Your random UPS stories

brownboxman

A year ago I was given a helper for one day. Her name was Michelle as I often do I asked her about her life. She was 24 yrs old the mother of a little 2 yr old, married to a 25 year old guy that had open heart surgery 6 mnths earlier. She had been working odd jobs since the surgery and was not able to find steady work. Well this was two weeks before Christmas and the other job she had was ending the first of the year. They were living with a cousin and had two rooms in his house which he was charging $800 per month.

As a custom in my rather large family we stopped giving gifts to each other and tried to find someone who needed help. Well this one day with Michelle was enough to get the family on-board with helping her and her little family. We ended up collecting a mountain of gifts and $1400 to give to them.

So this year I asked them to tell us how their year went. Well the hand up we gave them got them by till they were both able to find jobs and get a small condo. So this year they wanted to be part of our giving, I just thought it was a great story on how even though our jobs seem meaningless, there can be a reason to being a UPS driver. Happy New Year!

ol'browneye

One time years ago, making a res delivery, a young lady opens the door holding about a 6 month old child. I set the package on the floor beside her, go to pass her the stylus and she drops it. She bends over to pick it up, and while straitening into a standing position, baby grabs hold of the collar around moms shirt and out pops mom's left boob. Well she's standing there just about in tears and completely red from embarrasement. I simply tell her not to be embarrassed, happens all the time *LOL*

Well my boobie shot this year happened to have a newborn baby attached to it!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Peak early this century, forgot what year, we're unloading our pick-ups (really small center) myself and another driver were loading the boxes from the rollers (no power belt either) to the 28 footer and had to hop inside to unload the rollers in the pup. Every time this one parcel got jostled we'd hear knock, knock, knock Hello, Heellllloooo, Would somebody Pleeaasssee let me outta here! Sure hope it was a toy going to some college student!

I have that exact toy you are talking about. It is actually a key chain that looks like a wooden crate with and eye peeking out of it. When you press the button on the side it does exactly what you described.

over9five

Staff member
Easy guys. I know Socks, and he would have selflessly thrown himself on those grenades to save his union employees.

upser_J

I’m tired of that ex-cop he walks around all big and tall like he owns the place. He speaks like he knows better then you. And has an ego to match. Every UPS building in the nation has one of these types of people. You probably know one yourself, straight up problem and trouble makers.

Thanks!
as sad as it is to say, people who think they are better than everyone else deserve what they get

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
One day I was talking to a driver of mine I had. He told me a story about a school he went to often. He saw, most of the time, three kids standing outside with a teacher and doing chores, like picking up trash.

Pretty much the whole time he was going to this location, the same three kids. But the day before, he came up to drop off about 30 packages. I loaded them so I knew what he was talking about. All the same shape and about 30 pounds each. The size, small, perhaps papers of some sort.

He came up and the teacher with the three kids marched up. The teacher told him to place the packages on the end and the kids will take them. He asked him " why are these three kids always out here with you?". The teacher told him they were being bad and they got punished. Of course, these kids for the longest time were really REALLY bad.

These kids were no older then 8-10. And they were pretty much forced to take each of these boxes, about 30 feet, one at a time into a office.

He shared this story with me the next day and we both started laughing hard! I mean omg, such bad kids and forced into hard labor to perhaps cure them.

That teacher deserves the teacher of the year award, hands down! XD

as sad as it is to say, people who think they are better than everyone else deserve what they get

Amen!

island1fox

:happy2:A true story that helped me greatly through my 36 years at Ups.
In the mid 70's I was in my twenties and as a young supervisor -I was put in charge of a fulltime preload in the strong Ron Carey Local 804 area.
In those years the full time Preloads ran from 10:00 pm to 9:00 am--tough hours.
At the time America was suffering with "Hong Kong Flu" I caught the flu very bad but went into work because I did not want to screw a day supervisor who would have been forced to double shift.
The Fulltime Preloader's in their late forties and fifties had many more years experience than I did.
A tough Union Steward-His name was Jamie --saw how sick I was --took me into the Empty managers office and told me to go to sleep --I objected and told Jamie I could not do that --He insisted --He told me he would run the sort and do his job.
The next morning the Preload was finished early --with all the splits made and the cars washed and closed.
Jamie with a big handshake and a big smile --asked me not to tell the union nor upper mgmt what he and the crew had done.
I loved working with those experienced people and the "life" lessons served me well. Wherever you are Jamie ---A very Sincere Thank You again !!!:happy2: I believe I learned more from him than any mgmt school UPS sent me to!!!!

tarbar66

:happy2:A true story that helped me greatly through my 36 years at Ups.
In the mid 70's I was in my twenties and as a young supervisor -I was put in charge of a fulltime preload in the strong Ron Carey Local 804 area.
In those years the full time Preloads ran from 10:00 pm to 9:00 am--tough hours.
At the time America was suffering with "Hong Kong Flu" I caught the flu very bad but went into work because I did not want to screw a day supervisor who would have been forced to double shift.
The Fulltime Preloader's in their late forties and fifties had many more years experience than I did.
A tough Union Steward-His name was Jamie --saw how sick I was --took me into the Empty managers office and told me to go to sleep --I objected and told Jamie I could not do that --He insisted --He told me he would run the sort and do his job.
The next morning the Preload was finished early --with all the splits made and the cars washed and closed.
Jamie with a big handshake and a big smile --asked me not to tell the union nor upper mgmt what he and the crew had done.
I loved working with those experienced people and the "life" lessons served me well. Wherever you are Jamie ---A very Sincere Thank You again !!!:happy2: I believe I learned more from him than any mgmt school UPS sent me to!!!!

Isn't it amazing the way things work out when you listen to someone else?
Back in the 60's I was told there were small centers that had lead drivers instead of daily supervision. Those guys could sure tell some stories about the good old days at UPS about what they did to get the job done.

northroad

I had nosies in my truck all morning. Could not find what it was. Sounded like scratching. I delivered a box tio a computor store. When the guy open it two live ducks flew out of it and almost destroyed his store. Funny as all hell. It was his birthday a gift from his friend.:happy-very:

northroad

Delivering in a rural area. Hot summer day. Went to the door nobody answered. The door was open screen closed. So I went to the back of the house. The lady of the house was sunning herself asleep on the lawn chair naked as a jay bird. The rest of the day was great.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had nosies in my truck all morning. Could not find what it was. Sounded like scratching. I delivered a box tio a computor store. When the guy open it two live ducks flew out of it and almost destroyed his store. Funny as all hell. It was his birthday a gift from his friend.:happy-very:

Delivering in a rural area. Hot summer day. Went to the door nobody answered. The door was open screen closed. So I went to the back of the house. The lady of the house was sunning herself asleep on the lawn chair naked as a jay bird. The rest of the day was great.

BS squared.