1st week COMPLETE

menotyou

bella amicizia
Steelhead look like alot of fun on tv. We don't have them down here in the south though. :(

Oh, and I love the new shirt, missed a button btw :wink2:
I just can't seem to get it to stay. :winks:

We have so many of those salmon(3kinds), it's funny. The little village I live near, Ellisburg, has so many fish-heads in it. More fish-heads than people.

I started in early November and when I started it was slow. I've been with four drivers so far. The routine between each driver is substantially different. Experiencing different drivers helped me realize the wide variation between each driver. It's been interesting thus far. So far I've been able to work every working day.

Just getting used as a runner got boring quick. The first week, the assigned driver didn't even let me touch the DIAD. Now I get to do almost everything with it. Despite 30 min training at the center, which was spent keying in address with the assumption EDD is not in use. So first time I got to play with it, I couldn't even DR front door myself.

I still get stuck from time to time, but now I can handle most things that needs to be done. Thanks to help from people here, especially UpstateNY, I can now handle reading the EDD, recognizing # of packages per stop, suite/apt numbers, signature required, InfoNotice, signed delivery notice and duplicate stops.

I'm still shaky with doing LeftAts and prerecord.

Stops that are complicated (to me anyways) still stalls me. One stop had 7 packages of all the places, at an apartment complex, where I was told I can't DR unless they're shipper release.

This stop was something like this and I got stuck and it took me over five minutes :biting::sad-very:

2 shipper release that I could leave at door
1 signature required envelope
1 adult signature required no Left-At allowed
3 standard packages

What I wanted to do all in one stop was:
leave two shipper releases at the door
take four to the manager's
Take the adult-sig back to the truck in one stop.

Sheet one:
I sheeted two target.com stuff and the wine together. Did NI-2 on the wine, checked adult sig required at the apartment on the InfoNotice. Since I did leave the target stuff at the door, I finished it as stop complete. I just wrote on the InfoNotice to pick up all the remainder except the Adult-sig at the manager's office and that we must get signature at the apartment for the wine and that we'll make the final attempt on Monday.

The three normal packages and one sig required, I made a separate sheeting, pre-recorded. I let the driver deal with them.

What I hate the most is when I've just finished up a stop like that with NotIn and run into the consignee on my way back to the truck. I can do a duplicate stop on the wine, but I don't know how to dig things out of pre-record :greedy:

I'm just a seasonal helper too. I didn't know about this forum until I considered becoming one. Before I applied, I searched about UPS driver helpers and this forum came up in the result. We're not bad people. Don't look down on us :(
No,in no way do I think any of you helpers are bad people....just not buying into all the enthusiasm. Too many trolls on here to believe everything you read is all.

curiousbrain

UpsGuy 72 was right on..They will play you untill the 23rd..then drop you. If and when volume picks up as it did for me in 82 then after Jan 1st You may get called back..I started at 30 and was lucky to go friend/T right off the street , and did not have to go P/T at all , I did make it a carreer and retired in 08 with just over 25 yrs...You may be gung ho now but little by little you will lose steam along the way as UPS has a way of doing things that only those and others like myself who have gone through it would understand..You have no Idea..Trust me...:surprised:......

It's only fair that if you ask us new-comers not to impose our optimism on you and not talk about it, that you old-timers not impose your pessimism on us and not to talk about it.

Does that mean you are underappreciated? Not in the least; but consider it from the position of a new hire who thinks "my opinion doesn't matter, it's only those with many years in who matter"; what is the difference between that train of thought and the new hire who goose steps to management?

There is none.

UPSGUY72

It's only fair that if you ask us new-comers not to impose our optimism on you and not talk about it, that you old-timers not impose your pessimism on us and not to talk about it.

Does that mean you are underappreciated? Not in the least; but consider it from the position of a new hire who thinks "my opinion doesn't matter, it's only those with many years in who matter"; what is the difference between that train of thought and the new hire who goose steps to management?

There is none.

Sounds like a lot of crap that someone in management would say.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
To Upstate with regards to the air down here I will send some up in a bottle next day red just post your address to exit 3 Jersey Turnpike

The Milkman

There is none.

Just telling it like it was and still is today. Yes at one time I was Gung Ho and going over and above to make book, Then over the years the reality of how Mgmt thinks of us sunk in. I had no idea when I started what I was in for, something this forum for the most part can shed some truth of the workings behind the scenes at Big Brown. No harm in telling the truth.....I lived it. worked it. Put up with it.. and finally retired from it...I am sure others would agree with me that it takes a physical and mental toll on your mind and body and it is something that no matter how much money they throw at you, that as you look back at what you went through and say was it really worth it in the long run...Just my opinion after being at the front lines, behind the lines, and in the line of fire taking shots and dealing with the family life sacrifices that went along with it:peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Sounds like a lot of crap that someone in management would say.
Right On Brother:peaceful::peaceful:

I think he was trying to find a nice way to say - the "not beaten down" versus the "beaten down".

I always liked the saying, "Beaten paths are for beaten men."

Damn young whippersnappers!

browniehound

Great job Riverfish. You are exactly what UPS and I are looking for in a helper. I believe the driver helper is the most difficult job at UPS. Up,down,up,down 270 times/day for an entire month. However, if I get a helper like you describe 270 is not so bad.

UPSGUY72

Great job Riverfish. You are exactly what UPS and I are looking for in a helper. I believe the driver helper is the most difficult job at UPS. Up,down,up,down 270 times/day for an entire month. However, if I get a helper like you describe 270 is not so bad.

Really !!!!! Being a helper is the most difficult at UPS. Can you enlighten me!!!

RiverFisher

Thanks. I'm trying my hardest.

RiverFisher

RiverFisher, I'm glad you found a job you like in these tough times. It is true that managment may be only blowin smoke in order to motivate you to keep your pace. I'm not trying to be negative, but keep this in mind. These people will try anything to make their numbers look good.

Nice name btw. I just got off the river myself, and was a pretty good day for Dec. 3rd. I caught 1 blue cat around 18lbs, and 3 in the 4-6lb range that I kept for the table.

I get most of my motivation from my driver who tells me often I doing good as well as a bunch of thank you's. It's nice to be appreciated when you know you're giving it your all.

AssistantSanta

I'm a helper and I agree. It's like putting a first time skier on the most difficult run and instructing him to not fall while under pressure to complete ASAP.

Not only are they usually inexperienced, they're usually put under pressure to get it done fast on walk paths they're unfamiliar with. Not the proper routine that you are supposed to go by which involves filling full and complete InfoNotice, never running and getting signature when you just happens to see customer.

My driver instructs the walk from the truck to the door(on unfamiliar path...) is for scanning the package and the clarification for signature only needs to be reasonably close to how it sounds.

For me, my safety first, accuracy second and I'll do these with a sense of urgency, but at my own pace.

klolx

Let him load 4 trucks during peak for 8 hours and tell him that helper is the most difficult job at UPS.

UPSGUY72

I'm a helper and I agree. It's like putting a first time skier on the most difficult run and instructing him to not fall while under pressure to complete ASAP.

Not a good analogy.

Not only are they usually inexperienced, they're usually put under pressure to get it done fast on walk paths they're unfamiliar with. Not the proper routine that you are supposed to go by which involves filling full and complete InfoNotice, never running and getting signature when you just happens to see customer.

So do you have trouble walking when you go somewhere new all the time or is the pressure of having to walking to a house with a package put you over the edge.

My driver instructs the walk from the truck to the door(on unfamiliar path...) is for scanning the package and the clarification for signature only needs to be reasonably close to how it sounds.

Again you are having problem walking.

For me, my safety first, accuracy second and I'll do these with a sense of urgency, but at my own pace.

Dude your are a helper. The driver gives you the package and tell you what to do with it. However you seem to think that you have to reinvent the wheel while walking to the house and back.