100 degrees and Women told not able to wear Tank Tops

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have seen a FedEx Home Delivery girl wear ONLY a sports bra on her route in the summer. The type that pro volleyball players wear sometimes. It was green like the green on their trucks so at least she matched. Just looked highly unprofessional but I think the general public has come to expect that from FedEx drivers nowadays. Particularly from the RPS side. A tank top worn inside shouldn't be a problem. I bet it was another female that complained about it.

A few years ago I saw a FedEx home guy out in the country with no shirt on and a cig dangling from his mouth...come on...really??

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I think just the sports bra would technically fly. It is sports/fitness apparel and all body parts are covered up. By the way there is a preload sup in my center who ONLY wears sports bras this time of year. She wears a strapless bra under it. I say dress for comfort when you are doing a physical job in a non-climate controlled work area with extreme temps.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Trust me when I say there is NO Cleavage. These are not little tanks with Spaghetti straps. And actually we have one of the Best belts in the plant. Less mis-loads then any other belt. So because we are not ugly that means the men can't work? The only thing you can see is our Shoulders and arms. AGAIN No Cleavage. The tanks are high. To the woman who said she wears a t-shirt with the arms cut off, You can most likely see inside your shirt better then our Tanks.
So if I go in tomorrow wearing a Form fitting Shirt (like the men do, cuz sweaty loose shirts are horrible to wear) what is stopping them from saying anything again...

I will wear what is comfortable to me. It is super hot. and i'm not dressing like an Omish woman cuz guys can't do there stupid job... we have some pretty good looking guys that wear tanks. Should they stop too becuz we look a bit at them and maybe slow down?
I guess basiclly my Question was, Can they fire us for wearing them?

They can fire you for anything they want. But it will not be upheld, you will get your job back. This is why you need to file now and start a paper trail. Anything after that is retaliation. Next time they say something to you about it, tell them to talk to your steward and file for harassment too.

laffter

Aside from all the comments, I think that your supervisor thinks that his workers are not getting as much work done because you may be causing a distraction. Kind of like a dress code at High School. I know you are all grown up, but some of his workers may not be and his eyes may be fixed on the eyes that are fixed on you two. Your supervisor is only concerned about his numbers.

Working next to or nearby a female that I found attractive would have a completely opposite effect on me- and probably others as well.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
It seems different here in my building then in yours. I've choose to have a wife beater with me some days, when it got really hot. I would rip it off during a shift, inside the car and away from eyes, and throw it on. Not even a few seconds later I had a soup telling me I couldnt wear it. On and off I tried this during the years, always the same outcome, you cant wear that.

Now, fast forward, the black girl next to me wears them often, never even spoken to. I bet you bottom dollar I wear one and get the talk over about, even while she wore one.

I wear a sleeveless under armour shirt. Its lite, breathable and wicks sweat. It washes up nice and lastes for about a year in usage, so buy two and switch out, day by day. I've been wearing them for years now, not even a word.

It has to be about the coverage of the arm and such. A tank top leaves a lot open, skin that is. In this work place, a little contact can do a lot of damage. They might complain about a tank top because it is unsafe. So saying your trying to be safe in the heat, might turn right back around with you and her being unsafe. You can be walked out for ignorance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. ...It is super hot. and i'm not dressing like an Omish woman cuz guys can't do there stupid job... we have some pretty good looking guys that wear tanks. Should they stop too becuz we look a bit at them and maybe slow down?
I guess basiclly my Question was, Can they fire us for wearing them?

1. No

2. Your supervisor didnt instruct you not to wear them, he only asked. That is probably because he knew he couldnt legitmately single you and your female co-worker out for unfair treatment by allowing males to keep wearing tank tops if you cant.

3. If the company wants to establish a dress code for inside workers that prohibits tank tops thats fine, but the rule would have to apply to both genders.

4. Sports bras are outer wear, not underwear, it is quite common to see women jogging in them and that is what female beach volleyball and track and field athletes wear during competition. To say that your choice of shirt is inappropriate for no other reason than revealing a sports bra strap is ridiculous.

5. If the guys you work with are distracted by your appearance that is their problem not yours. You shouldnt have to cover yourself up uneccesarily just because your coworkers are incapable of concentrating on their work rather than ogling at you. UPS hires adults, so it should expect them to act like adults and do their jobs while they are on the clock. This isnt junior high school.

My advice to you is to just keep on wearing what is comfortable, and if he bugs you about it again just mention that you feel his statements are bordering on sexual harassment. He will shut up and go away real quick.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
They might complain about a tank top because it is unsafe. So saying your trying to be safe in the heat, might turn right back around with you and her being unsafe. You can be walked out for ignorance.
Let them complain all they want. Just not to you, or it's article 37. Take note of other females and males wearing this attire and include it in your grievance.

if he bugs you about it again just mention that you feel his statements are bordering on sexual harassment. He will shut up and go away real quick.

OP if your sup bugs you onceDO NOT mention sexual harassment. Immediately file article 37 and notify HR about the sexual harassment with your steward.

Nothing is stopped unless it's documented, otherwise it's your word against theirs.

Should you be scared to file against your sup, don't be. Anything they try to do will be retaliation.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
If she was white, would you state white girl? Or, are you implying that because she is black she is not asked to change her shirt.

Just curious.

I would've stated that she was white, if so. I believe our work place is sexist in the highest degree. They seem to really hate white males, on the other hand, seem to favor females, minorities and all the above.

Its all about the equal opportunity act. If UPS, you or other work place hires a minority. Which includes the following women, of-race, disability, age, foreigners and many others. Pretty much every one expect white males under the age of 35, then they get a tax break. You can see why white males at my age are hated amongst the work force.

So yes twice. Yes I wouldve said she / he was of age or sex or color of skin and other. And yes they just might be more harsh on me because I am of a white color and not of age they like.

kingOFchester

I would've stated that she was white, if so. I believe our work place is sexist in the highest degree. They seem to really hate white males, on the other hand, seem to favor females, minorities and all the above.

Its all about the equal opportunity act. If UPS, you or other work place hires a minority. Which includes the following women, of-race, disability, age, foreigners and many others. Pretty much every one expect white males under the age of 35, then they get a tax break. You can see why white males at my age are hated amongst the work force.

So yes twice. Yes I wouldve said she / he was of age or sex or color of skin and other. And yes they just might be more harsh on me because I am of a white color and not of age they like.

Fair enough. It just took me by surprised and wasn't sure the way I should have interpreted that part of the story.

Racism and sexism is, and I fear, will always be here. It's the world we all create. I am all for equal opportunity, as long as both parties are equal and treated as such.

pensfan

A couple of years ago a guy on our preload was wearing sleeveless t-shirts. He was told that he had to wear sleeves. I feel you on the heat though. We are in the south and have the heat and high humidity. I have started wearing the dri-fit type t-shirts. They really seem to help. Picked up a couple new Reebok ones at Sam's this weekend for $7.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Let them complain all they want. Just not to you, or it's article 37. Take note of other females and males wearing this attire and include it in your grievance.

Oh I wouldve. I would also include discrimination in the grievance. Why cant a white guy wear what a black girl is wearing? And include, why arnt we equal in the work place? To OCHA as well, big fine, I'd say so my self.

Overall, I just like the show here, its why I hardly ever call out. Always some crap to watch or hear going on. I'd rather stay in the corner, rather in the spotlight. In fact, I've never filed a grievance ever. Rather watch their world burn around them, love it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Fair enough. It just took me by surprised and wasn't sure the way I should have interpreted that part of the story.

Racism and sexism is, and I fear, will always be here. It's the world we all create. I am all for equal opportunity, as long as both parties are equal and treated as such.

Oh I hear you. I am the least bias person you will ever meet.

Go to Victoria's Secret and get he sexiest bra and pantie combo you can find. then go to work wearing them on the outside of your tshirt and shorts. Ask the sup if they're not too distracting.

balland chain

I would wear the tank top tomorrow.. If the Sup says a thing, get a shop stewart, and then have the sup explain to you and your rep the problem. When he claims females can not wear them, and men can. say OK.. You then have to make a decision. 1) wear something else and keep working, and while working go to your local EEOC office with names dates and witness names as well and file a discrimination charge 2) keep wearing the tank top, and then you may get fired, file a grievance, and then go to the EEOC and file a charge of discrimination, again take all documentation, names dates etc. It would be best if you and your friend did it together to strengthen your case.. This girl here has been at UPS for 26 years and has seen how they discriminate against women. Stand your ground, stand tall and dont take that crap.. If men can wear tank tops, you should be able to as well. If the guys at the hub have a problem with you wearing one, they need not look at you. If they can not control themselves by seeing a women in a tank top, they need to get some help as they may be threat to society. Are you in G'vill SC ? I grew up there.. Be strong Girl !!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Seriously guys....

The lady is basically getting harassed at work, so she comes here looking for advice and gets more of the same thing?

She and her co-worker are being singled out for unfair treatment simply because they are female. Its wrong.