2 part question. Penalties/Union representation.

542thruNthru

My BA said I can't grieve penalties and I can't find anything in the local regarding the time in which penalties should be paid by the company so should I just file a grievance anyways?

Article 17 NMA- paid for time.
Screenshot_20200128-133124_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

trickpony1

Most UPS people talk smack, and do nothing.

Last time I checked, the union members pay the salaries of these union officials that are supposed to represent and protect us.

It's sorta like UPS pays us to do a job. If we don't do said job we get, eventually, fired.

I know it's confusing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Last time I checked, the union members pay the salaries of these union officials that are supposed to represent and protect us.

It's sorta like UPS pays us to do a job. If we don't do said job we get, eventually, fired.

I know it's confusing.

That's why there are Local elections every 3 years. Don't like your Local situation ?

Run for office.... @Bubblehead did, and is now President of a 5000 man Local.

M

MenInBrown

Since the BA won't return your calls call the union hall and speak to the President.

If this doesn't work contact NLRB.
If this doesn't work contact your state Labor Board.

Isn't there contract language about the time period for penalty checks?

Yes there are but it’s in the book that the Teamsters do not enforce.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I knew a guy in the same situation. He called his landlord in the HR office and forced the HR guy to explain why his rent was gonna be late. The HR guy was really embarrassed to be put on the spot like that, but I guess after that his issue got fixed and he hasn't had problems since.

I wouldn't have the stones to do what he did, but I guess if you're desperate enough to try it...

Personally, I like to ride the gravy train as far as it will take me. Like @BigUnionGuy showed you, after 10 working days the clock starts ticking again. Your penalty pay has been adding up for most of those 17 weeks.
We file weekly for the penalty pay per pay period.

So you didnt go to the hearing?

As I mentioned my business agent doesn't give me any information. I just now found out that a grievance I filed 2 months ago under his instruction is wrong. Filed five that day four were right the one for the most money was allegedly wrong. Now it's been so long and my situation has gotten so rough that I don't have the time or the resources to figure out who's bull:censored2:ting who here...

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
As I mentioned my business agent doesn't give me any information. I just now found out that a grievance I filed 2 months ago under his instruction is wrong. Filed five that day four were right the one for the most money was allegedly wrong. Now it's been so long and my situation has gotten so rough that I don't have the time or the resources to figure out who's bull:censored2:ting who here...
I'm sorry to hear that. It's a bad work environment often. Hang in there.

22.34life

There is no excuse for not returning calls.

That's kind of odd....

Oh yeah.

"Any grievance settlement not paid within ten (10) working days of the settlement shall entitle the grievant(s) to a penalty payment as outlined above. The ten (10) working day period shall begin to run when the Labor Department representative agrees to the settlement, or is notified by the Union or management team of the settlement."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

-Bug-
the only problem with that article 17 language is how does the member know when the settlement date was and when the 10 day window has expired.