11 years in, I'm out now and retirement benefits.

govols019

You smell that?
In the middle of late last night I was sittin' on a curb
I didn't know what about but I was feeling quite disturbed
A street sweeper came whistlin' by
He was bouncin' every step
It seemed strange how good he felt
So I asked him while he swept

He said "It's my job to be cleaning up this mess
And that's enough reason to go for me
It's my job to be better than the rest
And that makes the day for me" - Jimmy Buffett

New Englander

You are incorrect..Part time pensions are a company held pension. Full time pensions are union held you can't combine the two. He will only get the full time pension, he didn't do the 5 years it takes to vest in the part time pension. Check your contract next time!!!!

Hmm....my part-time credits here show are time towards my overall credits.
I get that paper from the Union yearly and it does include them.
I don't think all part-timers fall under UPS's pension.

J

JonFrum

Hmm....my part-time credits here show are time towards my overall credits.
I get that paper from the Union yearly and it does include them.
I don't think all part-timers fall under UPS's pension.

New Englander,

Like everything involving the Teamsters, the rules vary from region to region. In New England our part-timers and full-timers are both in the same fund and play under the same rules. (Although a few years ago the Fund also created an additional retirement option just for part-timers who don't work longer hours, at half the full-time benefit level.)

The Fund usually doesn't care if you are part-time or full-time. The more hourly contributions you have, (up to 1800 hours per year,) the more months of Pension Credit you earn, (up to 12 months credit per year.) A typical part-timer might get only six months Pension Credit per year, while a full-timer usually gets 12 months per year. In the old days, I use to get 10, 11, or 12 months per year as a part-timer. But that was back when ovetime was standard, concessions hadn't been negotiated, and the Contract was more respected and enforced.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Part time credits count. I was hired off the street to drive so this does not involve me but most of co-workers were promoted from the inside and every one has told me that their years on the inside count toward their retirement. Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the monthly pension benefit amount based upon the last 5 years of employement?