1 Occurrence = Many Misloads....

herbigharo32

In the hub I work at, it is becoming standard operating procedure to move those who have any misloads to either outbound or inbound loading trailers and air cans. This has nothing to do with my supervisor who has vouched for my stay in smalls. The main reason for such actions is lack of qualified new hires. I've seen lines of young men come in and tour the building. Most do not return. Of those that do, very few stay more than a month or two, sometimes less. Even the plant fore persons often are seen working the outbound belts and trucks. Welcome to a fresh generation of workers who never even had to mow the grass!! GOSH!!!

herbigharo32

I'm generally speaking of the under 25 crowd. Seems that alot of people who never worked warehouse or other harse environments are also showing up as of late too. While speaking to a coworker one time, we laughed at a dude who came in with a delicate silk shirt. He took an about face and walked out the door when he saw that outbound belt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not just UPS--the military has to had to rework (soften) its physical fitness programs because today's recruits are simply either too fat or out of shape to handle the previous ones.

herbigharo32

This one guy who was in the army said many new recruits landed in the infirmary with discharge papers due to not being able to make boot camp.

jennie

It's not just UPS--the military has to had to rework (soften) its physical fitness programs because today's recruits are simply either too fat or out of shape to handle the previous ones.

NY that is true, its crazy that some new people so young are so big, its scary. Out of all my kids I have to worry about my youngest. You just do not want to be overweight, its terrible out there as it is, and then forget if your big.

herbigharo32

KOOL!! Maybe UPS will start building airconditioned hubs :greedy: Perhaps even build snow domes so we can walk on fluries on our way in. The funny part will come when UPS calls up the local electric distributer and ask for lets say 10 megawatts of power and get a reply "Are you kidding me?". :sick:

Red Dawn

Here is what happened in small sorts this week. In a nutsell, a bag of letters was being scanned into a bag under the wrong destination tag. A small misunderstanding on reading destination codes caused me to accidentally send a bag of CitiBank collection letters to a neighboring hub in the northwest region causing 66 service failures. Many may not realize how just a simple understanding of numbers can cause such headache. For example, reading destination codes 08071 and 80712 would have the same meaning as 8071x . In mathematics, the number 08871 and 8871 are the same value. In a simple algebraic equation, 08871/8871 = 1 . And, 8871/08871 = 1 . The final interpretation was 08071 and 8071x would go to the same hub! OOPS! ! ! Keep in mind that this occurrence involved one bag, not multiple bags.

Now I am expecting a warning letter after being moved out of small sorts. The plan foreperson, told me that it was time to go to my new home. Already knowing what the address was, I knew exactly where to go.

First I would like to commend the supervisor who runs the small sorts operation as being both professional and reasonable. Both the current and previous supervisor does a good job and has far more patience in dealing with the "unique personalities" associated with that department.

Here are several problems I've observed while working in small sorts.

1. When such mistakes do happen, such does not get communicated down the line to prevent a future recurrence. Since I was deported to another area, another scanner can easily end up making the same mistake. I'm simply not there to warn others of this potential for mistakes. In this hub, it is common practice to move those who have several misload occurrences to another area in the building.

2. The biggest producers are the ones who got moved due to misloads. The simple law of mathematics applies, the more packages the more possible occurrences. This leaves the far more cautious scanners behind. While this cuts down on misloads, this also creates the potential of massive service failures due to mail not making it way out of the building on time. For example, you normally have 20,000 packages. Removing 3 people who normally scan a combined total of 5,000 pieces reduces your total capacity by 25%. This in turn ties up the whole operation from smalls to the outbound belt.

3. Excessive call outs/attendance problems leaves work stations vacated. This is really a large problem as scanners often must be moved around often to fill vacated work stations. One thing I discovered is that each area has its idiosyncrasies. Best to have a person who is familiar with all the kinks.

4. Bad work attitude and excessive gossiping wrecks more havoc than any of the above. When working the area, I heard constant complaints about filing grievances, having to work split shifts, bad mouthing, picking fights, and work slow downs. This leaves a select group of scanners who must pick up the slack. I'll admit that 90% of my misload problems was due to going at high speeds and taking a few risks hear and there.

Here are a few things I believe will result in major operations improvements and perhaps reduce misloads:

1. Have color coded RTS labels or have packages that are "return to sender" stamped "RTS" next to the bar code.
2. When a person causes a misload, take into consideration past production counts, did the employee realize how occurrence happened and present a game plan on preventing in future.
3. Amount of refunds issued to customers. Most misloads do not ultimately result client requesting refund.
4. Have an attendance scorecard. Employees must be accountable to missing work, excessive tardies, etc... Those who miss more than 3 days in a 6 month period should be spoken to about attendance. Those who are chronically late (over 5 min) on a frequent bases should also be held accountable.
5. Have all equipment in good working order. Packages have been known to fall out of bins with broken hinges; this could certainly cause a misload.
6. Chronic complainers should be counseled with supervisor and shop steward as to why they still want to work for UPS. One lady who worked for the company for 18 years kept fussing at me about not getting enough air from the fans and being too hot!! 18 years in the Big Brown oven and complained about be too hot!!! Try telling this to the shop steward who presents a "shot gun theory" to many things in life.

Well, I could go on and write a book and make a movie, but don't want to be late to the big brown machine. Perhaps, a TV show script can be written based on all the gossip from small sorts. Such TV show would fit very nicely between the D Rated cable gossipzine and AM infomercial which is about to begin as I head off to the Brown Machine. Have a great day.

herb,

Hate to be the one to tell you but your misloads were only a excuse they were looking for to remove you from small sort. I have never met you but have herd of how you creep out the lady's up stairs. ask your sup if they were not told that if they put you next to them again that they would beat the s---t out of you! Ask around how many people have made same mistake many times over and are still up stairs. I also would like to enlighten you a few things. Bellsmom started in feeder unload on noonday. was able to hold her own with the guys in the hot humid Texas heat. They had also had to put 2 drivers on her route when she was dissolved. Both drivers are in their early 20's. I could go with a lot more but don't want to waist anymore of my time. I know your speaking out of your youth and bright eyes. You have been at ups long enough to put in your letter.

herbigharo32

I have no way of knowing if you are speaking of me or someone else. I will go ahead and express a few rules of thumb I always follow regarding workplace relations:

1. Don't date women coworkers. No love = no pay is an old saying. I do date via other venues such as church, get togethers, and other meet up occasions.

2. Usually, I don't hang out with male coworkers during off duty times.

3. When work is done, leave work behind. I've never attended work place get togethers such as holiday parties, softball turnaments, etc...

4. When participating in concerted activities, don't reveal names, work locations or mention names of former or other employers. Browncafe is a good example.

On a personal note, I tend to be quite friendly and outgoing. Yes, I tend make the wrong impression due to my friendly nature. Being friendly does not construe an indication of personal interest of friendship and favors. This is a comman problem that transcend both sexes. Men who see women who smile all the time tend to think she is hitting on him to some degree. Women will often see men in the same light. I've had problems of women who thought I was interested in her then rejected her; this is why I avoid dating while at work.

You mentioned that giving someone(s) the creeps as possibly being the real reason for being moved. While such is possible in my case, I have observed others being moved out of smalls to outbound or trucks unloading due to a misloads (even a few). This group moved comprise of a variety group of people of all ages and sexes.

Red Dawn

I have no way of knowing if you are speaking of me or someone else. I will go ahead and express a few rules of thumb I always follow regarding workplace relations:

1. Don't date women coworkers. No love = no pay is an old saying. I do date via other venues such as church, get togethers, and other meet up occasions.

2. Usually, I don't hang out with male coworkers during off duty times.

3. When work is done, leave work behind. I've never attended work place get togethers such as holiday parties, softball turnaments, etc...

4. When participating in concerted activities, don't reveal names, work locations or mention names of former or other employers. Browncafe is a good example.

On a personal note, I tend to be quite friendly and outgoing. Yes, I tend make the wrong impression due to my friendly nature. Being friendly does not construe an indication of personal interest of friendship and favors. This is a comman problem that transcend both sexes. Men who see women who smile all the time tend to think she is hitting on him to some degree. Women will often see men in the same light. I've had problems of women who thought I was interested in her then rejected her; this is why I avoid dating while at work.

You mentioned that giving someone(s) the creeps as possibly being the real reason for being moved. While such is possible in my case, I have observed others being moved out of smalls to outbound or trucks unloading due to a misloads (even a few). This group moved comprise of a variety group of people of all ages and sexes.

I have yet to say your name or work location. It was your posting of sat. staffing and comments about your coworkers. I'm sure you thought you were being vague, but we all know emediatly who you were and where you work. Should have stuck to your ideas of improvement of UPS. And I'm not saying you asked anyone out. If you leave work at work you wouldn't have posted your comments at home. May want to watch what you say and post. Lets chop this up to a life lesson and leave it at that.

herbigharo32

At the end of the day, I really don't care if someone likes me or not. What others think in small sorts and how it filters down the grapevine does not really matter much. This post actually reminds me how somethings can actually be a blessing in disguise. Being moved out of small sorts is not so bad after all. I'm more than happy to work outbound and truck docks. You ladies upstairs can find someone else to creep you out now. I'm sure there will always be a little purple monster with pink freckles in the bins ready to jump out at ya!! Just be sure to have some deodorant so the little purple man can freshen up some - Not that it really matters! ~ChUcKlEs~ LOL!!! That's all I have to say :peaceful:

PS>> My new avatar is me at Halloween!! It would be really cool if we could bring our customs to work at Halloween. Lots of nooks and crannies to turn that hub into one heck of a spook house !!

Last edited:

raceanoncr

PS>> My new avatar is me at Halloween!! It would be really cool if we could bring our customs to work at Halloween. Lots of nooks and crannies to turn that hub into one heck of a spook house !!

Yikes!! Didn't know my ex-wife had her pic made into an avatar!!! Now THAT'S creepy!!

herbigharo32

Check out Taffy the clown!! I would love for this dude to show up in the aircans, boxlines, behind boxes, etc...
100_1706.jpg
100_1704.jpg
PA310299.jpg