100 years sales

R

Red October

Hey Salesguy!

You'll love this one. There is a die-hard UPS acct on my route that I've serviced for over twelve years. Never saw any competitors freight more than one or two cartons. This morning while I was unloading on the dock the receiver was unusually quiet. Now I know why......

Sitting at the other end of the warehouse was pallets upon pallets totalling 500 cartons. Half had FEDEX ground labels, the other half FEDEX air labels.

This made me sick! I know price could'nt possibly be the main factor. How could we let these kind of accounts just jump ship? I thought about mentioning this to an AE but whats the point? Why did'nt we even have a chance to bid on this bulk??

So much for loyalty...

satellitedriver

"if a group of people work as a team, great things are possible"

If all our people would hand in salesleads we would all benefit from that and help our jobs to get better.

If we sell more we can spend more and we won't get more stops but a smaller delivery area.

Yes its possible! Also you can help your company to grow.
How? By handing in that saleslead today!:thumbup1:
Change all the we's to me in your sentence. Then everyone would understand that you must increase sales by 20% this year to keep your position. Hope you can meet their expectations. The same way I have to meet the new time study that changed a 10 hour day into less than a 8.
How would my job get better?

Griff

What happens if sales stop selling?
What happens if you have a lazy sales rep or a lazy driver?

You're talking mostly to ft drivers on this board, spare us the BS, you can't snow a snowman. The whole entire sales lead program is flawed from the ground up and is essentially designed to screw the driver. Lets be honest, you probably burst out laughing whenever you close a deal off a drivers sales lead.

It's groundhog day for those of us on the frontline for UPS. Our trucks will be filled to the ceiling tomorrow morning, all the salesleads in the world will not change that. You guys are just flat out lazy and want your job done for you like everyone else who sits at a desk at UPS. The sales team is onpar with seasonal driver helpers, useless sacks of **** unless you point them in the right direction.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Take a customer out to lunch once in a while. This is the tightest company when it comes to giveaways. I have a stop that ships 250 pkgs a day and they have no idea who their UPS Rep is. Meanwhile Fedex takes them out to lunch. Maybe one of our bloated managers should stop in and say thanks for the business. Some day when they switch to the competition the brass will say "we didn't see that coming" and I'll have to go kiss butt.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
Take a customer out to lunch once in a while. This is the tightest company when it comes to giveaways. I have a stop that ships 250 pkgs a day and they have no idea who their UPS Rep is. Meanwhile Fedex takes them out to lunch. Maybe one of our bloated managers should stop in and say thanks for the business. Some day when they switch to the competition the brass will say "we didn't see that coming" and I'll have to go kiss butt.

:thumbup1: Agreed!!! I've heard that from a shipping managers at various businesses. Their UPS rep never does anything for them and the FedEx reps are taking them out to lunch all the time.

DS

Fenderbender
What happens if you have a lazy sales rep or a lazy driver? . It all starts with you and me.

I agree with every other ft driver that turning in sales leads is paramount to seeing even less of my family than I do now.
I honestly dont believe there is such a thing as a lazy ups driver.
A few may cut corners but for the most part we are worked to the
max every day.Maybe the reps should ride with us more often .
Do I ever ask YOU to do a few deliveries for me?
If you cant gain any ground selling ups,try KIA, I hear they are
the fastest growing car company in the world.

S

Someone

I don't get it. Customers are supposed to be using Fedex because someone is buying them lunches? It must only work on customers because it doesn't sound like many drivers on this board would change anything if their manager bought them a lunch. Maybe we should trade sales leads for lunches?

satellitedriver

A driver I knew went into management. After being an "on road sup." he was promoted to Sales Rep. in the district. I have never seen a man age so quick in so little time. 1200 active accounts to manage and was told he had to increase sales by 20% the next year. He no longer holds that position. He now is just a burned out man trying to hold on till he can retire. I believe in being efficient, but this man didn't have time to take a lunch much less take a customer to one.
Sales is far more personal than product.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What happens if........
you're surfing the internet and Browncafe on company time when you should be out chasing/turning up sales leads?
Too funny.
I admit it, I did it. I saw an opportunity in an inopportune area, and I got the accounts. I didnt want more work either, but I had a brain fart. I saw my mgmt was trying to bring down the dispatch etc, so I thought what the heck Ill try too. So far so good. "I ALWAYS make sure its a semi pick up acct." Get my money on my card quickly.
But salesguy, I ? how do I track sales leads for UPS FREIGHT? I seem to be getting a big bone on it. I have no idea what inbound is coming in, and I know it should be more than .30 cents in a month, explain how we know if we are getting credit, and asking the salesguy at my building is not an option. Havent seen her in months.

sendagain

The sales reps usually don't even talk to the drivers in the center. I could have pointed out a number of accounts that FedEx was getting volume from, but who ever asked me? If you are going to compete with the guys in blue, at least take notice of what they are doing right. They offer earlier deliveries and later pickups. Maybe find a way to compete with that. Get enough drivers on the road so they can raise a smile when they walk into a business, instead of running around with so much pressure they're popping Tums all day.

traveler

Where next? Venice
A driver I knew went into management. After being an "on road sup." he was promoted to Sales Rep. in the district. I have never seen a man age so quick in so little time. 1200 active accounts to manage and was told he had to increase sales by 20% the next year. He no longer holds that position. He now is just a burned out man trying to hold on till he can retire. I believe in being efficient, but this man didn't have time to take a lunch much less take a customer to one.
Sales is far more personal than product.

You said it all in that one example. Apparently nothing has changed in the last 20 years. Unfortunately, the thinking is that the drivers are the only ones that produce revenue and everyone else comes in a distant second. Most drivers I knew in my 25 years are good folks doing a good job. Most of the staff people, Sales Reps, Accountants, etc. (from the same group of folks) are looked on as the red headed step child. Try as they may, they are neither given support to do their job nor the tools to work with. Those tools include adequate time for the job expected of them.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The sales reps usually don't even talk to the drivers in the center. I could have pointed out a number of accounts that FedEx was getting volume from, but who ever asked me? If you are going to compete with the guys in blue, at least take notice of what they are doing right. They offer earlier deliveries and later pickups. Maybe find a way to compete with that. Get enough drivers on the road so they can raise a smile when they walk into a business, instead of running around with so much pressure they're popping Tums all day.
Funny you should say that. Although Rolaids and only in the peppermint flavor seem to work. I used to buy a single pack, now I buy the box. But you also get lots of calcium at the same time.

tieguy

Banned
:thumbup1: Agreed!!! I've heard that from a shipping managers at various businesses. Their UPS rep never does anything for them and the FedEx reps are taking them out to lunch all the time.

Agreed. The shipping managers I speak to who represent some of the largest shippers in the country tell me fdx does a great job of begging for packages but a ****ty job of servicing the packages they beg for.

A

anon

Drivers and sales are not the competition.
We need each other to help our small and big customers.
What happens if our drivers stop delivering?
What happens if sales stop selling? What happens if you have a lazy sales rep or a lazy driver? Its all the same....We all just have to communicate with each other two ways to create a bigger platform for understanding. If you look further you will see there is a lot of commen ground between departments and if sales and drivers are in sync, the customer will notice the benefit. It all starts with you and me.

Just a dumb question, but when was last time sales dept helped drivers deliver pkgs???
Y'all want help doing your job of getting leads, but where is the 2 way street of helping drivers..... just asking

local804

Just a dumb question, but when was last time sales dept helped drivers deliver pkgs???
Y'all want help doing your job of getting leads, but where is the 2 way street of helping drivers..... just asking

Here in NY it would be a contract violation if they started to handle packages and we dont want them to. If they started helping out, pretty soon UPS mgmt would start hiring more reps and less drivers and you see where that will go. Give big brown an inch and they take 10 miles. Salesman, you do your job and we will do ours. We have no problem with helping out with sales leads but most drivers just want to get home and spend time with their families.
We work to live, not live to work!

jlphotog

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

THE EGG!!!

Dinosaurs layed eggs long before there were chickens.:w00t:

A couple of months ago I had a regular customer that was completely pissed off with UPS. She was still nice to me, but hated UPS because of something that was said to her by someone at the call center. She told me that she wants the problem fixed and does not want a sales rep to come by and take her out to lunch. She said that will not fix the problem. She never did get satisfaction and has not shipped anything through UPS since then. I deliver to them almost every day but I do not pick up from them anymore.

No one except me even lifted a finger to help her.

Jimmy_The_Tech

I used to be bloated myself - I stopped eating bacon. Maybe we should take the holiday turkeys and offer them to large shippers. But how do you ask them if they need kosher or reular without offending them? One turkey for every new hundredweight account and 2 turkeys for every new international package.

HazMatMan

"if a group of people work as a team, great things are possible"

If all our people would hand in salesleads we would all benefit from that and help our jobs to get better.

If we sell more we can spend more and we won't get more stops but a smaller delivery area.

Yes its possible! Also you can help your company to grow.
How? By handing in that saleslead today!:thumbup1:
How would you benefit from a sales lead?? Isn't that customer services job?? Just my opinion, I'm entitled to it... As for the teamwork part, Everybody in my building is only worried about "their" area or "their" packages, sorry but 18 years of that crap has rubbed off on me.. UPS has created THIS monster....

sendagain

Funny you should say that. Although Rolaids and only in the peppermint flavor seem to work. I used to buy a single pack, now I buy the box. But you also get lots of calcium at the same time.

Tooner....get your doctor to put you on Protonix for awhile: those over the counter products are not really solving the problem. Even though I retired, I had to take Pepcid almost every day for heartburn, and that started to be ineffective. My doc put me on Protonix for a couple months, I lost 30 pounds, and now the heartburn is gone.