working on vacation pay rate?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does your contract in your area say about this? Do you feel you are being paid correctly?

Our contract says we are not to work our vacations. Our mgt team says we are not to work our vacations. But, when they are short-staffed, my phone rings off the hook.

Yes, I feel that I am being paid correctly. While I would to be paid time and a half for all hours worked, that is not the way the contract reads.

Resident know-it-all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So vacations are not scheduled?

Yes but they are not considered to be the same as a scheduled day off.

What the language you reference is trying to say is if you were scheduled for a personal day next Tuesday and they called you in to work you would be paid OT for all hours worked. The company is not going to pay you the 8 or 9 hours of vacation pay only to pay you for 12 hours (or more) at straight time.

Resident know-it-all.

Quigley

Maybe you didn read it the first time so here it is again. Our rider says ""All work performed on the employees scheduled day off, shall be paid at the rate of time and one half"

How you can say a vacation is not a scheduled day off is beyond me.

Quigley

Our contract says we are not to work our vacations. Our mgt team says we are not to work our vacations. But, when they are short-staffed, my phone rings off the hook.

Yes, I feel that I am being paid correctly. While I would to be paid time and a half for all hours worked, that is not the way the contract reads.

Resident know-it-all.
You would have to be a fool or just flat broke to work your day off for straight time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would have to be a fool or just flat broke to work your day off for straight time.

I have already been paid my 9 hours for the day so whatever I work that day is gravy.

I still contend your local is misinterpreting the intent of the language that you posted.

Resident know-it-all.

By The Book

Vacation and personal day is not a scheduled day off? What exactly is a scheduled day off?
A scheduled day off is a day off coded differently than say a vacation, sick day, funeral, jury duty, etc. It's just a day that you schedule off, maybe a son or daughters graduation that you won't be working and you ask for in advance.

Quigley

I dont know how much clearer that sentence can be. This is why there are so many grievences filed. Its people like you that dont like what something says so you decide it must mean something else. Spoken like a true manager.

Quigley

Well lucky for us what you think doesnt matter. You take the straight time and I will take time and half. I hope for the sake of the drivers in your local you never become a BA.

By The Book

I dont know how much clearer that sentence can be. This is why there are so many grievences filed. Its people like you that dont like what something says so you decide it must mean something else. Spoken like a true manager.
I hope you not talking about me being a manager.

By The Book

If you volunteer it is straight time.

If you are called in it is time and a half.
Do you drive your route when you work on your vacation? Does your supplement not say any hours worked over 40 in a week are overtime? Vacation hours, last I checked are considered hours worked. I think you should be getting time and one half for these hours if worked and I think they know it also. I think we shouldn't work on our vacations so the lower guys get driving experience. We are supposed to have like 10% for these reasons to cover these staffing issues, overflow work, absenteeisms, and the like.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, I drive my route----I wouldn't work otherwise.

No one is displaced nor is anyone getting a day off (other than those already scheduled off) if I choose to work.

This is the first I have ever heard about being paid time and a half for volunteering to work while on vacation. It has always been straight time.

By The Book

Yes, I drive my route----I wouldn't work otherwise.

No one is displaced nor is anyone getting a day off (other than those already scheduled off) if I choose to work.

This is the first I have ever heard about being paid time and a half for volunteering to work while on vacation. It has always been straight time.
Have they just paid you straight time and you not questioned it? If no one is displaced nor anyone getting the day off wouldn't they send a sup with a part timer to deliver a route and move others for coverage? That's what they do here, partly because the BA and steward put a stop to it. It was out of control. I get you on driving your own route I mean who better to do it right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never questioned it as I never knew that there may be an option.

They will normally put an on-car on road with a PTer (sometimes without) but when they are really short-staffed they ask us to come in.

Thank goodness for Caller ID. :)

Kis124

I've worked both my vacations this year because A: needed the money, and B: a ton of people were on vacation that week and we lost quite a few to ft driving. My working did not negatively affect anyone's hours or the fact that we are still hiring for preload like crazy

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

I've worked both my vacations this year because A: needed the money, and B: a ton of people were on vacation that week and we lost quite a few to ft driving. My working did not negatively affect anyone's hours or the fact that we are still hiring for preload like crazy

Sent using BrownCafe App
I have done the same thing for the same reasons. The only negative affect was a PT sup did not have to double shift.

Overpaid Union Thug

You cannot quantify all who do this as you have done. You do not know me or my reason for working

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes, I can. And I always will. Anyone who selects a vacation week that someone else could have had but works that week is, in fact, vile, inconsiderate, and selfish jerks. I don't need to know them or their reason for working. I already know all I need to know about them based on their selfish deeds. The only situation where that wouldn't apply would be when a center has an UNFORESEEN staffing issue. And that has never happened in my building. All I've seen in the past is people showing up for work during weeks that others would have loved to have been able to pick and with all kinds of excuses as to why they are doing so. But some of us finally put a stop to it because their agendas don't override contract language.