$15 an hour minimum wage.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
$15/hr would be a 107% raise over the current fed min wage. I assume everyone making more than min wage in the country will also demand to get a 107% increase? Because what if you're currently making $16, $17, $20/hr...?? Right now, I'm a 2nd year driver and make $18.45/hr. It took me working my butt off until the age of 35 to make this. Do you realize how pissed me and others would be if a 16 year old at their first job at McD's immediately started at $15? There's millions of college grads that make less than $20/hr. Many of them aren't any more than $15. How would they feel?

There's a million problems that would arise from such a drastic increase but no one wants to think about the consequences.

The minimum wage is not meant to be a family supporting wage. Why is this even debated as such? It's a wage to start people off early in the workforce. Mostly kids. If you are 30 years old making minimum wage, you need to reexamine your life.

A fear wage is what people are willing to be compensated for the labor they do. They don't like min wage, no one is putting a gun to your head. Work harder in life and go further. There should be no federal mandated minimum wage. All it does is set a minimum that employees get to use. If there was no set minimum, you'd likely see higher wages as employers would be competing for better help.

My last point will be that such a drastic increase would would quickly speed up inflation. Everything would have to go up, and it would go up faster than we've seen perhaps ever. Ultimately, that new shiny wage won't be worth much more than today's min wage.
Well said ,My point exactly

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
$15/hr would be a 107% raise over the current fed min wage. I assume everyone making more than min wage in the country will also demand to get a 107% increase? Because what if you're currently making $16, $17, $20/hr...?? Right now, I'm a 2nd year driver and make $18.45/hr. It took me working my butt off until the age of 35 to make this. Do you realize how pissed me and others would be if a 16 year old at their first job at McD's immediately started at $15? There's millions of college grads that make less than $20/hr. Many of them aren't any more than $15. How would they feel?
Rising tides lift all boats.

alwaysoverallowed

• In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How about the fact that places like mcdonalds and walmart hold seminars to teach there employees how to go on public assistance. Now if they payed them more money they would be able to support themselves. Now you say it's a unskilled job but in some areas there is nothing else.

Perhaps UPS should hold these seminars for P/Timers.

JL 0513

Until they get my order right every time, current minimum wage is too much.

Sadly, they get our simple orders wrong most of the time. Now they want their pay doubled? My wife doesn't like lettuce on sandwiches so she makes the simple request every time. at least 50% of the time the sandwich has lettuce. That's the most basic instruction. They can't do it. $15/hr?

JL 0513

Perhaps they would be able to hire more competent employees at a higher wage.

This makes the point of why it would kill the opportunities of new workers trying to gain work experience for the first time. No employer is going to pay a high school kid $15/hr to dip a basket of fries into oil. What you'll have is older people who haven't found work putting McDonald's uniforms on. It leaves young people unemployed with no way to gain work experience and sets older people's skill levels back making it harder to get back into a more advanced job later.

alwaysoverallowed

You're saying that a $15 min wage would help all of us? How so?

Because the money to pay these people comes from the top, then the people in the middle get a raise because of competition for labor. The people at the top don't want inflation because it devalues the money they have. What happens is the inequality between the top and the bottoms shrinks. There's a little bit more then just that to it and there are disadvantages to raising the minimum wage but that's the long/short of it.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Just saw on news today over 100,000 mcdonalds workers wearing $15 minimum wage t shirts were on strike today. Can you imagine what those workers would want if they worked here??!!?? Lol
They should unionize so they can make a little above minimum wage, pay initiation fees and union dues, and work ungodly early hours like the part-timers at UPS.

alwaysoverallowed

This makes the point of why it would kill the opportunities of new workers trying to gain work experience for the first time. No employer is going to pay a high school kid $15/hr to dip a basket of fries into oil. What you'll have is older people who haven't found work putting McDonald's uniforms on. It leaves young people unemployed with no way to gain work experience and sets older people's skill levels back making it harder to get back into a more advanced job later.

People working in the fast food industry do so because they can't find a better job.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/11/low-wage-jobs_n_4421095.html

And here's a fancy info graph that answers some questions raised.
image.jpg

JL 0513

Because the money to pay these people comes from the top, then the people in the middle get a raise because of competition for labor. The people at the top don't want inflation because it devalues the money they have. What happens is the inequality between the top and the bottoms shrinks. There's a little bit more then just that to it and there are disadvantages to raising the minimum wage but that's the long/short of it.

Money comes from the consumer. The CEO can't open his wallet and suddenly pay everyone double than what they paid the day before.

A majority of jobs are in small business. Who's at "the top" in these small businesses? It's usually someone working really hard just to stay in business. You going to tell this Mom and Pop business that they have to pay their lowest entry level worker $15/hr.

This idea of these evil CEO's making millions exploiting their workers is exaggerated. Yes, CEO's of big corporations may make millions, but would you want that level of responsibility? I don't think so. These CEO's are very far and few in between.

browntroll

maybe their asking for $15 but will settle for $10? not sure who in their right mind would ask for $15 an hour minimum wage for
working at a fast food place. i understand is a big company but if theyre not happy then they should find something else. i have friends that
couldnt even get a job at mcdonalds if they applied(convicted felons) but now they do union labor jobs, they dont have highschool diplomas either
but now some are making $36 an hour(electricians/laborers/welders/boiler makers). i know more than a few ppl at my hub that work mutiple jobs and go
to school.

alwaysoverallowed

Money comes from the consumer. The CEO can't open his wallet and suddenly pay everyone double than what they paid the day before.

A majority of jobs are in small business. Who's at "the top" in these small businesses? It's usually someone working really hard just to stay in business. You going to tell this Mom and Pop business that they have to pay their lowest entry level worker $15/hr.

This idea of these evil CEO's making millions exploiting their workers is exaggerated. Yes, CEO's of big corporations may make millions, but would you want that level of responsibility? I don't think so. These CEO's are very far and few in between.

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2014/04/15/buy-myths-hurled-minimum-wage-increase/7746337/

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Yeah but don't force them into those pesky things like job security, NO PAY healthcare, and a pension. Oh the horror if everyone had that.
I thought it was established that these p/t jobs weren't meant to be long term living wages. So no, don't force them into those things. And - Obamacare will pay for their health care.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Maybe we should stop talking about "minimum" wage and start talking about "living" wage. Someone has to flip burgers, someone has to clean toilets, and someone has to empty my trash can. Whether it's entry level/temporary or not, they have bills to pay just like everyone else.

Guess what happens when you pay these people below a living wage. They use public assistance. Guess who pays for that... the taxpayers. We are subsidizing billions in corporate profit.
http://livingwage.mit.edu/