1 dead, 5 injured after truck hits motorcycles

Indecisi0n

Unbelievable. When are people going to wake up and realize you can't run truck drivers into the ground and not expect stuff like this to happen. A lot more people are going to have to die I guess. A shame.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Unbelievable. When are people going to wake up and realize you can't run truck drivers into the ground and not expect stuff like this to happen. A lot more people are going to have to die I guess. A shame.
Nah, they'll just add more hoops to jump through when doing our DOT physicals. They'll start measuring our thighs next? Surely that will eliminate all this.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
No one is safe on the side of the road.
Also
There was an article in our paper about lowering the age to 18 for cdl drivers.

Bottom rung

Prayers to the families. All the sleep apnea stuff is b.s. neck sizes and weight. Driving is hard work, maintaining focus and, awareness wears a guy out. Pile on the fact that he's probably in a rolling sweatshop. You've got a disaster waiting to happen. More hoops on a physical won't change the fact that this type of accident will keep happening. I knew a guy who shopped five doctors before passing. Drivers like him will just shop around more. Wasn't there a bill in the house this year about extending hours of service?

rod

Retired 22 years
I see idiots who will actually pullover and stop in a turn off lane to use their cell phone.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Precisely why ill never get a motorcycle. Fun to ride and I know how to ride but just not worth it because of too many freakin idiot drivers on the road. I had a buddy killed out in Cali when I was 18, just graduated not even 6 months before he got ran over by a tractor trailer. I said after his mom called me and gave me the bad news of his passing, ive kept my word to her and never bought 1 or ever rode again.

Precisely why ill never get a motorcycle. Fun to ride and I know how to ride but just not worth it because of too many freakin idiot drivers on the road...
I agree. There are way too many distracted drivers on the roads these days. In my state, it's illegal for commercial truck drivers to use a hand-held phone while driving, yet I see it happening all day long. As long as this continues, there will be tragedies like this. I'm not sure what the solution is, but something has to change!

I agree. There are way too many distracted drivers on the roads these days. In my state, it's illegal for commercial truck drivers to use a hand-held phone while driving, yet I see it happening all day long. As long as this continues, there will be tragedies like this. I'm not sure what the solution is, but something has to change!
It would be simple to shut off a call phone if the phone was moving faster then a set MPH. But then nobody would want it. Same way with putting governors on cars so they would not drive faster then, say 85MPH. Who would buy a Corvette that would only go 85 MPH.

newfie

can't use a hand held phone but can use a hand held CB microphone all day long.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ive gone to work with 7-8 hrs sleep and have had the hardest time staying awake all night. stop for power naps or stopping frequently to run around trailers to keep myself alert for another 50 miles.

also have had many nights with 3-4 hours sleep and have been wide awake all night with no problem.

I think it has a lot to do with your biorythisms. in the future they will attach a machine to your brain and see that your brain waves are right before you can drive.

rod

Retired 22 years
Dumb but at least they stopped. I see people all day texting and surfing the web while driving.

There are way better places to stop than a turn off lane. I would rather they continue to text and drive rather than block a turn off lane.