2012 Pay band.......

bigdog

January 2013 look for all business units (Brown, Freight, SCS, etc) to go under one incentive plan. Rumor I'm getting is all units will falll under the SCS model....Managers - 1 unit, supervisors - 1/2 unit. The half of RSU's you get in cash will roll into your salary (one time deal - just like the old "half month) then new plan takes affect.

If this is true, I predict in 2014 the rest will go into your salary.....this way UPS issues no more MIP (looks good to Wall Street) and if it pushes a lot of people over the new salary band max, this would mean salaries could be "frozen" for a lot of people if the bands are not immediately expanded (no matter how hard you work)....sounds like a "winner" for UPS...again just a rumor I hear kicked around

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have 29 years with UPS (25 in management). Remember that 4.1% raise you got to compensate you for the 1/2 month that went away? That will prevent many people like myself who are in the upper section of my payband from getting raises in the next few years. I'm sure someone in the compensation commitee who thought to do this is so proud of the millions they will save UPS. People...we are making record profits now. I feel this great company that I have worked very hard for has slapped me in the face. I don't know how I could possibly get more motivated. We are becoming any company USA. Put that in your class action file.
I hope you realize it isn't just management that is getting spanked.

Popeye

January 2013 look for all business units (Brown, Freight, SCS, etc) to go under one incentive plan. Rumor I'm getting is all units will falll under the SCS model....Managers - 1 unit, supervisors - 1/2 unit. The half of RSU's you get in cash will roll into your salary (one time deal - just like the old "half month) then new plan takes affect.

If this is true, I predict in 2014 the rest will go into your salary.....this way UPS issues no more MIP (looks good to Wall Street) and if it pushes a lot of people over the new salary band max, this would mean salaries could be "frozen" for a lot of people if the bands are not immediately expanded (no matter how hard you work)....sounds like a "winner" for UPS...again just a rumor I hear kicked around

The part about making MIP smaller and salaries higher would be appealing. After all, it's a large part of our compensation that's variable. And it varies based on factors we can't even SEE much less have any control over. Over the past 7 years they've been tinkering with management compensation so many different ways it's like a shell game. They're banking on not many people being able to keep their eye on the shell with the marble under it. Hint: The shell with the marble under it is your W2. If it's not on there, it's not YOUR money. ;)

UPS1907

50% of the management team in my department was negatively impacted by this new pay band. The attempt to bring pay into line with the market does not apply to upper management. The CEO of FedEx made $7.3 million dollars in 2011, which was a decrease from 2010. Our CEO got a 22% pay increase. Thank goodness I had not voted my shares yet before I was told I made too much money. I have been with UPS for 28 years and have been told there is a good chance I won't get a raise next year. I remememebr the days when we were all called partners. I really miss those days. This has in essence taken away my 1/2 month bonus since I will not get a raise based on the fact I am overpaid. I rated over 110% on my QPR and was rated a strong perfomer. I am responsible for an AM and PM operation. If I'm not at work I am basicly on call.

The new salary bands have rocked my faith in UPS to the core. I'm 25+ year man being told I'm not going to get any raises for the next X years. I know how corporate America works but I never thought in a million years UPS would sell management out for the sake of the Teamster. (They still get raises and will in the future) Next year is a contract year and I could care less if UPS goes on strike to the point that they have to sell off every asset in the company. I can't emphasize how betrayed I feel by UPS. After this last generation leaves of 45 and up, UPS will have every thing they want from management, that is, if they want medicore results. I think they will have to start tracking management turnover for the 30 and under set. Let's see, 1/2 month gone, raises gone (for many) ...I guess the MIP is next. UPS treats their management with no respect and has no loyalty to any management person regardless of years. That begs the question, why should any management person have loyalty to UPS. Treat it like any other 9-5er, and I have a lawyer on hand if they unjustly try to fire you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess Scotty was not put on a salary band .., 30% raise was a lot more than my %. Oh well, I guess I'll add another until I retire to compensate.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The new salary bands have rocked my faith in UPS to the core. I'm 25+ year man being told I'm not going to get any raises for the next X years. I know how corporate America works but I never thought in a million years UPS would sell management out for the sake of the Teamster. (They still get raises and will in the future) Next year is a contract year and I could care less if UPS goes on strike to the point that they have to sell off every asset in the company. I can't emphasize how betrayed I feel by UPS. After this last generation leaves of 45 and up, UPS will have every thing they want from management, that is, if they want medicore results. I think they will have to start tracking management turnover for the 30 and under set. Let's see, 1/2 month gone, raises gone (for many) ...I guess the MIP is next. UPS treats their management with no respect and has no loyalty to any management person regardless of years. That begs the question, why should any management person have loyalty to UPS. Treat it like any other 9-5er, and I have a lawyer on hand if they unjustly try to fire you.
I'm confused. Scotty is sitting on 5 beautiful big bills in the bank. Package drivers are going out with 30% more work than they did 5 years ago. WE get a 3% or so raise a year from a contract that was mutually agreed upon by both parties. How can you blame the teamsters because Scott is a tightwad and doesn't share the profits with management as his predecessors in the past did? Did the contract with the Teamsters have some hidden clause in there that negates any further management raises in loo of teamsters raises?

airops

Have you done the math to find the target pay for your job. Based on a 45 hour work week the target for my job is $7.00 below a Drivers wage. I was promoted from a Driver over 20 years ago. I paid almost $3,000 for benefits last year. I don't have 30 and out. I buy my own clothes to work. You can all fill in more negatives.

I was told that the pay bands were started because no one wanted to be promoted. I'm thinking most people realize that they can't afford to take a promotion. UPS is the only company I know that equates a promotion to a cut in compensation.

UPS wants our pay to be equal to similar jobs in the industry. Have they looked at our work environment? Cinder block walls, desks made out of 2 draw filing cabinets, I share my office with many people, heat set very cold in winter and hot in summer, computer systems that were written in DOS, this list could also go on forever. The fact is there are not similar jobs out there. No other company disrespects their management more than UPS. Just listen to any Operation Conference Call.

I agree with many others. My compensation is good. But it's not more than the Teamster jobs and the responsibility is crazy. I fear for the company that I've given so much to help create. I think we just went down a very dark road.

Hey UPS1907, Well said. I never dreamed I would feel this way about "our company". I remember having so much pride helping build this company. But now I feel like an administrative person that is being told what to do and how to do it. And my input is not wanted. And its not just the front line supervisor or Center Manager. I see many Division Managers that are treated like this as well. I am eligible to retire at 55 in four years which I plan to do. I predict that MIP will be manipulated so much it will be down to nothing and will probably be non-existent by the time I retire. I really feel for the young management folks. Their future will never be close to the experience and opportunities I got to have in the almost 30 years I have here. What separated us as the premier company in the past is now quickly fading away. It is very sad. I wonder if the UPS Management Committee really has the insight to see this or are they just fat, dumb and happy since their pay continues to grow at a much faster rate or in my case it will be no growth at all? I wonder if there is that much pressure by Wall Street to perform or is it UPS Board greed? It makes me sick in my stomach. I feel like my family has disowned me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The big misconception was that all the technology like PAS, Telamatics etc was designed solely for the purpose of hourly production. Ultimately the so called Center of the future wil exist without Supes and managers. Do I really need a full time Supe to do things an OMS can do at 1/4 the cost? Pushing paper and worrying about plus minus 15 compliance and asking people if they know DOKs? Driving 2 or 3 in a car following drivers? Punching changes to my DOL into a computer? I like my mgmnt team but the writing is on the wall.

COH_IE

The big misconception was that all the technology like PAS, Telamatics etc was designed solely for the purpose of hourly production.
half true. PAS was meant to deskill the preloader job. to apply the PAS label is a step that didn't exist previously, one in which belt speeds had to be slowed down in most places. so you could argue that PAS was a production killer. but again, it was implemented so that if a work stoppage were ever to occur again (which seems more and more unlikely), the knowledge it took to do the job wasn't requisite on being an experienced employee.

but to everyone's point, is it fair what the compensation committee is doing? no. but just make sure you vote your shares.

lowlysup

I did vote my shares and I suggest everyone else do the same. I looked up all of the members of the Compensation Committee, and I voted NO for each and every one of them.

lowlysup

OK, you are correct. My shares amount to nothing. All of our shares together are just a little bit more than nothing. However, I am not ready to give in now. If I were, I would be looking for another job outside of UPS. If someone has a better idea of how to have our voice heard, please let us all know.