Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
We had a thread on the best. Now lets have some fun

Not including sups.

Which one is it?

Im gonna go with bulk or the slide.

Nimnim

The Nim
All depends on the person. I've done unload, sort, small sort, bagging in small sort, debag, recycles and irregs. They all have their ups and downs, I prefer the positions where I set my own pace though so unload, recycles and irregs are my preferences. Small sort kinda sets their pace, but they never move and that gets to me kinda like how sorting bores me. I like to move around and get things done, standing in one spot or in an isolated area drags me down as the shift goes on.

Irregs gives me a good time as I get to observe the whole building even though I'm dealing with all the :censored2:ty furniture and crap everyone hates so much the entire night.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
In my 38 years with the company, I did most of the jobs at one time or another. Id say the worst job was unloading trailers. Back then, they weren't jacked up where volume flowed down hill, and you were never unloading fast enough.

km3

Unloading. A lot more physical than anything else, you're never going fast enough, and probably the most dangerous job of them all. Certainly the most dangerous job I've done at UPS.

Nimnim

The Nim
In my 38 years with the company, I did most of the jobs at one time or another. Id say the worst job was unloading trailers. Back then, they weren't jacked up where volume flowed down hill, and you were never unloading fast enough.

Oh I know I've not been around as long as you, but yeah 10 years ago in the dropframes with the rollers if the trailer wasn't jacked up the only hope you had of going a decent pace was the first minute of unloading to get the rollers going and then you couldn't stop else you'd be pushing a line along the rest of the trailer. Though there were many trailers with stuck or missing rollers and then you'd be spending half or more of the time pushing the packages along or putting things back on the rollers. Still the pace was yours so I was happy with that as my unload sup could see the equipment sucked and I was trying.

Then there was a day where there was a 6 foot gap in the rollers with some tape put in between. We all just knew that one was going to take forever. . .

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
absolutley !!!
Putting up rollers , using stack of pks for roller stand , flaps fall on your head , dust in bottoms if drop Frames !! Great times lol

upsgrunt

absolutley !!!
Putting up rollers , using stack of pks for roller stand , flaps fall on your head , dust in bottoms if drop Frames !! Great times lol

I wonder if anyone ever died, or had a career ending concussion from the falling flaps.
That used to hurt like a mother, especially if you got hit with the angle iron support pieces on the bottom of the flaps!

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I'd have to say unloading was the worst. You got the least amount of hours. In the summer it's blazing hot in those trailers. You get even dirtier than loading. Falling walls could mess you up. Back when the extendos didn't go all the way to the back you had to walk back and forth putting packages on the belt. Some trailers had a ton of irregs to deal with. It just seemed like the worst job to me. Loading, sorting, pickoff, irreg driver, small sort debagger....Id rather do any of those vs unloading.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I liked unloading and pito driving combo. Unloading wasn't that bad, you guys are V's. The least boring job for preload hands down

km3

I liked unloading and pito driving combo. Unloading wasn't that bad, you guys are V's. The least boring job for preload hands down

You could definitely get used to the physical nature of the job, but it's still the most dangerous. I cannot think of another part time position in my building where the risk of injury is so high even when following the methods to a T.