1 day on my own. Questions.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Yes, I qualified a while ago. I got the hang of that route pretty good, it was alright. I never took a full lunch and break, usually 25 minute lunch. If I can at least eat I'm usually ok (as in not upset) but I would really like to take my full lunch and not work for free.

I'm on a new route. Been on it for about a week and a half. I usually stop at Hess and take a 10 minute lunch. I get back at 7:30. They gave me a real hard time yesterday about it because of pick up pieces. So today I skipped lunch altogether and literally ran. Clocked out like 7. Not happy at all. Have an interview coming up. If I could make full time in a couple years I'd stick it out but I'm looking at 10 years to make full time. Glad I gave it a shot instead of just wondering but it's just not for me.

I think a lot of people run/skip there lunch which has made routes ridiculously long. I could be wrong. I watched one kid run delivering a package to my house before I started there, then he told me at work that he likes to run for the exercise. My safety guy that was training me told me he runs (not sure if he meant literally) and skips his lunch and hasn't been over scratch for over a year, even on a new route.

This has been iterated a billion times on this forum, DONT RUN. If you have too much work give them a 2200 eta, they'll send someone to get your pickups then file 9.5 grievances and either get a reduced dispatch or extra income in grievance money, you pay union dues for this very reason, use it!

Sent using BrownCafe App

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Welcome to the new united parcel system. If you take your breaks, don't speed , and follow methods you are a " slacker /slug" I can't imagine what it will be like in 10 years from now. New guys running there balls off like this now, I can only imagine......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Welcome to the new united parcel system. If you take your breaks, don't speed , and follow methods you are a " slacker /slug" I can't imagine what it will be like in 10 years from now. New guys running there balls off like this now, I can only imagine......
Yep..totally right...and the union hasn't done :censored2: about it. This is the exact reason that ohsa records on injuries and accidents at ups need to be public record. We don't work for a very nice company...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I honestly believe that the union could stop much of this harassment and production whore attitude at this job but choose not to for whatever reason...

TG43

This has been iterated a billion times on this forum, DONT RUN. If you have too much work give them a 2200 eta, they'll send someone to get your pickups then file 9.5 grievances and either get a reduced dispatch or extra income in grievance money, you pay union dues for this very reason, use it!

I had a bunch of crap typed out but won't bore you with it.

What's this 9.5 stuff? I don't know how that works.

I can only imagine how fun this job is in the winter. In a foot of snow and finding houses in the dark at 4:30. I mean I'm sure they understand and give more time for that stuff. lol

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Pickups in EDD----are you talking about on-call pickups? Those are supposed to be picked up within 15 minutes of the time that you put in the DIAD
You're the only person I've ever heard say that. When I was initially trained as a driver the on-car said to just put the latest time in the board it will allow. The customer can't see it and there is no compliance metric for that other than missed commitment report for not getting it done before the close time on the pickup.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What's this 9.5 stuff? I don't know how that works.
There is a list you can get on eventually where you have been made to work over 9 1/2 hours three times in one week and do not wish to again.

I can only imagine how fun this job is in the winter. In a foot of snow and finding houses in the dark at 4:30. I mean I'm sure they understand and give more time for that stuff. lol
Daylight is huge. Once it gets dark and you don't have house numbers memorized, you slow down substantially.
Get something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24644946

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're the only person I've ever heard say that. When I was initially trained as a driver the on-car said to just put the latest time in the board it will allow. The customer can't see it and there is no compliance metric for that other than missed commitment report for not getting it done before the close time on the pickup.

We had a PCM on this a few weeks ago and it turns out that I was wrong. OCA's need only be picked up before the commit time and will end up on a report if picked up late or not picked up at all. If the commit time sent through the DIAD is too early you can send an ODS and request that it be changed to a later time.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We had a PCM on this a few weeks ago and it turns out that I was wrong. OCA's need only be picked up before the commit time and will end up on a report if pickede up late or not picked up at all. If the commit time sent through the DIAD is too early you can send an ODS and request that it be changed to a later time.

Upstate admits he is wrong? Truly a sign of the Apocalypse. (Just kidding Dave. Thanks for the info.)

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There is a list you can get on eventually where you have been made to work over 9 1/2 hours three times in one week and do not wish to again.

Daylight is huge. Once it gets dark and you don't have house numbers memorized, you slow down substantially.
Get something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24644946
That's a reason why the post office doesn't like to deliver in the dark..production goes down quite a bit...have heard that from a couple different small town postmasters

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We had a PCM on this a few weeks ago and it turns out that I was wrong. OCA's need only be picked up before the commit time and will end up on a report if picked up late or not picked up at all. If the commit time sent through the DIAD is too early you can send an ODS and request that it be changed to a later time.
or just click override and type "they close at 1800, not 1700, please change" and they'll resend it to ya.

TG43

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I really didn't want to start a new one.

So...I asked my center manager (not sure if that's what he's called...center manager?) if I could change from pre-load to local sort/metro when I am not driving. He said I could and said he needed it in writing asap.

I wanted to make sure this was all good so I asked my union steward. He said go ahead and do it (put it in writing for him) but also mentioned I was hired as a driver so he didn't see the big deal.

I asked my center manager if he really needed it in writing (my word seems like it should be good enough, they know I make myself available in the evenings). He said he needed it in writing. It's a contractual obligation. He says I'm not a driver (huh????) and UPS doesn't hire part time drivers I think he said??????? wtf?

As far as I know I'm a cover driver. I've been there since March. I know cover driver isn't the technically correct term.

So what am I?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sorry to bring this thread back up but I really didn't want to start a new one.

So...I asked my center manager (not sure if that's what he's called...center manager?) if I could change from pre-load to local sort/metro when I am not driving. He said I could and said he needed it in writing asap.

I wanted to make sure this was all good so I asked my union steward. He said go ahead and do it (put it in writing for him) but also mentioned I was hired as a driver so he didn't see the big deal.

I asked my center manager if he really needed it in writing (my word seems like it should be good enough, they know I make myself available in the evenings). He said he needed it in writing. It's a contractual obligation. He says I'm not a driver (huh????) and UPS doesn't hire part time drivers I think he said??????? wtf?

As far as I know I'm a cover driver. I've been there since March. I know cover driver isn't the technically correct term.

So what am I?
They need in writing so you can't try to switch back before a specific time period has elapsed. We can switch shifts in my local...but once you switch..you can't switch back for 6 months I believe...might be a year. As far as what you are....why don't you ask your center manager....how do we know? It's your job.

TG43

They need in writing so you can't try to switch back before a specific time period has elapsed. We can switch shifts in my local...but once you switch..you can't switch back for 6 months I believe...might be a year. As far as what you are....why don't you ask your center manager....how do we know? It's your job.

He usually has 4 seconds of time for me every 3 months, so I will ask after peak.

He did say if I don't give him something in writing by the first I might get stuck on pre-load. Makes sense now. Thanks.