15 - 22.3 jobs eliminated at Boeing Field Hub!!!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The two problems I have -

(1) where does it begin and end? Where and when can UPS eliminate jobs and get away with it? Does this trickle down nationally if in this case it's ok? IS UPS required to inform the union WHERE these 15 jobs are going to be going - as the # of jobs must be maintained - and doesn't anyone in their local give a rats ass where they're going?

(2) is there something in their supplement that the casual readers like myself aren't seeing with regards to these jobs?

brett636

Whats happening in BFI is my concern too. They can technically cut jobs, claim they are moving them, but never actually move them cutting down on the total number of combo jobs hoping nobody is the wiser. I like my job, and I respect this company to a point, but I do understand the company at the upper echelons of management are bitter about combo workers. Especially with how they can now employ new part-timers with no benefits for a year. I hope you win your battle out there, because the rest of us that are combo workers could be facing the same scenario at some point in the future.

I'm a combo air driver, and in my facility they have already announced they are moving stops from certain areas to other centers who employ part-time air drivers. One of the affected drivers mentioned that they are taking work from full-timers to give to part-timers and our supervisor chuckled nervously and said we have plenty of work. The problem I have is them cutting out stops from other routes to help the affected combo worker, and finally start consolidating routes causing us to have less overall combo air routes as more of our work is being done by part-timers. I fear as combo workers this contract will prove to be a long 5 year battle for us all.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Whats happening in BFI is my concern too. They can technically cut jobs, claim they are moving them, but never actually move them cutting down on the total number of combo jobs hoping nobody is the wiser. I like my job, and I respect this company to a point, but I do understand the company at the upper echelons of management are bitter about combo workers. Especially with how they can now employ new part-timers with no benefits for a year. I hope you win your battle out there, because the rest of us that are combo workers could be facing the same scenario at some point in the future.

I'm a combo air driver, and in my facility they have already announced they are moving stops from certain areas to other centers who employ part-time air drivers. One of the affected drivers mentioned that they are taking work from full-timers to give to part-timers and our supervisor chuckled nervously and said we have plenty of work. The problem I have is them cutting out stops from other routes to help the affected combo worker, and finally start consolidating routes causing us to have less overall combo air routes as more of our work is being done by part-timers. I fear as combo workers this contract will prove to be a long 5 year battle for us all.

I agree with this.

Another thing I wanted to say was, perhaps there was an agreement between their local and UPS about NOT maintaining those 15 22.3 jobs at the airport. Within 60 days of ratification a list of what jobs being maintained had to be given. Maybe those jobs were agreed mutually between the local and UPS that because of volume they weren't?

outamyway

I fear as combo workers this contract will prove to be a long 5 year battle for us all.

And what happens after this contract is almost over. To me it looks like UPS uppers will be going after ALL 22.3 jobs. You were lucky the contract protects(supposed to anyways) the 22.3 jobs already made.

I'm sure at the last negotiations, flat out eliminating all or most of 22.3 jobs was brought up a few times. In 5 years I'm sure it will be brought up again but you may not be so lucky next time. The fact that this contract was even able to leave the table, says a lot about what we're up against and who represents us.

This place has it's priorities so back asswards. It's gone beyond humorous to just plain sad.

barrycold

One of you may have recognize me from BFI as well that I am one of 15 of them that been cut back to Part Time to Seattle Hub as well. I will be at the Union Hall saturday as well too. Just wanted to say that the company have no right by touching us our Full Time Seniority. Our Seniority is locked. The company failed to tell us 60 days notice of layoffs or cut. Even failed to tell us 45 days of change of operation too as well. I have to be honest with you. I'm not fully prepared to go back to part time like this. I have a family to support. I very much rather stay Full Time BFI. There are other ways on the table that could've work things out. Right now, the way I'm hearing things is that they may never let us back to Full Time, if ever. Secondly, There's rumor that on or around September 20th, 2008, they will shut down BFI Night Sort entirely. 3 years ago, we won the fight to keep night sort open at BFI to allow us to continue to do our jobs and volume rose up in fall. This Fall, the volume will rise up again and will get us to be busy. Right now, we all have to sit tight for a month or two till the judge can make it's decision here. I told the union that to do the right thing, by telling the judge to return our jobs back at BFI and keeping the night sort open. Gas Prices are going down now so the company shouldn't be worrying on anything like this now. It's just normal every summer when volume is low. It'll get bigger this fall to be ready in hand for christmas. What I am saying is that managers and division managers need to leave us alone and let us do our jobs and support our families to each other. This families is how we work together in BFI. I have strong faith in it and I'm hoping other will follow at the Union Meeting saturday and go from there. That is all I have to say for now. By the way, I still never wanted to go back to the hubs as very much rather staying at BFI which my jobs handles much easier and love the hobbies seeing planes land and take offs. Now, it's tough.

Let us know the result of the meeting on Saturday. Isn't there at least 30 22.3 jobs at BFI? You shouldn't lose your full-time seniority over this. I never knew that they tried to shutdown the night sort. I been working at BFI and I never heard anything about it. What are your options? Hopefully they gave back everybody jobs and backpay. Everything is going to take awhile. Hopefully everybody could hang in there. Nobody has answer about anything these days. I think the IE are the one taking away these jobs.

tieguy

Banned
some of the TDU misinformation on this subject:

We don’t know exactly how many Teamsters UPS is cheating out of a full-time combination job.

an admission they don't know.

Reasonable estimates climb into the thousands. Management has created few of the 2,500 full-time jobs it was required to fill in the year ending Aug. 1. Include the jobs that have been allowed to go vacant and the numbers add up fast.

reasonable estimates based on what. You can't count a national number by counting some of the locals in the country.

But there is no reason that stewards have to wonder. Our contract gives our union a powerful tool for enforcing our right to 20,000 full-time combo jobs.

Article 22.3 requires the company to give the International Union a list that details and identifies all 20,000 combo jobs the company will maintain. The contract says that UPS had to turn this list over to the IBT sixty days after the contract was ratified.

That was more than five months ago. But as we go to press, the International Union has never provided this list to local unions, making contract enforcement much more difficult.

Here again another assumption made by TDU. there is contract language and there is original intent behind the language. Since the company was required to add 2500 jobs this year then a reasonable assumption would be that the actual accounting deadline would have to be sixty days after the end of the contractual year. The contractual year ended July 31st.

So if both parties follow the contract then the company has until september 30th to account for all jobs.

meanwhile here is TDU jumping in early before the process has run its course in an effort to spread hate and discontent.

Air Hub

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION

Preamble In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further benefit
from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede
language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda,
unless specifically stated otherwise in this Article.

Air hub ops are under article 40 of the contract. The preamble sum it up --- we can do what ever we want to--- and the rest of the contract does not apply.

I am not sure what the union can do for you here, but I really do understand what a good job you just lost. Can you transfer back to BFI as P/T?? It would save a lot of back pain.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy, I believe the contract was ratified December 19th 2007. correct me if I'm wrong.

It was indeed. the point is that the 20,000 number includes the 2500 due to be added during the contractual year ending july 31st. You can't account for 20,000 until the old contract has run its course. So I think its reasonable to assume the intent was to verify the jobs sixty days after july 31st.

tieguy

Banned
so now we have two stories of jobs being eliminated but no explanations. I wonder if the company screwed up and found they created more then 20,000 jobs.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

'I understand what you were saying now, Tieguy, but my point is since the contract was ratified in Dec '07, and there had to be a count within 60 days of ratification, wouldn't that mean that there would be no new combo jobs beyond 60 days because they would all need to be accounted for? Maybe I'm just confusing myself lol

drewed

Shankman
Are we even sure these jobs were even actually eliminated, yes they arent at BFI anymore but they could have easily moved them somewhere else

I'mTheMan

I apologized for the week delay as been things overwhelmed with work at Seattle Hub, unions, and home. As you know I was cut from full time BFI to part time Seattle hub, well we all of us full timers and part timers went to the union hall last week on saturday. The meeting lasted over 3 to 4 hours I believed. A lots of talks going on. The union is on top of everything of what happened. There's 4 charges, 3 grievances against the UPS for violating the contract. The Union says that Full Timers CANNOT be layoffs or cut back to part time. It CANNOT do that. The company can do something with the part timers like laying off but full timers NEED to stay at the same location like BFI to do the job. However, the company is playing games with us and took part timers to layoffs for 2 weeks till the first 15 of us to cut to part time and sent back to hubs. Then recall part timers and take over our full timers work who got cut. Also added double shifter too as well. Right now as I just heard from one full time worker saying that the management just announced last night that the night sort will remain open, not closed. The Management says will keep 15 full timers and some part timers and double shifters to do the work for night sort. One full timers is laughing at me that I am still part time but my seniority is LOCKED as rest of 30 of us. The Union says that we have the right to be full time as our seniority is locked. Now we asked the union if the night sort will still stay open at BFI, will the 15 cut full timers who switch to part timers have right to go back to BFI?? Union says " YES " so we have the right to go back to full time because night sort is still open. It is not planned to close at all from what I am hearing. Now we need to tell the judge that to let us return to our full time job at BFI by then will have 30 of full timers that will be completely locked by it's seniority. All the company can do is relocate part timers to other shifts or hubs while we as full time to handle the low volume or increased volume that will allow us to complete 4 hours then lunch then do our others 4 hours to get the job done. I have complete faith in it and I have given a CLEAR message to the union that we want our full time job back!!!! Even for me, I want my BFI JOBS BACK TOO!! I have been full time 6 years and supporting my family. I will go union hall on monday and see what's update and what's going on. I want my full time job back the way it was and let us do our job and fire those managements for screwing us too. :) Hope you all understand how I feel about this but it is important for us and our family and our team workers too. :) Right now, I'm still angry at the BFI Management and Division Management for taking away our full time job while other 15 are still full time. Like I said, the BFI night sort is still open for another year now.

barrycold

The union is on top of everything of what happened. There's 4 charges, 3 grievances against the UPS for violating the contract. The Union says that Full Timers CANNOT be layoffs or cut back to part time. It CANNOT do that. The company can do something with the part timers like laying off but full timers NEED to stay at the same location like BFI to do the job. .

Does that mean all 22.3 full timers cannot be layoff?

I'mTheMan

Yes, that is correct. All article 22.3 states that full timers cannot be layoff or cut back to part time. This is what union stated that last week at the Union meeting. Right now all we can do is wait till judge decides in September and hopefully to get us back where we as 15 of us who got cut must be belongs back in that full time jobs for BFI. This is why night sort is currently open and it will stayed open from what I heard today. I cannot believe how the managements likes to play the game that actually thinks can do that without talking to union about it. That's very wrong huh?

I'mTheMan

One more thing that I forgot to mention something to this: All the full timers 22.3 progression has been completed and all of us have the same equal same full time pay rate. I've been full time for 6 years and now got back to part time after 6 years later and currently, you're on the same full time pay rate. I just looked at my paycheck this week and i noticed that it is still currently full time pay rate while working part time. Really, does it make sense or not? Like this, it is not working for me, I still and do need to get back to full time job where I can support my family and bills to pay. I hope union knows everything to get us back on track very soon.

barrycold

How many hours are you getting at the hub part time? In September are they going to bring up the 3 grievance that UPS violated or just the BFI case to the judge? I was layoff my 22.3 job and went part time and I found out that my job is eliminated. I don't know what is going on with my job.