wow

rocket man

THE Questions you guys ask? Do any of you ever go to a union meeting or read your contract?I have had a of lot of nutty answers in the past, But you guys take the cake.

BrownArmy

rocket man you should come around more often everyone here needs a dose of your reality!

P.S. I bought a whole engine from a junkyard and replaced that intake manifold lickety-split...no more cold start injector leak, vacuum leaks gone, 330K and running like a top!

SWORDFISH

So rocketman your telling me you know the same about the contract and UPS policy as you did when you very first started?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Who cares about the contract?

Just do your job and be happy. Don't get wrapped up in the details of the contract or the management side will and guess who "loses" when it comes to who carries baggage home and mulls over it.
What I'm saying is that we should all keep UPS in the proper perspective. I am a Sup and a "Partner" and play the role by day, but once off property, I am "ME".
Lot's of threads are hostile. Mainly union/management. What does that do for us mentally?
There is a thread called: "Is management brainwashed" and it seems so argumentative. Yes; management is brainwashed and so is non-management.
BC seems to have become a bitch board and it's not as fun as it used to be.

JMO:happy-very:

Last edited:

Raw

Raw Member
It`s very difficult to attend union meetings 20 miles away on a saturday morning after working all week. I need weekends for my family and me unless a dire situation arises that I need support with! I know hard core union members won`t like that but I pay my dues every week for well over 20 years now! :peaceful:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a union meeting in a couple of weeks. The local sets it up about a mile from the center at 6:30 after work. Usually about 8 to 10 drivers show up. Sad.

brown bomber

brown bomber
630 union meeting after work ???? You've got to be kidding me.....in our bldg. I don't think a single driver could attend.........most don't even return to bldg. until after 1900

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It`s very difficult to attend union meetings 20 miles away on a saturday morning after working all week. I need weekends for my family and me unless a dire situation arises that I need support with! I know hard core union members won`t like that but I pay my dues every week for well over 20 years now! :peaceful:

I don't go to my meetings. I have to drive 120 miles one way to get there. :knockedout:

fethrs

Who cares about the contract?

Just do your job and be happy. Don't get wrapped up in the details of the contract or the management side will and guess who "loses" when it comes to who carries baggage home and mulls over it.
What I'm saying is that we should all keep UPS in the proper perspective. I am a Sup and a "Partner" and play the role by day, but once off property, I am "ME".
Lot's of threads are hostile. Mainly union/management. What does that do for us mentally?
There is a thread called: "Is management brainwashed" and it seems so argumentative. Yes; management is brainwashed and so is non-management.
BC seems to have become a bitch board and it's not as fun as it used to be.

JMO:happy-very:

Who cares about the contract?!?
I DO!
When management decides to dissolve my job I should just stand back and say "Ok, fine, who cares about the contract?" Right! That makes a lot of sense!
I wonder if you honor the contract at all with your employess?
Bitch fest indeed. It's posts like this that brihg out the bitching.:peaceful:

SWORDFISH

I DO!
When management decides to dissolve my job I should just stand back and say "Ok, fine, who cares about the contract?" Right! That makes a lot of sense!

Consider the source of the information though(management and not all but most would say that).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local (687) encompasses two counties so they alternate holding the meetings in Potsdam and here in Plattsburgh. Potsdam is about 90 miles away. The last meeting I attended was our pre-strike meeting in '97.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I DO!
The ones who helped create and enforce our jobs are long gone. The new Teamster leaders are saying "who cares about the contract" along with the company at this point. Take what we can get as long as we can get it, hopefully we'll have part-time jobs along with seniority when the razing of the 22.3 is complete in coming months and years.

dillweed

It would take me over an hour to drive to our meetings so I don't go. However, I'd love to ask them some hard questions and request honest answers. Wonder if they would threaten to boot me out of their building the way my center manager once did when I asked him for an honest answer...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would take me over an hour to drive to our meetings so I don't go. However, I'd love to ask them some hard questions and request honest answers. Wonder if they would threaten to boot me out of their building the way my center manager once did when I asked him for an honest answer...

Does your local have a website? If so, why not put your questions in an e-mail? This way your BA could take the time to give you solid answers, not answers off the cuff.

Our local is also 100+ miles away and the meetings are usually held late in the day on a Saturday. It would be possible to go to the meetings, but then would have to drive home making for a very long day. When someone works 10-12 hours M-friend the last thing they want to do is drive another 200-300 miles and eat up a good day to relax. The only meetings they ever held here was in the months proceeding a contract vote, one sometimes two meetings. Those I did attend. None contract years...no meetings here.
One thing we could do, is have center union meetings with input from the BA even if he didn't want to make that drive as well. The stewards could hold the meetings. They never tried that either to my knowledge.

dillweed

Gosh, upstate, I didn't know we could do that! Thanks for the info. Not sure that I can ask hard questions to my BA as he was in a meeting once with our union rep, center manager, lower level center manager, two pt sups and the culprit.
He peed down his leg just like the rest of them and I was later advised "don't say another word".
:dissapointed: