$200

It will be fine

Anyone who lets his love/hate for a company trigger a purchase/sale shouldn't be giving any advice on anything at all. And he had 900 shares? LOL, I bet!
Isn't that how capitalism works? Vote with your pocketbook. If you own part of a company you despise you're selling your mental health. There are plenty of investments out there, no reason to support one if you find them morally objectionable.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Isn't that how capitalism works? Vote with your pocketbook. If you own part of a company you despise you're selling your mental health. There are plenty of investments out there, no reason to support one if you find them morally objectionable.

The only purpose of an investment is to make money. I can't see myself buying or selling anything based on how much I like or hate a company. That's an easy way to screw yourself.

It will be fine

The only purpose of an investment is to make money. I can't see myself buying or selling anything based on how much I like or hate a company. That's an easy way to screw yourself.
Maybe you should explore other purposes. If you can use your money to do good in the world as well as make money why wouldn't you?

FedGT

Fully agree on point one fully disagree on point two. If I won't use or hate a product I will not buy a single share of it, I also believe you shouldn't give up on your own moral standards. I believe it is my own personal sense of due diligence. Historical data shows it was very intelligent to buy into cigarette companies, others can make a lot of money with it but I have no issues with myself for not buying into companies that products kill people. Going the other direction, there are numerous companies I have avoided because I didn't like the product and they have gone belly up. Anyone's single opinion does not dictate what the majority thinks but quite a few times it very well may.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fully agree on point one fully disagree on point two. If I won't use or hate a product I will not buy a single share of it, I also believe you shouldn't give up on your own moral standards. I believe it is my own personal sense of due diligence. Historical data shows it was very intelligent to buy into cigarette companies, others can make a lot of money with it but I have no issues with myself for not buying into companies that products kill people.

And smokers drive up health costs for everyone, including me, so I would invest in cigarette companies to offset that.

Come to think of it, the only billionaire I've ever met made his fortune selling sub-generic cigarettes. Rabid anti-tobacco advocate, too, and freely said he wished society would get rid of smoking.