Worried about my back

yoyoyo

I've been loading trucks for several months now, and I'm starting to get back pains every few days. I am thinking of buying a back brace or something. Anyone have suggestions? What else should I look into?

Thanks

J

jibbs

Recurring back pains? Go see a doctor.

Sore back? Stretch before and after work, get that back brace and use it.

Getting enough sleep is important, as well. If you don't get enough sleep, your body won't have a chance to heal the strain that package handling seems to be putting on it. Stay hydrated. Your body runs on water, man-- without it, you're pretty much :censored2:ed.

So yeah, to sum it up, water, stretch and sleep. Pretty simple stuff provided you've got the patience and the time to let your body show you just how durable it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been loading trucks for several months now, and I'm starting to get back pains every few days. I am thinking of buying a back brace or something. Anyone have suggestions? What else should I look into?

Thanks
Make sure you are lifting properly. Get a back brace...stretch before work, take Advil and stop being a :censored2:.

oldngray

nowhere special
For most people back braces really don't help much. Stretching does help and so do anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprophin but I agree lifting properly is the most important thing.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There really is a difference between "boohoo I'm sore" and concern for your own safety.

People with the "don't be a wuss" attitude are likely the same ones who end up having physical problems down the line.
There is a difference between having a sore back and joints.... and an actual injury. If you injury yourself...you usually know it. You do this job enough years....repetitive motion injuries are practically unavoidable. Wah...his back hurts. My knee and ankles hurt...doesn't make me special.

J

jibbs

There really is a difference between "boohoo I'm sore" and concern for your own safety.

People with the "don't be a wuss" attitude are likely the same ones who end up having physical problems down the line.

But you gotta admit, some people (not pointing any fingers here, just saying) do need to stop being "wusses."

We've all worked with 'em before. I've got a different word for them, though.

laffter

There is a difference between having a sore back and joints.... and an actual injury. If you injury yourself...you usually know it. You do this job enough years....repetitive motion injuries are practically unavoidable. Wah...his back hurts. My knee and ankles hurt...doesn't make me special.

I don't know enough about this sort of stuff to speak with certainty, but couldn't the cause of recurring pain be a sign of an injury "in development"? The idea is to change something before it gets to that point.

Anyway, if the OP is truly concerned with what he's feeling, he would go see someone about it- or wait 'till insurance kicks in and do it then, if it's still going on at that time. Otherwise, you're right about the :censored2: thing. He's not going to get any sympathy from most people here.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't know enough about this sort of stuff to speak with certainty, but couldn't the cause of recurring pain be a sign of an injury "in development"? The idea is to change something before it gets to that point.

Anyway, if the OP is truly concerned with what he's feeling, he would go see someone about it- or wait 'till insurance kicks in and do it then, if it's still going on at that time. Otherwise, you're right about the :censored2: thing. He's not going to get any sympathy from most people here.
He's probably not lifting properly.

yoyoyo

After a day's work, the last thing I want to do is strengthen core muscles, but I hear what you're saying. Is there a website or app with good core strengthening exercises?

I'm not complaining (too much), just wondering what people use to protect their back. Is there anything else other than a back brace in terms of protective equipment?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
After a day's work, the last thing I want to do is strengthen core muscles, but I hear what you're saying. Is there a website or app with good core strengthening exercises?

I'm not complaining (too much), just wondering what people use to protect their back. Is there anything else other than a back brace in terms of protective equipment?
The best protection is lifting properly.

Hey I was having same issues thought it was just muscles found out after a MRI I had a old herniated l5s1 disc in my back take care friend and get it checked out

jrh

i think back braces are meant to encourage proper lifting, i doubt they do much else other than compress some muscles and connective tissues so they don't move around as much while you're moving. I'd say maybe you should reconsider how you lift, but I wouldn't simplify it that much altogether. I'd see a doctor if it's affordable for you