2023 contract

Same job, should be same hourly rate. No reason it wouldn't be. May not get all the same benefits but hourly rate should be equal, obviously. Tired of these full timers thinking they are better than part timers doing the same job for the same company. Crazy.
No that's incorrect

A lot more responsibilities come with working full-time and driving

If you want those benefits you go out and get that job

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Same pay scale as RPCDs or do you screw them like the rest of the part timers?

In another post I floated the idea of having them be treated as full time for all intents and purposes except for guaranteed forty hours. They could be guaranteed 16, with the option of being a swing/cover/cut driver (not bid) during the week, but under no obligation to be available to work. They would still accrue the appropriate amount of pension credits and benefits, have full time healthcare, be considered under full-time progression, but only accrue time off based on the actual hours worked.

It's just an idea. I think it's better than whatever hellish scheduling concessions would have to be made otherwise. It would be good, and should be intended, for the.older guys trying to bide their time until they are prepared to retire. It may also be a good way for newbs to ease into the job.

AMC79

In another post I floated the idea of having them be treated as full time for all intents and purposes except for guaranteed forty hours. They could be guaranteed 16, with the option of being a swing/cover/cut driver (not bid) during the week, but under no obligation to be available to work. They would still accrue the appropriate amount of pension credits and benefits, have full time healthcare, be considered under full-time progression, but only accrue time off based on the actual hours worked.

It's just an idea. I think it's better than whatever hellish scheduling concessions would have to be made otherwise. It would be good, and should be intended, for the.older guys trying to bide their time until they are prepared to retire. It may also be a good way for newbs to ease into the job.
Seems worth having a discussion about.

AMC79

There has got to be stronger language on forced 6th punches. This company is getting away with absolute murder by flagrantly exploiting this and forcing guys in on their day off every single week for years now without consequence. And because the bottom of the 22.4s list keeps turning over, it’s always the same guys working 6 days a week. For low seniority RPCDs, it is effectively a year-round peak season. Our building in particular forces guys in regardless of remaining hours, pushing many of us as close to 60 hours as possible, week after week. That’s right, even if you have under 10 minutes remaining for the whole week, you are required to report to work on time and in uniform on your day off so you can stand around for a few minutes and go home.

This is abusive, and our local just lets it happen.
Any day you are required to be at work they have to pay a minimum. Maybe not 8 hours in this case but at least 2, probably at least 4. Can't require someone to give up basically their entire morning off for no money.

Any day you are required to be at work they have to pay a minimum. Maybe not 8 hours in this case but at least 2, probably at least 4. Can't require someone to give up basically their entire morning off for no money.
Maybe where you're at
If we deliver grind we are guaranteed 8 hours
If you force me in you can bet your ass you're going to pay me at least 8 hours if not more

PT Car Washer

Fill me in on what jobs at UPS are gravy jobs. I know loading and unloading trucks/trailers is not an easy job nor is driving.
Clerk jobs, car wash, air driver, smalls sort or bagger. Especially PT air driver paying $33.94/hr to deliver a few envelops or medicine. Do a few ground deliveries or pick ups and get paid $41.49/hr.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Seems worth having a discussion about.

UPS will request part time weekend drivers. The alternative (messed up full time schedules) would be so unworkable for everyone that we have to be willing to entertain the idea. The company is likely to be willing to give up a lot just to make this a possibility, and we should settle for nothing short of maintaining them as a full-time designation.

AMC79

UPS will request part time weekend drivers. The alternative (messed up full time schedules) would be so unworkable for everyone that we have to be willing to entertain the idea. The company is likely to be willing to give up a lot just to make this a possibility, and we should settle for nothing short of maintaining them as a full-time designation.
I see nothing wrong with part time driver jobs with equal pay to full time. PT would work Saturday and Sunday and fill in for vacations as needed. Not many FTers want 6th and even 7th punches so why is it such a problem. Get rid of 22.4 and have all FT drivers be M-friend RPCDs. PTers do weekends and vacation coverage. Simple.

PT Car Washer

I see nothing wrong with part time driver jobs with equal pay to full time. PT would work Saturday and Sunday and fill in for vacations as needed. Not many FTers want 6th and even 7th punches so why is it such a problem. Get rid of 22.4 and have all FT drivers be M-friend RPCDs. PTers do weekends and vacation coverage. Simple.
Some supplements already allow for PT ground drivers.

AMC79

It's the same way here.

What about the younger guys when things get slow and there's no work available for them?
Yeah that definitely can't happen if you are in active status in the union. If you miss a week then you should just have a debit on your account and the next week you have work you pay for the missed week(s). You absolutely should not go without insurance because you missed a week whether due to no work or off the job injury or whatever. Just pay double or triple or whatever until you are paid up.

Yeah that definitely can't happen if you are in active status in the union. If you miss a week then you should just have a debit on your account and the next week you have work you pay for the missed week(s). You absolutely should not go without insurance because you missed a week whether due to no work or off the job injury or whatever. Just pay double or triple or whatever until you are paid up.
It used to be only one punch per month and you was covered

TennCare has plenty of money and they can afford to make a payment on your behalf during extenuating circumstances

AMC79

The problem with todays package driver, the younger generation is they love PVD’s. Why? Anything to make their life easier. They don’t look at the big picture. I left package for feeders right before PVD’s we’re a thing. I would’ve lost my mind had I been directed to give work to some clown driving a Prius. I would’ve rather worked till 10pm every night and bury them in 9.5 grievances then give one stop to a PVD.
That's sounds like a you problem, not a company problem or a PVD problem.

AMC79

I understand what drivers do, I worked as a helper for 6 peaks before a driver friend convinced me to come to the dark side.
It's a BS job, but I do it and do it well. I'm old, and I take pride in what I do.
But, I've been working full time hours since I started. At the very least I should be accruing a ft pension.
Is it voluntary or are you being forced to work double PT shifts? No PTer should be forced to work full time hours. If the company wants them to work FT then they need to change their classification.

AMC79

But you're forgetting the cost of the benefit package, it's a lot more than $20 an hour
Maybe give PTers an option to opt out of insurance. The company then gives the worker a bonus equal to what they would have spent on the insurance. A lot of PTers are under their parents HI and a lot of other PTers make so little they can get free coverage on the ACA so the insurance is a waste for the company and the employee. Some do want it so don't get rid of it but make it an option, insurance or bonus. You could do 'pension or bonus' as well for those who know they won't be staying long term.

Maybe give PTers an option to opt out of insurance. The company then gives the worker a bonus equal to what they would have spent on the insurance. A lot of PTers are under their parents HI and a lot of other PTers make so little they can get free coverage on the ACA so the insurance is a waste for the company and the employee. Some do want it so don't get rid of it but make it an option, insurance or bonus. You could do 'pension or bonus' as well for those who know they won't be staying long term.
That will never happen.
The union is in charge of team care and they're not going to let that money go away