1 day on my own. Questions.

TG43

I've driven by myself for 1 day. I have a lot of questions but will just ask a few.

How do I tell how many stops I have in the morning? Is it in the Diad? It's probably sad that I don't know this...training at ups is terrible imo.

I drove the same route with my on car trainer (6.5 hours street time supposedly) but when I was by myself for the first time, I clearly had a section of town I never delivered to (about 30 stops). I don't know if they were pushing me to do more because I did well in training or if it was about the same number of stops I did in training (volume for the other part of the route may have been low).

I'm really confused if I'm supposed to follow the diad or not. First 2 days my sup said follow it. But we deferred a little. Then the 3rd day we went way off because businesses were way later in the day on the diad and he said we couldn't get to them that late. So I don't know what I'm supposed to be following. We have orion if that matters.

If I were to forget off-loading a couple airs when I got back, I'll probably be in deep :censored2: Monday I suppose ?

QKRSTKR

Sometimes you get new sections even though you are new. Keep track, in case you don't qualify. They use to gradually increase your paid day, and keep the same sections on you.

Ask a senior driver to show you where stops counts are. They are usually on a computer screen somewhere with all the routes. Know what your route # is. Also have someone show you on the big screens your Orion trace. Once you learn the route better, you will know your business stops and be able to adjust your deliveries.

Yes, deep crap for not unloading all your air. Keep track in Diad. Have a senoir driver show you or ask supervisor where in Diad you keep track. Depending on how many were missed, they could dq u.

TG43

What do I need to off-load when I get back? I know Airs and the moved stuff. Is there anything else. I don't even know what expedited means.

upschuck

Each building has their own requirements. Mine, all you unload are the hazmat p/u's, packages to be adjusted/will called, and high value. Everything else stays on the truck. Your building may vary.

Fedex Guy

You can check the computer for stop count, or you will notice that there are 8 stops to a page on your Diad. Big arrow down to count how many pages on your Diad and multiply by 8. There's your stop count. You can also hit the commit soft key on your Diad to bring all your commit times to the top of the page.

Pooter

The first week alone is usually 80% of the work load and slowly builds up to the full route. So expect your stop count to go up. At some point, you will get slammed. Don't freak out, just chip away.

They Cut and Paste routes regularly so you go out with a 8+ hour dispatch

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
you need to go to your sup with these questions. Also find your Steward and ask him. Your training has obviously been very bad. Let the Steward know that so if your disqualified they have some ammo to fight it and request you be retrained and try again.

Z

ZQXC

I've driven by myself for 1 day. I have a lot of questions but will just ask a few.

How do I tell how many stops I have in the morning? Is it in the Diad? It's probably sad that I don't know this...training at ups is terrible imo.

I drove the same route with my on car trainer (6.5 hours street time supposedly) but when I was by myself for the first time, I clearly had a section of town I never delivered to (about 30 stops). I don't know if they were pushing me to do more because I did well in training or if it was about the same number of stops I did in training (volume for the other part of the route may have been low).

I'm really confused if I'm supposed to follow the diad or not. First 2 days my sup said follow it. But we deferred a little. Then the 3rd day we went way off because businesses were way later in the day on the diad and he said we couldn't get to them that late. So I don't know what I'm supposed to be following. We have orion if that matters.

If I were to forget off-loading a couple airs when I got back, I'll probably be in deep :censored2: Monday I suppose ?

Segregate all of your NDA pickups on an empty shelf; same shelf every day. Easy to clear when you return to building. A tote box is handy for NDA smalls and letters.

OMS, Supe., or another driver should be able to show you how to print out a hard copy of all your del. stops. Personally I don't like to view them like that: too scary. Eight lines at a time is good enough for me.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
:notalone:Don't :panicsmiley: As long as you try hard and don't crash into anything you will be fine. They can't expect you to learn the 56,246 rules and regulations required daily as a driver in first 30 days. Relax and stay safe. Skip your lunch and breaks your first 30 then come back on this forum often and pay attention you'll be fine. Good luck:beersmiley:

S

selfcancelsignal

:notalone:Don't :panicsmiley: As long as you try hard and don't crash into anything you will be fine. They can't expect you to learn the 56,246 rules and regulations required daily as a driver in first 30 days. Relax and stay safe. Skip your lunch and breaks your first 30 then come back on this forum often and pay attention you'll be fine. Good luck:beersmiley:
It can be difficult, but don't get overwhelmed w/ the amount of parcels on your shelves still at certain times. If you need to, take a little break, a deep breath, & refocus. A little advice given to me by 1 of our centers best senior drivers while I was qualifying. It's funny how in some neighborhoods, the parcels just "fly off".

Sent from my rotary phone.

upschuck

On my first day alone, I ran 2-3 hours over, and had to have sup met me before pu's to take business off. He said I needed to be farther along at that time. Well duh. Got better everyday and finally was able to beat their numbers after about maybe 15 days.(boy that was a long time ago). There was two of us training then and they didn't think she was going to qualify, but she did too.

TG43

Ok. Thanks guys.

My on car trainer is very knowledgeable...I could see he knows how to do the job...but whenever I had a problem, say with the diad, he would just take it and fix it for me...that was frustrating...I wanted the diad in my hand and fixing it myself. He was like just don't hit the wrong button, but I KNEW I would and would need to know how to get out of those situations. I figured it out quickly the first day, just up/down arrow when it shows and extra scan by mistake.

Same with off-loading, he always did it and just told me in training (was always in a big hurry to get out of work I think). I learn much better hands-on rather than just being told how to do something.

Thanks for the advice.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Going to be hard to qualify because of ORION(WHICH DOESNT WORK) idiot dispatches and the STEVIE WONDER loads. If it were me id go in an hour to an hour and a half early and go through your truck to get the load to the point where you know where every thing is at, skip your lunch, run like a freakin idiot, and take pictures of the load everyday if you decide not to come in super early every morning. Remember your first 30 to 40 days are the most important til you qualify. Hope this helps.

TG43

For the scheduled pickups...they need to be within 15 minutes before or after the scheduled time, correct? I wonder when that time starts exactly. I wonder if I start scanning 16 minutes before the scheduled time, if that shows up as too early and if I start scanning 14 minutes later than scheduled time, if that's too late?

Air deliveries in EDD aren't important as far as time of delivery right?

How about pickups in EDD...as long as it's after the time in EDD and before business close????

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
For the scheduled pickups...they need to be within 15 minutes before or after the scheduled time, correct? I wonder when that time starts exactly. I wonder if I start scanning 16 minutes before the scheduled time, if that shows up as too early and if I start scanning 14 minutes later than scheduled time, if that's too late?

Air deliveries in EDD aren't important as far as time of delivery right?

How about pickups in EDD...as long as it's after the time in EDD and before business close????
Relax. Christ. Your making this way harder than it is. friend time of delivery. friend pu time compliance. Your tring to qualify Get done soon as possible and worry about everything else later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Start scanning what? The only thing you have to scan is the end of day barcode summary. The +/- 15 is 15 minutes on either side of the pickup commit time.

Air deliveries have a commit time based on the level of service. This commit time is shown in EDD and, yes, they must be delivered before their time commit.

Pickups in EDD----are you talking about on-call pickups? Those are supposed to be picked up within 15 minutes of the time that you put in the DIAD but this is not as big a deal as the +/- 15 min.

I think you may need more time with a sup on road.

Docparcel79

Relax . Breathe. The only thing you should worry about is.
1.Getting EDD before you leave.
2. Getting airs off on time
3. Getting businesses off.
4. Get your PUs done.
5. Get your houses off
6. Get Airs back to building.
7. Don't hit anything or get hit
8. You get paid by the hour, don't worry about O/A.
My 8 keys to being a driver. Everything else will be memorization

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im with the kid. These idiots are making it way harder to qualify nowadays than what it used to be. The cards are so stacked against these new guys its ridiculous. The jobs hard enough and complicated enough for us vets, because of how poopy everything is done. Nothing is done right. I would hate to be one of these new guys trying to qualify. They've pretty much set them up for failure from the get go. Us vets no how to solve the problems these idiots send us out with everyday, pretty quickly on the fly cause we know what kind of bullshiznitt errors they make. These new guys have no clue. Honestly I feel bad for them cause ups has pretty much set them up to fail.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Got spanked a few times on the 15 minute thing. It's 14 minutes either way. If its a a 3:15 pickup stop complete it between 3:01 and 3:29.

TG43

Start scanning what? The only thing you have to scan is the end of day barcode summary.

I think you may need more time with a sup on road.

I understand, one of my end of day pickups doesn't have the sheet to scan. They always have 5 pallets, about 60 packages. Talk about time consuming scanning every one and loading them. Told my sup it would take me a lot longer there since one of us wasn't going to be scanning while the other was loading, I'd be on my own, don't think he understood of course lol.

I'm on my own Monday again I think then sup back on car Tuesday.