Your on car and delivery routine

bdmiz

I'm making an effort to perfect my methods and I'm looking for input as to what you go through when making a delivery. I realize all stops are different but I'm looking for a general thought process.

Input appreciated.

brownrodster

Have 5-30 stops sorted. Get to place. Park. Open bulkhead door. Grab package(s). Walk to stop and either DR or obtain signiature. Walk back to truck. Get in truck using hand rail. Sit in seat and turn on ignition while fastening my seatbelt. Drive to next stop.

I don't chat with anybody. When I DR I ring bell and knock and walk straight back to truck. I don't waste any time. I take lunch on route usually stopping very close to my next stop. I beat damn near any route I know and I follow all the methods.

SmithBarney

If in an unfamiliar area(or even a familiar area)
I used to(and still do for Saturdays) use a cheat sheet.

although with EDD now you shouldn't technically need it
but its nice to have something to glance at for those
with short memory-span... although when I'm in town its
not a problem, but when I have a 15-40 minute drive to the next stop sometimes I forget the number.. LOL

govols019

You smell that?
Dang, I had forgotten all about the cheat sheets. I remember many a times of searching the truck for a piece of scrap paper to make mine. LOL

BigBrownSanta

http://www.tdu.org/teamster-resources

Go to this site and download the 340 methods. Read through these methods and picture yourself doing them as you read. Take one or two things and concentrate on doing them right for at least a week, maybe two weeks. Do them until they are second nature. After you get used to doing it that way, speed will come later.

Work at a steady pace. Don't try to get ahead of yourself or else you will start making mistakes. When you start making mistakes you end up having to do twice as much work.

I hope that helps.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My on car routine starts just before the PCM after I have downloaded EDD. I quickly go through and use the RES/COM key for my NDA SVRs. I also check my NDA to make sure I can deliver them all on time. When on road the key word for me is flexibility, which means adjusting my routine based upon things beyond my control. For example, my first stop every day is WalMart. I can normally get right on a door but there are days when I can't. I have to decide if I want to wait or if I go to Sam's, deliver, and then come back and hope no one else is waiting for a door, knowing that I need to get rid of WalMart so that I can move around in the pkg car. I usually have the next 5-10 stops lined up in my head. Residential stops are done as efficiently as possible with little customer interaction (unless I know them and even then it is usually just a few words) while commercial stops usually allow you a little more time to bs while still making the delivery. I stay on trace at least 90% of the time but do break trace if there is a bulk stop that, if delivered, would make it much easier for me to move around in the pkg car. I have several businesses which receive CODs that, if I call ahead, will have all of the checks ready to go when I get there. I also have several customers who have my cell and will meet me on road if they need their pkgs earlier than I can get there. Pickups are handled in the same manner, following trace while maintaining the +/- 15 min window.

Being organized, focused and possessing a sense of urgency will all serve you well in this job, as will a sense of humor and the ability to not take things personally.

leastbest

LeastBest
Our PCMs start exactly at start time so there is no time to get EDD or go through the board for anything. That would be working off the clock.

As soon as it's start time I get EDD as the meeting is going. We start so late now (9:00) and I have 35 miles to my first stop my only thoughts are my air. They have made things so tight that all you basically do is look at the next few stops and deliver them.

Thank goodness I lost that sense of urgency stuff a long time ago. I have kept my sense of humor but take things personally.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our PCMs start exactly at start time so there is no time to get EDD or go through the board for anything. That would be working off the clock.

As soon as it's start time I get EDD as the meeting is going. We start so late now (9:00) and I have 35 miles to my first stop my only thoughts are my air. They have made things so tight that all you basically do is look at the next few stops and deliver them.

Thank goodness I lost that sense of urgency stuff a long time ago. I have kept my sense of humor but take things personally.

Whatever--you are telling me that to download EDD and go through to see what you have, to check your NDA and to use the RES/COM key for your NDA SVRs, which, BTW, takes all of 5 minutes, is "working off the clock"? Going through your pkg car before start time is working off the clock. Going through your DIAD is working smart and can be done while your are sitting there BSing waiting for the PCM to start.

leastbest

LeastBest
All work you do for the company whether it be downloading EDD or talking to a sup about a customer problem is paid for time. I work, they pay me, no problem.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Have 5-30 stops sorted. Get to place. Park. Open bulkhead door. Grab package(s). Walk to stop and either DR or obtain signiature. Walk back to truck. Get in truck using hand rail. Sit in seat and turn on ignition while fastening my seatbelt. Drive to next stop.

I don't chat with anybody. When I DR I ring bell and knock and walk straight back to truck. I don't waste any time. I take lunch on route usually stopping very close to my next stop. I beat damn near any route I know and I follow all the methods.

You forgot to close your bulkhead. You're fired!

ikoi62

All work you do for the company whether it be downloading EDD or talking to a sup about a customer problem is paid for time. I work, they pay me, no problem.
i couldn't agree more.
why even have the Diad before start time? when i got to work i would just go to the diad and punch in,and leave it in the slot.im still on my time till the pcm.
and something taking 5 minutes to do like getting edd and checking stops in it just like going to the truck and working..its done on the clock.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i couldn't agree more.
why even have the Diad before start time? when i got to work i would just go to the diad and punch in,and leave it in the slot.im still on my time till the pcm.
and something taking 5 minutes to do like getting edd and checking stops in it just like going to the truck and working..its done on the clock.

You both are entitled to and I respect your opinions; however, I personally do not see anything wrong with grabbing my DIAD, punching in, downloading and then going through EDD to see what my day has in store for me. We have 26-29 drivers on the road daily and I would have to say that at least 1/2 do this as well. IMO this differs from actually being in the pkg car sorting as I am simply going through to see what NDA I have, if I have any extra work or if they pulled a section, and to see what, if any, bulk stops I have that I may have to plan ahead for. I am not getting in my preloaders way and there is little if any chance that I will get hurt.

As for the paid for time, I'm fairly certain I can make up the 5 minutes sometime during my day but won't sweat it if I don't.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
So everytime you do something during the day that does not directly involve your job do you punch out? Ask a travel agent a question about a destination, punch out. Buy a soda in a machine, punch out. Grab a candy bar at the mini-mart, punch out. Talk a minute about the ball game, punch out.

ikoi62

You have your opinion and like you i respect it.

But everything you describe is the same as going to the truck and looking.Before the diad that is exactly what people did, go to the truck to see what bulk you have and what split was pulled or not,and also look at the airs they have.
and i believe that the 5 minutes a day it takes you should be paid for.
And if you did make that time up during the day i'm sure in these times that Ups would have no problem disciplining you for it.

as for the person who started this thread im sorry to have changed the subject some.
if you follow what methods you were taught you will do fine.

barnyard

KTM rider
We just went to EDD in Oct. My 1st 50-70 stops are downtown businesses. I have the EDD set up that it is run in order 100%. I break trace at the same point to run air and am able to start back up at a point where I am pointing in the right direction for all right turns. If my 1st 10 stops are really heavy, then I might break off earlier for NDA, but that is a once a month or so exception.

Once I finish my last downtown business, I set up the rest of my day. I have not been able to arrange EDD to be able to set up my resis. Even though I run 100% for my 1st 50-70 stops, I am usually right around 80% for my entire day.

I set up the rest of my day, so that I have a handle on the rest of the businesses that I like to get off before my break. I usually take a full hour, instead of breaking it up into 3-20 minute breaks or whatever. It also gives me an idea of how many stops I will be doing after my pick ups. It also tells me if I might be in a position to help someone if asked.

I also generally scan the EDD list when I have long walks at a stop. I am frequently able to find packages for resis that I am also delivering to their business. Some people like getting their stuff at work and if I can find it, I try to do it.

I can scratch my route, but only if I do not have to pull out the 2-wheeler. Bulk kills my route.

TB

Overpaid Union Thug

That's pretty much my day. I don't sort anything unless I'm going to be delivering on a dangerous road. I don't feel comfortable having to dig for packages while parked in a dangerous area. The people we share the road with are inpatient and dangerous. After lunch I move all the packages that are left to the front of the truck.

As far as getting EDD goes....yeah, I agree that it's working off the clock but if you really think about it the act of just getting the DIAD out of the DIAD holders could be considered working off the clock as well. So, if we all waited until start time to get our DIADs then it would be chaos. Most people would be late in our center. There isn't enough room for everyone to grab their DIADs all at once. I get mine about 8:10-8:15 and download EDD to see my NDAs. Then I put the DIAD away and forget about it until 8:30.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If in an unfamiliar area(or even a familiar area)
I used to(and still do for Saturdays) use a cheat sheet.

although with EDD now you shouldn't technically need it
but its nice to have something to glance at for those
with short memory-span... although when I'm in town its
not a problem, but when I have a 15-40 minute drive to the next stop sometimes I forget the number.. LOL
My cheat sheet is pre-recording. LOL Not PAS yet. LOL

upsdude

I scan my EDD for residential stops I can run along with residential NDA. I hate having to drive down that out of the way street twice! Sometimes I’m able to deliver a small section of a neighborhood while getting the air off. Makes a difference during the afternoon.