You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not entirely sure but i think the latest FO commit time we currently have is 11 AM. Insome remote areas we're lucky to get on the road by that time, nevermind guaranteeing delivery that early.

Our earliest EAM commit time locally is 9 am. We (drivers) don't start until 9:30 so we either use an air driver or have a FT driver start early.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Our earliest EAM commit time locally is 9 am. We (drivers) don't start until 9:30 so we either use an air driver or have a FT driver start early.
Why such a late start? Other thsn the fact that it saves the company money at the expense of customer service. Just curious.

Cactus

With all the issues we have with late freight, this is the definition of insanity and a total disconnect from what's happening in Ops.
And it sounds like Thornton's way of thinking and that's usually a trainwreck.

MAKAVELI

Why such a late start? Other thsn the fact that it saves the company money at the expense of customer service. Just curious.
Because they don't load their trucks. I imagine their start time coincides with the end of their sort.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good question. They tell us it is because we can't get our loads any earlier.

Express actually starts at about the same time that we do.

Ground has already been on the road for an hour or two by the time we hit the street.

dex 84

That's what we do for FO service. I don't think it's feasible everywhere though. I think they decide whether to offer it based on the time the ramp gets its freight and the distance from the ramp to the station and the station to the delivery area.

El Morado Diablo

Latest rumor at our station:

FO service to be offered every where! we have domicile/extended rtes. that would be +200 miles from station for 1 FO pkg.... They usually get freight

The rumor we heard was that they want to offer FO service in PM areas with a 1400 commit time.

BigTex61

The rumor we heard was that they want to offer FO service in PM areas with a 1400 commit time.
Then that means the poor sap in the pm area will have to do the FO stuff first, then do his route. That's how they do it on Saturday here. Really Jack's up your day because the FO isn't factored into how DRA routes you.

Cactus

Can anybody give me a good reason why there would be a need FO service in these highly remote areas?

Cactus

They might be trying to cater to business customers.
Can't imagine that would be real lucrative business at that, but that's FedEx marketing for 'ya. They really don't understand how doing stuff like this affects the whole operation. Either that or they're desperate for ideas these days.

El Morado Diablo

Can't imagine that would be real lucrative business at that, but that's FedEx marketing for 'ya. They really don't understand how doing stuff like this affects the whole operation. Either that or they're desperate for ideas these days.

We didn't change the world offering Sunday service and our Morning 2Day service doesn't seem to be a hit. That hasn't stopped Memphis from thinking they are great ideas. <shrug>

Cactus

We didn't change the world offering Sunday service and our Morning 2Day service doesn't seem to be a hit. That hasn't stopped Memphis from thinking they are great ideas. <shrug>
Might as well offer graveyard shift residential signature required service to high crime areas too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And it sounds like Thornton's way of thinking and that's usually a trainwreck.

This sounds right. Why offer a service you can't really provide, given the sorry state of on-time freight. Fred will happily take your money and then not refund it when your FO becomes an E2.

Status
Not open for further replies.