100k Club

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
not always. I work one vacation every year. Usually to buy parts for a truck I'm restoring. I could buy these parts without working vacation but the wife is much more understanding if I work vacation.
On top of that if you're not doing anything and you're like me (always itching to do something/can't lounge around for more than one day without feeling lazy) then selling back some of your vacation might be worth it for you.

Hroller

I feel for you guys that work ten plus years before driving.

As a seasonal driver looking in, I see what a crummy system UPS actually has for employees. While it is great for those that only want to work p/t...... the way many have to work their way up the ladder and pay dues in order to make friend/t is not for everyone. Then when you do get to friend/t, you work 10 hour days.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
not always. I work one vacation every year. Usually to buy parts for a truck I'm restoring. I could buy these parts without working vacation but the wife is much more understanding if I work vacation.

It doesn't matter. What I've found on this forum, is that if you post anything about yourself, or what you do, people line up and start taking potshots at you. Why? Many reasons. It's easy to point at others and tell them how they are effing up. Why worry about your own problems when you can try to shame others? Also, the internet makes it much, much easier to scream and belittle others when you are doing it anonymous. It's amazing how almost no one says this stuff to your face.

And honestly, I'll bitch about drivers who skip their lunches, burn up routes, go home when the dispatches get tough instead of sticking it out, or say stupid stuff like that they sign for customer's packages. But I would, and do tell that to a driver's face. It doesn't do any good to complain to yourself. How will anything get any better? I always tell a driver why what he is doing is wrong instead of belittling the person. You have a better chance of getting results that way. Unfortunately, I would say, is that probably 75% of these drivers never listen. They live on an island, where only their problems matter, and the idea of solidarity might as well be a Russian word.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It doesn't matter. What I've found on this forum, is that if you post anything about yourself, or what you do, people line up and start taking potshots at you. Why? Many reasons. It's easy to point at others and tell them how they are effing up. Why worry about your own problems when you can try to shame others? Also, the internet makes it much, much easier to scream and belittle others when you are doing it anonymous. It's amazing how almost no one says this stuff to your face.

And honestly, I'll bitch about drivers who skip their lunches, burn up routes, go home when the dispatches get tough instead of sticking it out, or say stupid stuff like that they sign for customer's packages. But I would, and do tell that to a driver's face. It doesn't do any good to complain to yourself. How will anything get any better? I always tell a driver why what he is doing is wrong instead of belittling the person. You have a better chance of getting results that way. Unfortunately, I would say, is that probably 75% of these drivers never listen. They live on an island, where only their problems matter, and the idea of solidarity might as well be a Russian word.
You may want to be careful mentioning solidarity around here.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Talk about solidarity and then give away union negotiated vacation time. If everyone took all of their vacation more part timers could move into driving slots.

What'dyabringmetoday???

You may want to be careful mentioning solidarity around here.

Talk about solidarity and then give away union negotiated vacation time. If everyone took all of their vacation more part timers could move into driving slots.
There are many things that can be done to make things better for part-timers. Mostly, following the contract by everyone. Part-timers can be found guilty of causing their own problems by violating contractual language. (Please note that I did not insert the word "all").

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will admit that I have worked vacation weeks in the past----the extra money was nice---our district no longer allows us to work vacation weeks. When I chose to work I made sure that no junior employees were displaced as a result of me working.

upschuck

I will admit that I have worked vacation weeks in the past----the extra money was nice---our district no longer allows us to work vacation weeks. When I chose to work I made sure that no junior employees were displaced as a result of me working.

I guess you can work through 3 now. The option week and now the two weeks that can be broken up into days. Opt to break them up and never take them, they will pay them off at the end of year.

Don't suggest that, but you could.

upschuck

Not here.

None of that? On our Option week we can select pay only and not take the week(it is our option) and do they make you take your unused vacation days before years end? I'd imagine several people have got days left, do they lose them? I had one day left and was paid on first dec paycheck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'd imagine several people have got days left, do they lose them? I had one day left and was paid on first dec paycheck.

I'm still waiting for one Option Day and three of my Option Week days to be paid off. I put 50% of that into my 401K.

Future

Victory Ride
Just made a 200 dollar bet with another driver I'll hit 100k in 2013. I'll hit 95 this year easily if peak this year is close to last years peak volume. Kinda curious how many of you have hit the "milestone" 6 figures yet, and if so, what are few tips that you could give? I'm not intrested in anything that envolves bonus or compromising integrity by consorting with management. I already get late pickups that no one else wants and my neighbor routes know I'll help them take their stops off if they're heavy, anything else you could suggest?
Nice life ****

Last edited by a moderator: