wrongful termination and harassment

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Why does he need a note if he has sick days?
Because he was told that he was going to be fired if he didn't bring one in. I don't know how it is where you are, but in my building drivers don't get walked off the property for a call in. There is more to this story.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Because he was told that he was going to be fired if he didn't bring one in. I don't know how it is where you are, but in my building drivers don't get walked off the property for a call in. There is more to this story.
I hear what you are saying. I am just reading his post and replying to a post by brownmonster. Drivers don't get walked out of my building for a call in. Management doesn't always do the right thing, either. There may very well be more to this story. It could be as is. Neither of us were there. Sunday morning quarterbacking is easy, too. Some things that occur in the outlying centers are often impossible to believe.

blaze123

I agree, you should be in contact with your BA. How ever if the company fires you for dishonesty , they should provide more detail and proof that you intent to deceive the company. As well dishonesty is a opinion unless the company has a witness disputing your statement. I recall a driver that had a accident by hitting something. the company fired hime for dihonesty since he didn't report it. The employee didn't know of the accident so didn't report it. However the resident seen him hit the mail bos while backing out of the drive. He was not made aware. result "fired" Even though he stated he didn't know he had hit the mail box. They just call him a liar and that was it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why go through all of the aggravation that he is going through? If they want a note, get one. He didn't have an excuse and calls in sick too much.

UPSGUY72

+1

I hear what you are saying. I am just reading his post and replying to a post by brownmonster. Drivers don't get walked out of my building for a call in. Management doesn't always do the right thing, either. There may very well be more to this story. It could be as is. Neither of us were there. Sunday morning quarterbacking is easy, too. Some things that occur in the outlying centers are often impossible to believe.

Why wouldn't he call his BA that is the only person that is going to get him his job back. I'm sure he knows how things operate with the union since this isn't the first time he has been in trouble. He was a PT SUP for 3 years. The story he is trying to sell to us is incomplete at the least.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why go through all of the aggravation that he is going through? If they want a note, get one. He didn't have an excuse and calls in sick too much.
He should get a note just to cover his ass. My point was more general in terms of being able to call in if he has sick days.
(mind you, the company usually cuts a check every year for my sick days as I tend not to call in.)

menotyou

bella amicizia
+1

Why wouldn't he call his BA that is the only person that is going to get him his job back. I'm sure he knows how things operate with the union since this isn't the first time he has been in trouble. He was a PT SUP for 3 years. The story he is trying to sell to us is incomplete at the least.

I am starting to agree.

705red

Browncafe Steward
1st contact your local union, Steward if you know one, an agent or even the Sec/treas if you dont hear back within a day.

2nd have them file a grievance on article 50, since that is what you have been fired under. 37 would only be a waste right now since you are claiming this after the fact of being fired, looks like sour grapes in many peoples eyes.

3rd write down everything you have said, its good to keep a daily journal when your being harassed. Discuss it with you union rep, but no need to bring this up as a reason you were fired.

4th during your case stick to the facts, you took your wife to the Dr. Get a note from them saying she was seen there that day, get your insurance paperwork showing that she was treated that day.

5th apply form FMLA, this should have been done a while ago, especially if you plan on taking time off.

There is a time limit on filing grievances for discipline, make sure you get a copy of it ASAP, also get a contract and learn it. UPS has just created another good Teamster driver.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Unless he did not go to the Dr with his wife, the company paid him a sick day and he was out seen at a game, movie, bar drinking etc. He was fired he said for dishonesty, not attendance. So there could very well be more to it. Thats why when I call in, I say im not coming in, I never say im sick, busy whatever, the company doesnt need to know why im not working, only that im not working.

tieguy

Banned
he got fired from the site too.....:)

Honestly I think it goes back to my other point. Posters like to come here and selectively feed us some sob story. they then get evasive when they start getting questions.

we could probably save a lot of web space if they had to go through a trial period before they were allowed to start a thread here.

UPSGUY72

Unless he did not go to the Dr with his wife, the company paid him a sick day and he was out seen at a game, movie, bar drinking etc. He was fired he said for dishonesty, not attendance. So there could very well be more to it. Thats why when I call in, I say im not coming in, I never say im sick, busy whatever, the company doesnt need to know why im not working, only that im not working.

When I call in I call from my cell phone, I always ask for a SUP and I only say I'm booking off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There has got to be more to this than the OP is telling us. There is no way they are going to fire a guy for bringing his 8 1/2 months pregnant wife to her doctor's appointment because he did want her driving on icy roads.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There has got to be more to this than the OP is telling us. There is no way they are going to fire a guy for bringing his 8 1/2 months pregnant wife to her doctor's appointment because he did want her driving on icy roads.

Look at the company we all work for....this company has probably tried to fire people for much less....question for you upstate...have you ever received a warning letter or suspension from ups in your 20 plus years with the company????

menotyou

bella amicizia
UPS will do anything. Don't ever be surprised at how vile the company can be. As for the poster, there seems to be a lot of people posting questions, never to return for the response posts they apparently wanted.