2023 contract

Its_a_me

Maybe give PTers an option to opt out of insurance. The company then gives the worker a bonus equal to what they would have spent on the insurance. A lot of PTers are under their parents HI and a lot of other PTers make so little they can get free coverage on the ACA so the insurance is a waste for the company and the employee. Some do want it so don't get rid of it but make it an option, insurance or bonus. You could do 'pension or bonus' as well for those who know they won't be staying long term.
Congrats you just fell for Mgmt 101 way to break a union. It's called divide and conquer.

Now management knows who to target for disipline as they cost the company more--because you really didn't think mgmt was going to pay at 100% rates on those bonus instead of benefits/pensions did you?

Next they can go into CBA contract negotiations and say to the union more than 50% took the bonus and the bonus costs "X dollars" while the benefits cost "X+ 10 dollars." We are going to lower benefits by $8 an hour and give $0.50 more in bonus to more than 50% of your membership. More than 50% see this as a raise so it will be approved.

So as a mgr I've lowered my overall cost and got a majority voting for a bonus raise at the expense of older employees that can't be on their parents insurance. Which in turn will force some turnover on expensive labor rates as they seek employment with medical coverage elsewhere--which lowers my cost even more and allows me to walk over the newer employees.

So really brilliant idea there.

AMC79

SMH.

Everyone blindly acting like this is official.
It's Teamsters united.

If the Teamsters propose that, we'll end up striking.

$30/hr top rate for part timers after 4 years, 4 hour guarantee and OT after 4. Pipe dream. Never going to happen.
That doesn't seem to crazy. Maybe $25 or 28 for top rate instead but otherwise pretty reasonable if drivers are making well into the 40's/hr.

AMC79

Version 2 of the pt pay rate would bring in some serious dough for people.

$20 base rate plus 75 cents per year a service. $35/hour for a 20 year part timer. Im guessing a 20 year pter might be around $28 or so now?
My moral would be as low as it can get if I was doing the same work as the person next to me but I was getting $20.75/hr while they were getting $35. No reason for that big of a gap. Have a 3 year progression to top pay. First year is a probation/rookie wage then you go up several dollars an hour the second year and top out at the third.
Yeah..it's looks pretty official but it's not.

The pension going from $3900 to $6500 seems like a strech.
That would be obserd and will not happen without giving up a lot of things that should not be given up.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I see nothing wrong with part time driver jobs with equal pay to full time. PT would work Saturday and Sunday and fill in for vacations as needed. Not many FTers want 6th and even 7th punches so why is it such a problem. Get rid of 22.4 and have all FT drivers be M-friend RPCDs. PTers do weekends and vacation coverage. Simple.

Due to the strike in '97, a lot of guys get misty-eyed just hearing the term "part-time driver".

AMC79

If people only understood how good that healthcare is and what it could do for you in case of some sort of tragedy they would not be so quick to dismiss this job and the opportunity it provides. I can promise you it is literally worth millions if something bad happens.
If they didn't get insurance from UPS they would get a very low cost plan from the ACA due to subsidies since their pay is so low. In some cases they may even be on Medicaid and have free health care.

Thebrownblob

If they didn't get insurance from UPS they would get a very low cost plan from the ACA due to subsidies since their pay is so low. In some cases they may even be on Medicaid and have free health care.
And their care would be crap, The insurance you have is as good as gold. UPS does not “give” it to you the union negotiates it.

Yolo

Maybe give PTers an option to opt out of insurance. The company then gives the worker a bonus equal to what they would have spent on the insurance. A lot of PTers are under their parents HI and a lot of other PTers make so little they can get free coverage on the ACA so the insurance is a waste for the company and the employee. Some do want it so don't get rid of it but make it an option, insurance or bonus. You could do 'pension or bonus' as well for those who know they won't be staying long term.

No. Why in God's green Earth should a Teamster choose between fair pay and benefits?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The contract before this one, Saturday air was handled by part time Saturday air drivers. I did that for several years before I went full-time.

It's still handled by part-time air drivers in my building. The conversation is about how to deal with weekend ground work, so I was talking about part time ground drivers.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If people only understood how good that healthcare is and what it could do for you in case of some sort of tragedy they would not be so quick to dismiss this job and the opportunity it provides. I can promise you it is literally worth millions if something bad happens.

That's like saying I'd get paid enough, assuming I won the lottery. In this case, you actually need something bad to happen to you in order for it to pay out. What's really happening is that we're agreeing to give up control over a decent chunk of our compensation for a little peace of mind. I can have peace of mind for free, give me my insurance money and I'll decide how best to spend it. Which would not include directly subsidizing the medical and pharma industries, which are actively trying to kill us.

Yolo

Maybe we could have like say a combo position. They would preload Tuesdays thru Friday. And then drive on Saturday. And occasionally during the week if needed. We could call it 22.4 or something.

Thebrownblob

That's like saying I'd get paid enough, assuming I won the lottery. In this case, you actually need something bad to happen to you in order for it to pay out. What's really happening is that we're agreeing to give up control over a decent chunk of our compensation for a little peace of mind. I can have peace of mind for free, give me my insurance money and I'll decide how best to spend it. Which would not include directly subsidizing the medical and pharma industries, which are actively trying to kill us.
Trust me I have half $1 million worth of medical bills and a person who was just a part-time employee And and most likely at least that much more to come.

If they would’ve had Medicare or an ACA they would not have had some of that top hospitals and rehab facilities in the nation willing to except them with open arms because our insurance is so stellar. As a matter fact they would’ve been denied entry to many of them as they do not accept either medicare.

It’s literally life-saving.
And it’s only going to cost a couple thousand dollars out-of-pocket.

AMC79

No. Why in God's green Earth should a Teamster choose between fair pay and benefits?
Because they are PT and treated as second class and pay is more important. If they can get $20/hr starting with at least $25 top AND no loss in benefits then great but I think FT drivers would have to give up something for that and I don't think very many are willing to do that. We will see.

nWo

If we take part timers off of the insurance plan then the cost to insure full-timers would increase. The cost to insure an obese trucker that has been chain smoking for 30 years is significantly higher than the cost to insure a 19 year old stud.