2023 contract

longtimer

• They don't care about a pension because most won't be able to afford to work PT long enough to be vested.
  • Many part timers are young and couldn't give a rats ass about medical benefits as most of them probably have next to zero monthly medical expenses even without insurance.
  • Most of the "UPS discounts" are laughable and barely better than existing deals available to the general public.
They want money. Why put up with UPS's :censored2: when you can make the same (or more) flipping burgers? Yeah, long term UPS has career potential but few part timers have the luxury to actually think about the long term. They're just trying to make that next rent check and you can't hand your landlord your insurance card as payment.

Consequently, increasing pay will help retention which will lower the number of package cars per loader thus increasing retention further in a positive feedback loop. Eventually you might actually get good loads due to a combination of non-rushed loaders and people staying long enough to actually learn the job.
Disagree several of my part time Teamsters coworkers have 16 to 20 years. They are now making 25 dollars plus an hour with health and pension. Which is why they stay put.

Trucker Clock

For 25 plus years…..you shouldn’t put your bench mark at 35 years. We should be 25 and out at any age. The pensions would barely be a supplement now.

So, you want to work 25 years and then collect a pension for the next 40+years?

Me too......I'm realistic though. Focus on the 30-35 year pension.

AKCoverMan

Live while you work. Retire at 62. Enjoy retirement.

To work for a company for 25 years, retire mid 40’s and expect a livable pension for the next 40 years is ludicrous.
I Mean no two cases are alike. If you started at 20 did 25 yrs and maxed out OT, invested every other dollar you earned and had little to no life till you retire at 40s you could do ok. But if you raise a family, pay a mortgage, drive a nice fat pickup…you probably gonna need to keep working.

I am opposite, UPS was a new career I started in early 40s at a point where I could count my financial assets by opening my wallet. I hope to go to late 2027 when Rule of 85 kicks in. I’ll be 63. Wish me luck! 🤣

I Mean no two cases are alike. If you started at 20 did 25 yrs and maxed out OT, invested every other dollar you earned and had little to no life till you retire at 40s you could do ok. But if you raise a family, pay a mortgage, drive a nice fat pickup…you probably gonna need to keep working.

I am opposite, UPS was a new career I started in early 40s at a point where I could count my financial assets by opening my wallet. I hope to go to late 2027 when Rule of 85 kicks in. I’ll be 63. Wish me luck! 🤣
Old bastard....