Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest. I just wanted to let you know that there will be some service disruptions here over the next few days. We're moving to a new server and then the latest version of xenforo is going to be installed. ~ cheryl

2-3% interest rate savings accounts advice

Discussion in 'Life After Brown' started by 2033, Dec 31, 2018.

1. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

I've got a reasonable amount saved up in an emergency fund. It's currently sitting in a low interest savings account. I've seen that some legitimate banks are offering around 2% interest rates. I'm looking to put this money to work while keeping it relatively safe. 2% is a lot better than what I'm getting with it now. I'm looking for opinions on these accounts, suggestions for better options available, and general thoughts on the matter.

2. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Invest it all into Bitcoin .

3. rod

rod retired and happy

Sadly if you want a GOOD return it involves risk

4. T bills

5. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Might want to check out the Savings Account section on Nerdwallet. Of the banks listed, I'd probably go with American Express High Yield Savings @ 2.10% or Discover @ 2% and a $150 bonus on $15K deposited, $250 on $25K.

6. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I understand OP wanting to keep his emergency fund pretty liquid at a lower rate. Can at least keep it ahead of inflation.

7. rod

rod retired and happy

or spend it on blow and hookers.

8. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Only if you're OK with the idea of selling handies on a street corner if things go south.

9. 3 month T bills paying 2.5

10. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Those easy to convert to quick cash? Never bought any.

11. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Or if your just bored

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Yeah, just something to keep my money safe, but make more than what I'm getting now. I'll look at nerd wallet.

13. Depending on the amount you might be better off with sign up bonuses.
    https://www.depositaccounts.com/savings/best-savings-checking-account-bonus-offers/

I always check bankrate.com for the apr's, there's a couple online banks at 2.3 percent right now.

Might want to look around locally too, im getting 4% at a local credit union.

14. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

^^^^This.
    DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) gives you 5% for the first $1000, regular bank rates after that. If you're married, and you each start an account, there's $2000 making 5% for you.

15. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Sabbra Cadabra

St Marys Bank does this as well.

We love that bank.

16. Yes. They take the money out of your bank account and when they mature they deposit it back into your bank account.
    Takes only a few minutes to open up an account.

Daily Treasury Bill Rates Data

17. Also they are not taxed by the state. So that's a little extra...

18. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Duh

19. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You can maybe match inflation. The chances of staying ahead of it are slim if you’re staying safe. The higher interest rates. The higher inflation is.

20. aM829EvTefUMU.gif