22.3 Jobs

How Important Are Full-Time Inside Jobs ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

705red

Browncafe Steward
Do you know an approximate # offhand how many 22.3 jobs there are?

Sleeve I do not know the amount of jobs currently filled under the National contract. I know in 705 we have 1100 jobs and we are about 50 short the last time I heard. 710 also has seperate 22.3 jobs from the national and i would have to guess and say they have at least 500, so we are looking at about 11,600 22.3 jobs in the US.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve I do not know the amount of jobs currently filled under the National contract. I know in 705 we have 1100 jobs and we are about 50 short the last time I heard. 710 also has seperate 22.3 jobs from the national and i would have to guess and say they have at least 500, so we are looking at about 11,600 22.3 jobs in the US.
Does anyone know?

How many FT 22.3 jobs did this contract and the previous two guarantee?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Even though there was a limited response to the poll....

I will give up a few things....

804 people want to brag about Ron Carey....

"Part-time America won't work"

Now we know.... that 22.3 people.... don't want to work.

With an average turn-over rate for part-timers in the 80% range....

Most Locals want part-timers....

Ask your local leadership why....

-Bug-

packageguy

-Bug-

That's no secret, 22.3 jobs never worked from day one, same as full time helpers on truck. We had 3 now all gone. The problem with 22.3 jobs every time there's a problem union fights for them the only words you hear is " It's a grey area". I'm a full time driver for 18 years, beleive me I see 22.3 fighting who is going to do less work today. They should stick together it might help.

bellesmom

-Bug-

Is that it? I dont' know where the 22. 3 reputation of not working is coming from because everyone in our building worked every day, all the hours they were supposed to, overtime if given the opportunity. Why would Locals want part-timers when fulltimers pay more in dues? The majority of part-timers in our building are not Union members so no dues from them. It all still smells from some sort of back room deal since we know UPS has never wanted fulltime jobs that aren't package and feeder. Our bodies can only hold up for so long doing manual labor. Retirement age keeps getting pushed back further so everyone else might want to start helping the 22.3s because you too will be older and hunched over someday from the work.

I'm sick of 22.3s being thought of as castaways by UPS, the Union and evidently some of our co-workers. Us today..the rest of you tomorrow.

Dark_Team_135

I'm guessing one reason that the Locals like part-timers is (at least in the non-Right to Work for Less States) because of the massive turnover, there are a lot of initiation fees coming in with all of the new members recycling each month.

As far as the dues goes, the 22.3s may pay more, but for every 22.3 employee, you could have two part-time employees paying dues along with the aforementioned initiation fees... No excuse for the Locals to not represent the 22.3s to the best of their abilities obviously.

When it comes to "Now we know.... that 22.3 people.... don't want to work" the only thing I can think of that he might be talking about is that many of our 22.3s will take less than 8 hours if given the choice, every day... On the other hand, here in Indy at least, combo employees are not allowed to work ANY over-time at all unless there is some sort of mini emergency. Part-timers of course are allowed to work nearly all they want to.

I believe this is being done in preparation for contract negotiations to show there isn't a need for additional 22.3s. In fact, since so many don't work their 8 hours, the company will try to use this to not replace the ones that are missing (of the 20,000+ total we should have contractually) and to likely propose to not replace any existing 22.3 jobs when they are lost through attrition during the next contract term...Just my 2 cents.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I posted years ago (literally 3-4 years ago) why 22.3s would be gone.

Ironically both UPS and the union want more turnover it would seem. UPS because it keeps costs low(er) and etc...; the Union because it brings more initiation fees, more dues money and also lessens the hit to the pension fund in the future.

Part-time America works for UPS and the Teamsters.

mamirk69

None of these answers make any sense as to the union wanting the 22.3's to be part time because it does not work economically. As one poster stated there will be dues increased. Yes there may be initiation fees in union states but I do believe there are more right to work states than they are closed shops. As I stated before the propaganda of Hoffa has started with his non obligation to filling the 22.3 jobs. At the end of the day 22.3 jobs keep the cycle going in increasing full time employees with better wages and pensions. The COMPANY wants part time employees because they were raped in this last contract especially the new hires. No health insurance for a year and no holiday pay I do believe the company is saving a fortune. If a part timer remains part time for 30 years at UPS good luck on retiring unless he or she have a serious invested hedge fund. This is the reason why Hoffa will hit the streets because if Hoffa make a statement like this to the overall UPS group they will have his head so if you Hoffa supporters believe in this good luck.

TheKid

I would take some of the 22.3 workers over some of the FT drivers I have to deal with everyday. Forget some . . . make it most. 22.3 guys (or girls) in our building do everything asked of them and more.

bellesmom

I would take some of the 22.3 workers over some of the FT drivers I have to deal with everyday. Forget some . . . make it most. 22.3 guys (or girls) in our building do everything asked of them and more.

Thank you for saying the 22.3s work in your building! I know in our building even though we have suffered through 2 1/2 years of split shifts our work ethic is far better than the ones they want to replace us with. Our management actually acknowledges the fact so don't know where this "slacker" reputation is coming from other than propaganda.

Brown to Brown

slacker? I don't think so. 22.3's pull their weight. What was a great proposal and idea is totally off track. There is noooooo way we should be singled out as a classification. Hoffa and Hall is asking for our vote but then again turned their back on me and my family. My Business Agent is frustrated and I am not blaming our local as this should be an International issue as was the first one along with the fulltime jobs arbitration. still to this day, i don't know how grievances that went to the national grievance panel get sent back to the local unions to handle when is all started out at the international and corporate ups level.?. It still doesn't make since to me. except that they don't want to deal with it!!! We are hard workers and good union members.