14-hour days and no bathroom breaks: Amazon's overworked delivery drivers

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
14-hour days and no bathroom breaks: Amazon's overworked delivery drivers - The Guardian

Drivers report being underpaid and having to urinate in bottles in their vehicles to keep up with delivery rates

James Meyers worked as a driver for several Amazon delivery service providers in Austin, Texas, for about one year until he quit in October 2020 citing the immense workloads and poor working conditions.

Fourteen-hour shifts were common because delivery service providers wouldn’t allow drivers to return any packages from their routes and the pressure to meet delivery rates meant Meyers used a plastic bottle to go to the bathroom on a daily basis.

“I saw no effort on Amazon’s part to push delivery service providers to allow their drivers to use the restroom on a normal human basis, leading many, myself included, to urinate inside bottles for fear of slowing down our delivery rates,” Meyers said.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The Amazon drivers I see are 100 percent runner-gunners. Half the time they are stuffing mailboxes.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
why cant/won't the teamsters organize them ?.......at least organize the drivers.... what is the problem ?.....
I think the problem is they do not work for Amazon. They drive for someone else that owns the route.

Karma...

outsourced ?...if the teamsters were in power that would not happen........I am all for unions ....people should have an option out so its not seen as communism....rtw states are a step in the right direction thereby pressuring unions to provide reasons to be in the union. ...competition between the company and the union for the individual will in turn benefit the individual...

Last edited: