2014 rolls in with bad weather

Notretiredyet

Just got a call that the loads were just getting there and drivers don't start until 930 (845 usual start time)
If you have a posted start time that's what time you start, tried that yesterday in our center. Had to remind them we had a posted start time, so we loaded for awhile.

over9five

Staff member
Wasn't too bad a night. Lowest temperature I noticed was -1, but the wind was outrageous! Wind chill must have been -20!
All Massachusetts highways were reduced to 45mph, but I still had many maroon UPS feeder drivers flying by me. I just don't understand that...
The worst part of the night was getting stuck behind plow lines. They don't let anyone pass, and now your top speed is 15mph.
Witnessed 2 accidents. One, a car bounced off a guardrail and spun around. Two, a tractor trailer went off the highway into the median ditch.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just more proof that mankind is getting weaker as time goes on. Minnesota"s Governor has closed ALL schools for Monday due to cold weather. Although I never did walk to school 5 miles (up hill both ways) when I was growing up, the schools never did close because of "cold". They did close a few times when we were snowed in but never just because it was cold. I did have a paper route after grade school that was approximately 2 miles long and I did walk or bike that.

On second thought maybe mankind is getting smarter not weaker.

oldngray

nowhere special
Just more proof that mankind is getting weaker as time goes on. Minnesota"s Governor has closed ALL schools for Monday due to cold weather. Although I never did walk to school 5 miles (up hill both ways) when I was growing up the schools never did close because of 'cold". They did close a few times when we were snowed in but never just because it was cold. I did have a paper route after grade school that was approximately 2 miles long and I did walk or bike that.

When I was in school it did close a couple of times for cold. Temps below 0 and a lot of kids needing to wait outside for school buses. But I do agree that now schools tend to close far more frequently because of weather. I think they are afraid they won't get to use all of their allowed "calamity" days - no longer called snow days since schools can close for almost any reason. It seems every year schools will close at every little bit of bad weather early in school year and use up their days. Then a late storm will hit and they have to scramble to make up the extra missed days.

Wasn't too bad a night. Lowest temperature I noticed was -1, but the wind was outrageous! Wind chill must have been -20!
All Massachusetts highways were reduced to 45mph, but I still had many maroon UPS feeder drivers flying by me. I just don't understand that...
The worst part of the night was getting stuck behind plow lines. They don't let anyone pass, and now your top speed is 15mph.
Witnessed 2 accidents. One, a car bounced off a guardrail and spun around. Two, a tractor trailer went off the highway into the median ditch.

You made it back in one piece that's what counts.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I was in school it did close a couple of times for cold. Temps below 0 and a lot of kids needing to wait outside for school buses. But I do agree that now schools tend to close far more frequently because of weather . I think they are afraid they won't get to use all of their allowed "calamity" days - no longer called snow days since schools can close for almost any reason. It seems every year schools will close at every little bit of bad weather early in school year and use up their days. Then a late storm will hit and they have to scramble to make up the extra missed days.

I get a kick how around here they will get the kids to school when the roads are really bad but let them go home in a couple of hours just so they get credit for a full day. I know it pisses a lot of people off when they are at work and all of a sudden they hear school is being let out early

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Things are always worse, and more important on the East coast, aren't they?

You'd think New York was the only place that ever got inclement weather.

For such "tough people", there sure a flock of candy asses out there...

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Saw a jeep wagoneer lose control & almost take out a feeder last night at drum hill rotary. Driver must have :censored2: himself, close call.

Marne Vet

Today was ridiculous. Got a call from a sup at 6 AM telling me that our start time today was 9:30 instead of 8:30. Still went in a little early because of all the snow. Preload wasn't wrapped, so we left around 10:15 AM. Airs in trace, weather, and was told just do whatever ya can. Sheet everything you can't get to as Emergency Conditions. Only had about 15 of those. Walked off a :censored2: load of stops, and pretty much cleaned up my trip. 170 wasn't bad considering we did pickups as we delivered, and no one got a regular pickup today. Most people understood. As usual there were a ton of colon crumbs racing around in two wheel drive vehicles smashing into stuff all day. Idiots. I actually enjoy watching these crash.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just more proof that mankind is getting weaker as time goes on. Minnesota"s Governor has closed ALL schools for Monday due to cold weather. Although I never did walk to school 5 miles (up hill both ways) when I was growing up, the schools never did close because of "cold". They did close a few times when we were snowed in but never just because it was cold. I did have a paper route after grade school that was approximately 2 miles long and I did walk or bike that.

On second thought maybe mankind is getting smarter not weaker.
Closed here also. That's a couple stops I won't have to lug in. Was there ever a school designed where the office(aka delivery point) wasn't a minimum of 50 yards from the parking area?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Boston ; 35 routes going out along with the Sat. stuff .
Second day in a row that they called in all drivers early .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Today was ridiculous. Got a call from a sup at 6 AM telling me that our start time today was 9:30 instead of 8:30. Still went in a little early because of all the snow. Preload wasn't wrapped, so we left around 10:15 AM. Airs in trace, weather, and was told just do whatever ya can. Sheet everything you can't get to as Emergency Conditions. Only had about 15 of those. Walked off a :censored2: load of stops, and pretty much cleaned up my trip. 170 wasn't bad considering we did pickups as we delivered, and no one got a regular pickup today. Most people understood. As usual there were a ton of colon crumbs racing around in two wheel drive vehicles smashing into stuff all day. Idiots. I actually enjoy watching these crash.
Good thing you did not have any problems with customers ... that would have made it a really bad day!

Future

Victory Ride
I really can't imagine working in temps in the -20's for weeks on end. A few years ago we had temps in the negative single digits for a week, and it was just impossible to do anything productive in those temps. The very next week, our temps spiked into the low 70's, so i went from wearing layers on layers with a knit hat, gloves, a gator and boots to shorts and the short sleeve ups :censored2:. That was a weird 2 1/2 week swing in temps.
Winnipeg was - 31 a week ago, that was without wind chill and yes farenheit

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I called the center this morning and was told it was a late start or you can stay home so I chose to stay home. My boss called me later telling me that I need to work tomorrow, I said sorry but no can do I have a three day weekend to enjoy.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What I really enjoyed about Friday was all the EBT Card holders showing up at the Customer Counter DEMANDING their money .
Many routes never left the building & the overflow was stacked everywhere , but some genius at the 800 number told them all to travel half way across the snow covered city and their wishes would be granted .

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Saw a jeep wagoneer lose control & almost take out a feeder last night at drum hill rotary. Driver must have :censored2: himself, close call.

Most (not all) people driving 4wd vehicles think that they are invincible in the snow. I drive a 4wd Tacoma and my wife has a Forester, but we both understand their limitations in bad weather.

Nothing funnier than Jeeps and big SUVs stuck in the median.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WE got To Wisconsin on Monday. It was -15. It never got above 12 the whole time. We drove home Thursday through Hercules, Ohio was the worst part. Got through Chicago before it hit. Now next tues the high here is going to be -4. Not liking this at all.