$15 an hour minimum wage.

BrownBrokeDown

I started typing this with multiple snide comments then thought better of it. I have some things for some of you to think about, and a "hypothetical" that i want some of you to put yourselves into that position. Sometimes people make mistakes when their young, and it can be hard to dig yourself out.

1. UPSers were saying that the top rung were getting huge increases to their wages and we were not getting enough.
2. Hostess employees were taking cuts while higher ups were getting raises.

Isn't these just what the fast food workers are saying?

Here is the "hypothetical".

17 year old "woman" meets 24 year old man.
She drops out of high school.
They move in together.
They have 2 kids.
He leaves her and disappears off the face of the earth while she is pregnant with the second kid
She was the 2nd income and was providing it with fast food - 40-50 hrs per week
She was a good worker and had worked herself into the bottom level of management
She was grossing about $16000 per year
She gets on state healthcare and WIC (this would have been before Obamacare)
The DHS will provide no monetary help as she hasn't went after the father for child support.
She has no money to go after the father in court and is unable to locate him on her own.
She is taking care of 2 kids, and all the regular bills on what is left after taxes of $16000 which is what she is earning as management
Every waking moment is either working, or taking care of a newborn and a 3 year old

Now answer the following questions.

How would you like her to improve herself? How would she find the time/money to improve herself?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not much more than you do. I wasn't minimizing the job of a UPS driver. You earn your money. I take exception with fast food workers being constantly belittled as "burger flippers." It mischaracterizes what they do. It would be like calling drivers "package recorders." Not a fair characterization of the job but useful if one is trying to minimize their value.

She is just a PTer.

Sent using BrownCafe App

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Pretty sure that most fast food chains are franchises and that the major hit would be on the franchise owners.
The amount of envy/spiteful ness that has been injected into society against these "rich" people is disgusting to me. They have worked harder and paid their dues. Now everyone is calling for them to give up what they've earned to carry the losers of society. And if you're "trying to support a family" while holding a single min wage job at a fast food joint you're a loser.
Any loser can have kids, it's not anyone's obligation to support them other than the people who made them, and that's really what's at the heart of this whole wage argument.
In this thread low wage workers have been belittled, portrayed as unmotivated, called unintelligent, called losers, and more. The object of spite doesn't appear to be the rich.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
See post 104...it was clarified...way ahead of you, Superdave
In his mind, it is....lol. That's okay, let him feel important for a min. It'll help his day go faster tomorrow when he's at the movies alone watching Godzilla...lol
I missed that post. I thought you were a male driver, which blew my mind when I read the Ronald McDonald exchange. Lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Actually it is very relevant, manager was saying dosent get paid much more than you, you, being bleedinbrown58 is only pt working 4 hours a day for part time wage. Very relevant actually.
PT wage...lol. And it was between me and the center manager...why you and Superdave felt the need to chime in, is beyond me. That's relevant too.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
PT wage...lol. And it was between me and the center manager...why you and Superdave felt the need to chime in, is beyond me. That's relevant too.
center manager was under assumption you were a ft driver working driver hours at driver pay... Which is like at least 70to 90 k. You work like 3.5 hours a day at pt pay. Is that what you think a center manager makes???

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
center manager was under assumption you were a ft driver working driver hours at driver pay... Which is like at least 70to 90 k. You work like 3.5 hours a day at pt pay. Is that what you think a center manager makes???
A) you don't know a damn thing about how much I make. B) I'm well aware of what a center manager makes...see posts #104 and 131...it was clarified, he missed it. You can take your foot outta your mouth anytime now.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
A) you don't know a damn thing about how much I make. B) I'm well aware of what a center manager makes...see posts #104 and 131...it was clarified, he missed it. You can take your foot outta your mouth anytime now.
image.jpg
image.jpg