10hr days 4 days a week?

FreightKicker

FreightKicker
Any one know of or has a terminal doing 10hr days, 4 days a week with no overtime after 8hrs. That is what my terminal is doing. The overtime I get is after 10hrs! Thought the contract states 5 days a week , overtime after 8.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Any one know of or has a terminal doing 10hr days, 4 days a week with no overtime after 8hrs. That is what my terminal is doing. The overtime I get is after 10hrs! Thought the contract states 5 days a week , overtime after 8.

In small package UPS, when you bid on a 4-10 run it works exactly as you stated.

screamin chicken

I use to pre-load and drive all day then by Fridays I had run out of hours and they would let me go home, it was nice until they caught on and then they would let me go home on a monday or tuesday and I had to work fridays, that is when I stopped working preload and just went on my route.

no terminals are currently doing it, it is a violation of the contract,

Article 18
Workday and Workweek
Section 3. Overtime
All hours worked in excess of eight (8) hours in any one (1) day or forty (40) hours in any one (1) week shall be paid at the rate of time and one-half (1 1/2) the regular hourly rate, but not both. Overtime shall not be pyramided. Pay for hours not worked shall not count toward the forty (40) hour threshold.
All hours worked on Sundays or holidays or on the seventh (7th) consecutive day or in excess of ten (10) hours per day shall not apply against the guarantee but must be paid in addition to the guarantee.

The national arbitration hearing is the end of this month and this issue has been grieved and deadlocked the arbitrator will deceide on it.

The company want 4x10's with no overtime until 10 hours on duty.

I don't understand how it made it as far as it did it is clearly a contract violation. OTY after 8.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you even read the material that you added to your post?

It clearly states that OT does not start until you have either worked 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week so, if you work 4-10s, you would not get overtime until your 4th day.

For example, you work 10 1/2, 11, and 10 1/2 hours for the first 3 days (32 hours) which means you will start to accrue OT after working 8 hours on your 4th day.

Seems pretty simple to me.

hdkappler

i think they should do this with package car drivers to.even if someone would have to cover the 5th day.if i was still driving i would of loved to work 4 day weeks.i would of even liked to load my own truck.then i would of known were everything is.

It clearly states that OT does not start until you have either worked 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week so, if you work 4-10s, you would not get overtime until your 4th day.

For example, you work 10 1/2, 11, and 10 1/2 hours for the first 3 days (32 hours) which means you will start to accrue OT after working 8 hours on your 4th day.

you obviously don't work for ups freight? Contract cleary states ot is any hours worked over 8 in one day the 40 part comes into play when you work 6 days in a week and only work 7-8 hours a day. 7 hours a day for 6 days = 2 hours of ot.
In your scenario 10 1/2, 11 and 10 1/2 means you will have 32 regular hours and 8 ot hours regardless of how many hours you work the next 2 days even if he calls in sick or takes unpaid time off he would still get 32 regular hours and 8 ot hours this is and has always been the way it works.

The "material" I added is cut and paste from our contract even the labor managers understand how the ot works there is no misunderstanding there it has always worked like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

8 hours per day or 40 hours per week

I am pkg car but that doesn't matter. I am simply reading what you posted and it clearly supports the 4 10s scenario w/no OT until 40 hours.

John19841

EITHER 8 hours in a day OR 40 hours in a week; Not 8 hours in a day AND 40 hours in a week.

Once you pass 8 hours in any given day, you're on overtime in package.

Freight is different, overtime is after 10.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just saying you do not have to work 40 hours in a week to get overtime

For the purposes of this thread you do. The OP was talking about 4 10s and was upset that he wasn't get OT after 8 but instead had to work 40 before getting OT.

I am fully aware that I get OT after 8 hours. That is not the point of this thread.

John19841

For the purposes of this thread you do. The OP was talking about 4 10s and was upset that he wasn't get OT after 8 but instead had to work 40 before getting OT.

I am fully aware that I get OT after 8 hours. That is not the point of this thread.

Right, the point of this thread is for 4 10's. The point I'm making, is that if he works over 10 in one day, he gets overtime for that time after 10 hours, regardless if he works 40 hours a week. If he worked 10 1/2 hours Monday and only 9 hours the other 3 days, he would still get 1/2 hour of overtime.

If you work 10 hours in a day, 2 of those hours are counted as ot, it does not matter how many hours in a week you work if you only work 1 day you will get 8 regular hours and 2 ot hours, Our contract also says the standard guaranteed work week is 5 days.

If your terminal puts you on 4 x 10's and you don't get ot until after 10, file a grievance don't let management tell you how there gonna interpret the contract. I do not know of a single terminal that does not get ot after 8.

3369529799_13da5461ca_o.jpg

3369528655_b615277e37_o.jpg

I checked the parcel contract, suppliments and riders and most of them say overtime will not start until you have worked 40 hours others say if your bid is a 4 x 10 ot does not start until after 10 hours on duty.

Our contract is completely different.

Last edited:

City Driver

the problem with that is that what if your 4th day you had to take an unpaid day off, your pay check will be for 32 hours of straight time instead of 24 hours of straight time and 8 hours of OT

S

speeddemon

I worked 3 days last week and had 8 hours overtime I got paid for.