I digress. pt wages

Karma...

in 1974 I was making 6 dollars an hour with minimum wage 2 dollars an hour...thats not considering the fringe benefits.......with the time value of money that 6 bucks would be 37 dollars an hour.....ups was a great company and we earned our money....just work work work...no issues no calling out......the pt team pulled together......over the years the union and company sold the pters down the river in favor of the fters......such was life ......now Sean is doing the right thing and galvanizing the pters....I respect that...great leadership.....as much as I favor r.t.w states the pters up until now have not really been included ninth teamster family and have been treated as second class teamsters.....note I said up to now....its time to make sense of this mess and be fair....I hate to say it but I would never come to ups under the current conditions..

RangerMan06

in 1974 I was making 6 dollars an hour with minimum wage 2 dollars an hour...thats not considering the fringe benefits.......with the time value of money that 6 bucks would be 37 dollars an hour.....ups was a great company and we earned our money....just work work work...no issues no calling out......the pt team pulled together......over the years the union and company sold the pters down the river in favor of the fters......such was life ......now Sean is doing the right thing and galvanizing the pters....I respect that...great leadership.....as much as I favor r.t.w states the pters up until now have not really been included ninth teamster family and have been treated as second class teamsters.....note I said up to now....its time to make sense of this mess and be fair....I hate to say it but I would never come to ups under the current conditions..

Judging by most of your comments, you would be one of the few that refuse to pay union dues and would be fired over your first misload and the union would NOT fight very hard for your job.

Karma...

Judging by most of your comments, you would be one of the few that refuse to pay union dues and would be fired over your first misload and the union would NOT fight very hard for your job.
not at all......at the time my monthly union dues were 1 hours pay per month....initiation was 250 dollars.......I was a red circle with guaranteed 4 hours work.......great job.....I know things change with along the way the young pters got screwed by both the teamsters and ups working in tandem.....it's all different now as many things are....the bitter pill was going public ...

RangerMan06

not at all......at the time my monthly union dues were 1 hours pay per month....initiation was 250 dollars.......I was a red circle with guaranteed 4 hours work.......great job.....I know things change with along the way the young pters got screwed by both the teamsters and ups working in tandem.....it's all different now as many things are....the bitter pill was going public ...

Back in the day I would think most PTs wanted to work their way into a FT position. It's not like that now. Most PTs don't want to be drivers

brownIEman

I started in '91 as a part timer in a twilight. Never joined the union, never spoke to or even met a steward, then after 2 years I moved into a ft technical non bargaining unit role.
In all that time, I made mistakes and made more than a few misloads. Was never threatened with termination. Why? Because I learned from my mistakes, I showed up, on time for work and put forth a good honest effort. In short, I was on balance a valuable employee, not a burden and a drag on the operation.
These days, if a new union employee is having trouble getting it, making tons of misloads, getting more training and still struggling, what advice are you, other senior bargaining unit employees, stewards, BAs going to give that employee, without fail?
"Just slow down, you're paid by the hour"

You might never admit it openly, but you know it's true.

RangerMan06

I started in '91 as a part timer in a twilight. Never joined the union, never spoke to or even met a steward, then after 2 years I moved into a ft technical non bargaining unit role.
In all that time, I made mistakes and made more than a few misloads. Was never threatened with termination. Why? Because I learned from my mistakes, I showed up, on time for work and put forth a good honest effort. In short, I was on balance a valuable employee, not a burden and a drag on the operation.
These days, if a new union employee is having trouble getting it, making tons of misloads, getting more training and still struggling, what advice are you, other senior bargaining unit employees, stewards, BAs going to give that employee, without fail?

Oh I admit that we have slugs here, but they make up a very small minority of the employees. They also know that they will never get a real shot at passing a packet and making it FT.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member

Judging by your username you cried racism

GameCockFan

Depending on the supplement, UPS, has between 30 and 70 days to figure out if they can do the job. It's on them. I started in '88 at $9/hr. You had to be a college student and go for a one on one interview. The new hires went 25 years without any increase in starting pay, UPS is reaping what it sowed. It's not a great job anymore and newer generations don't have the same work ethic. Couple that with long hours, and harassment, and looming automation of driving jobs, I would not recommend this job to anyone.

Karma...

all you folks make solid points......at one time ups was in a great position with great pay ( which was all that mattered to us ) and could expect that we work hard, no complaining, no being late or calling in sick.......packets ?....not when I started !....those old days will never come back.......I guess rightly so....the people I worked with as well as the supervisors/managers were all former military and had seen combat.....if you couldn't hack it they tell you to quit....no dead weight...just pressure ....the management didnt get involved....peer pressure is very effective....lessons to be learned...

UPSER1987

all you folks make solid points......at one time ups was in a great position with great pay ( which was all that mattered to us ) and could expect that we work hard, no complaining, no being late or calling in sick.......packets ?....not when I started !....those old days will never come back.......I guess rightly so....the people I worked with as well as the supervisors/managers were all former military and had seen combat.....if you couldn't hack it they tell you to quit....no dead weight...just pressure ....the management didnt get involved....peer pressure is very effective....lessons to be learned...
Too soft a society and too soft upsers now. These saps wouldn’t be able to work at ups 20, maybe even 10 years ago. Didn’t see the number of fat out of shape ups drivers you regularly see now lol.

moldsporh

in 1974 I was making 6 dollars an hour with minimum wage 2 dollars an hour...thats not considering the fringe benefits.......with the time value of money that 6 bucks would be 37 dollars an hour.....ups was a great company and we earned our money....just work work work...no issues no calling out......the pt team pulled together.

I don't know about 1974, but I do remember many years of preload before PAS, preload "assist" system.

Preload now is much easier than days past, all package cars have uniform load designations, and the package comes with the load sequence on the box...awesome.

Granted, each truck has it's own unique load and has to be adjusted, but In general, it's easier.

$37 per hour, well, FT is higher than that so.....?

Do you think PT would be remotely close to that with all the benefits?

What PT jobs pay that with bennies?

Thebrownblob

Another ignorant know nothing comment from you, the bitter pill happened in 1983 well before going public. Take another hit in the bong my friend.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Granted, each truck has it's own unique load and has to be adjusted, but In general, it's easier.
Loaders, especially the newer ones, should worry more about loading according to the PAL rather than trying to please the driver with a custom load, which makes it more difficult for cover drivers who may not be familiar with the route.