22.3 Employment Update

Red Dawn

srry artcile 40 hits a nerve with us..any time ups doesn't have a case they try to hides behind article 40...long week of mgn total disregard of language of contract..replacing combo w/ 2 pters...6 different bid list..on rebid pters going package form our hub to other when laying off ours..taking our pay and hrs form us..made to pick on the spot or be paced on bid..no time to inform families..ie saying he's not going to restart bid every time new list of pt jobs comes up..not our fault that we have to inform them of what job are available. and still fight on some of those.."none union jobs that union employees are and have been doing" labor manger at start of this keep refusing to read part of contract that say in a lay off we can displace any 2 pt jr employee..ect ect ect. 700pt jobs 118 combos big hub with lots of jobs an hrs. Its clear as can be..reclassify us as article 40 take pay hrs and later they will take one of the split shifts..and that will be the end of every having ft jobs other than package. ps i did ask if we could go back to pt. was treated a lot better and got a lot more hrs w/o any problems..they said no. have copies and keeps a daily log of all this..i wish it wasn't true..i can understand lay off just not replacement

bellesmom

Golly gee, interesting how this tidbit was put out there a few days before a scheduled Union meeting. Coincidence? think not.

I'mTheMan

I think UPS is playing a very deadly game with the local over at DFW right now since the local is being blown off by this number 250 and also another 250 for some reason. Here in Seattle, the volume are picking up on such next day, 2 day and 3 day due to close of DHL business for Seattle. One more week then DHL is gone so we should seek more volume pick up. Also next friday, we will see a vote count and most of our workers will be over at the union hall to oversees the ballot and see what can go from there. Hopefully we'll see what the outcome is.

Red Dawn

I think UPS is playing a very deadly game with the local over at DFW right now since the local is being blown off by this number 250 and also another 250 for some reason. Here in Seattle, the volume are picking up on such next day, 2 day and 3 day due to close of DHL business for Seattle. One more week then DHL is gone so we should seek more volume pick up. Also next Friday, we will see a vote count and most of our workers will be over at the union hall to oversees the ballot and see what can go from there. Hopefully we'll see what the outcome is.

saw that on the news..think they are getting that number from the current amount of employees on night sort. hub/ramp. day hub has been on a hire freeze anticipation of night workers going to day. they need help. part timers just found out the other day that they will have to bid once the full times list is done. they have a list bid list to replace the combo workers on eam (8am Comte packages) they need about 20. the funny thing is they are just now seeing the light. the new drivers are not going to do what we did. our manager is trying to get us to still come in on sat. for him. we already have lates on sat. i took of a sat in Nov. they sent out 2 drivers to split my area. one witch used to do south side. by end of day they sent out 5 other drivers to help them to keep from having lates..lol same thing during week. our manager is also trying to find a way to pull us from jobs that we forced to take and let us drive. I guess with management jobs about to start getting cut i guess he doesn't want to have to answer for all the lates and extra time lost. oh and they are going to let part timers skip road test!! i guess safety isn't first.

get thoughs sales lead!! u get form from any center!! u can get credit for it. can also keep track of it on upsers.com.. it's made a difference in our vol.!! i m going to our union meeting tomorrow to keep the heat on..i know they know, but want to make sure they know how we feel and that we are all watching. lol will except lay offs..not replacement! can't wait to hear you out come..friend of mine was planning to transfer up there this summer. (part timer) never quit

I'mTheMan

The ballot is being counted today! Lets hope everyone decided to vote yes! I can't wait to be able to double at a time other than peak again.

Yeah I was there at the Local for about 4 hrs. So then had to leave due to parking problems at the Hub so couldn't get a 1st and 2nd final ballot count that I wanted to hear. I'm disappointed how it was handled though. I didn't feel appreciate it that the whole process were very very slow getting to the right numbers. At work, a shop steward informed me that the local contacted all shop steward and telling them that the 2nd ballot recount were finished by dark and told that the "YES" is passed with 80% of the vote. Therefore, we should hear the exact confirmation on monday for sure that everything is set and is scheduled to get our job back to full time status on February 20th or March 1st which comes first by seniority this year with a return of the full time benefits, no back pay! However, for a minute there, I thought my life would've gone to hell again if we didn't pass this. Plus I still have a strong feeling that if we go back to full time, then the management might put us layoff again and put us back to part time. I don't like the idea how the games is being played out by the managements. It's going to hurt a lot more than it really is once again.

I'mTheMan

That's is what the scariest part is as going through hard time as being worse before getting thru better times. It's going to be very difficult getting it back together the way it was before and getting our economy back to way it was too.

Dark_Team_135

Any new from the National Committee last week? There were a number of cases regarding Article 22.3 employees.

I also read about Local 174 members having to vote to give UPS back a million dollar arbitration award to bribe UPS into returning 160 of the original 200 Combo jobs that the Local had in their jurisdiction before UPS got rid of them. Is that the Local you are in and the vote you were referring to "I'mTheMan"?

Last edited:

some1else

Banned
wow that deal looks like; vote to steal money contractually owed topart-timers, and in exchange give back some FT jobs?

even if they vote it up i cant imagine an agreement like that holding up

Red Dawn

I did got an e-mail from them about the conference call but I don't know if it will work on my computer. I rather have it posted the news on it's website of knowing what their news is instead of having using it as a conference call.

I agree, but i think its so we all can talk to one another about what's going on in our own local. Not just a recording.