1800 jobs on CNN.....

purplesky

yeah, i would agree... BUT i would also say, if we had growing package volumes, this wouldnt be a problem....more trucks on the road.

No Salesguy they stop putting in ENOUGH split cars several years ago. So stop pretending that if we get more volume we will get more routes. Most of us in my hub worked close to 60 hours this week and they once again did not put in more routes. Its a joke now to be a driver at UPS delivering crap to people at 8:30 at night. People dont like it in the areas were I deliver when you say "ITS UPS" and they think you are saying "ITS THE POLICE" as they are trying to make another welfare baby. WE ARE ONLY GOING TO WORK MORE 12 HOUR DAYS TO PAY FOR THE UPS BAILOUT AS THE VOLUME INCREASES. I want more volume and leads for you dude but please dont insult us with this more trucks on the road crap! :wink2:

TheJoe

can someone tell me what on car sups do anymore? they no longer know what is on the package cars,they don't go visit customers . so what is it that they do?

Most just slow you down, ask too many questions and act like they know your route better than you :knockedout:

jimstud

Banned
What do you want your on-car sup to do? If you feel your on-car sup is incompetent, uncaring, or indifferent have the stones to take it to a higher level. In my center the sups, or most of them, take our concerns seriously and admit that they can only do what comes from above and then try to work it to everyone's benefit. Would you rather they nitpick you for 4/5 hrs. a day or visit your customers and hear, and then react on, what a customer may say about any driver? Would you rather they ride with you for a couple of days and note every method you fail to perform and then engage in progressive discipline? Before complaining about a sup talk to him or her. You probably go to them first when YOU want something, right??
there was a time when the on cars had a thing called area knowledge , do you remember this? that way when there was a problem like business being loaded in the 8000 section you could talk to him/her and get it resolved.as far nitpicking that is all they do anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You all seem to have communication issues within your centers. I am wondering what your thoughts are on the 1800 jobs going out the window.

I think this is a positive move for the company and will streamline our operations as we head in to the new decade. I just hope that the EBO targets those individuals for whom it is intended and leaves those who will remain an asset to the company in place.

klein

Für Meno :)
You all seem to have communication issues within your centers. I am wondering what your thoughts are on the 1800 jobs going out the window.

I think it's great !
Do you really need a rep flying in from another center, with all travelling costs and hotels, meals, to tell you how to deliver in your own city ?
Bunch of garbage that is (was)..

Should have never gone that far , in the first place.

i.E.: Americans flying to Canada to tell us how to do the job !
Which they have no clue about.

Every city, region is differnet.

It all comes down to the drivers knowlege and expertise anyways.
And, even the center managers. They know the region. Not the over paid outsiders !

Re-Raise

i work from 630 am to 730 pm every day. sometimes, i wake up at 2 am for a confernce call with china. ease up

i dont know anything other that if you have to be in under 9.5, be in under 9.5. simple as that.

If you are calling standing around the center watching the preload wrap up and the drivers head out in -10 degree weather after an 8 inch snowstorm work, then you must be the sales guy at my center.

That is what our sales guys were doing. They may have sat in the office and made a few tough phone calls after we went out to provide delivery service to the paying customers.

Don't even compare what you do to what the drivers do , you just look foolish and piss the real UPS workers off.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
If you are calling standing around the center watching the preload wrap up and the drivers head out in -10 degree weather after an 8 inch snowstorm work, then you must be the sales guy at my center.

That is what our sales guys were doing. They may have sat in the office and made a few tough phone calls after we went out to provide delivery service to the paying customers.

Don't even compare what you do to what the drivers do , you just look foolish and piss the real UPS workers off.

as i said in the PM conversation we were having before you started to troll me, customers do not spend $1 million with our company because they like their driver.

we dont get 8 inches of snow here very often, so if that happened, yeah, i would be making phone calls. safety first? if a customer needed me, or needed to negotiate a contract or anything else, I am there.

good luck finding happiness bro, you need it. monday morning is coming fast.

Re-Raise

as i said in the PM conversation we were having before you started to troll me, customers do not spend $1 million with our company because they like their driver.

we dont get 8 inches of snow here very often, so if that happened, yeah, i would be making phone calls. safety first? if a customer needed me, or needed to negotiate a contract or anything else, I am there.

Why would they need you? Are you going to get their packages to them?

klein

Für Meno :)

I guess according to UPSSalesGuy, the drivers can be totally rude, and mean.
As long as he is doing his job, no customer will ever complain or change delivery service.

Wow, keep that in mind !
(since Monday is arriving soon).

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

no. but lets be honest, without a good price, you wont even have the opportuntity to deliver the packages. its the pick up that makes us money, the delviery costs us money.

I guess according to UPSSalesGuy, the drivers can be totally rude, and mean.
As long as he is doing his job, no customer will ever complain or change delivery service.

Wow, keep that in mind !
(since Monday is arriving soon).

when did I say this? if you friend up the delivery, we lose the customer. that is obvious to everyone.

upsgrunt

What is it you want salesguy? Do you want everyone to proclaim that your job is most important, and that the work you do is what keeps UPS afloat? Why do you insist on minimizing the driver position? It is just mindless work, right? "If they tell you to be under 9.5, then just do it". All we have to do is follow instructions, right?

A customer may not spend a million dollars with Ups because they like their driver, but I guarantee you that it helps.

For the record, I have no problem turning in sales leads; IF I COULD GET AN HONEST ONE. I cannot manufacture one just to make "numbers". I deliver in rural BFE and there is simply nothing there. Being told I have to turn in a lead a week just to satisfy a report is stupid.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
What is it you want salesguy? Do you want everyone to proclaim that your job is most important, and that the work you do is what keeps UPS afloat? Why do you insist on minimizing the driver position? It is just mindless work, right? "If they tell you to be under 9.5, then just do it". All we have to do is follow instructions, right?

A customer may not spend a million dollars with Ups because they like their driver, but I guarantee you that it helps.

For the record, I have no problem turning in sales leads; IF I COULD GET AN HONEST ONE. I cannot manufacture one just to make "numbers". I deliver in rural BFE and there is simply nothing there. Being told I have to turn in a lead a week just to satisfy a report is stupid.

what I really want is all you stuck up "my job is the most important" people to realize we are a fricken team and we all play a crucial role. yes, without the drivers, the packages wouldnt be delivered, that is why we hired delivery drivers.

we hire sales people to go out and get our competitors packages.

sure, mock me for that, i dont care. I am happy, I make good money, and my customers like UPS, their account executive, and their driver.

any time I talk about what I do is usually to justify to one of the stooges on this board that salespeople do way more than drink sam adams and play golf all week. inf act, I have played golf ((at work)) once in two years, and it was a united way event.

maybe in the '80s when we didnt have competition, but not now.

Re-Raise

I feel the same way. The reason a sales lead from a driver means something is because our customers know we aren't going to waste their time unless it is a real lead and will help them.

I have no problem identifying new customers for UPS. I want the busines but don't make me turn in leads to meet a number on some stupid report. My credibilty with my customers means more to me than that.

Grunt... Pretty tough weather this week huh?

upsgrunt

what I really want is all you stuck up "my job is the most important" people to realize we are a fricken team and we all play a crucial role. yes, without the drivers, the packages wouldnt be delivered, that is why we hired delivery drivers.

we hire sales people to go out and get our competitors packages.

sure, mock me for that, i dont care. I am happy, I make good money, and my customers like UPS, their account executive, and their driver.

any time I talk about what I do is usually to justify to one of the stooges on this board that salespeople do way more than drink sam adams and play golf all week. inf act, I have played golf ((at work)) once in two years, and it was a united way event.

maybe in the '80s when we didnt have competition, but not now.

I'm all for the team concept; as long as it is fair. That means "we" share the blame and the fame.

upsgrunt

I feel the same way. The reason a sales lead from a driver means something is because our customers know we aren't going to waste their time unless it is a real lead and will help them.

I have no problem identifying new customers for UPS. I want the busines but don't make me turn in leads to meet a number on some stupid report. My credibilty with my customers means more to me than that.

Grunt... Pretty tough weather this week huh?

Thanks Eric!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it was a tough weather week.
Thursday I had 30 Emergency conditions and still can't remember when my feet had been that wet or cold in a long time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They dont spend $1 million with our company because they like their account rep either.