected. The week he vacated is open for the taking so ask your center manager if any better weeks opened up.

Quigley

So vacations are not scheduled?