22.3 Jobs

How Important Are Full-Time Inside Jobs ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brett636

Coming from 4 years of being 22.3 myself I will agree that most are hard workers who do the job they are supposed to, and in many cases can outperform part timers doing the same work. There are always exceptions, and I've worked with a few who wouldn't lift a finger to help themselves let alone anyone else.

As far as the future of 22.3 jobs my concern is that they are only being kept around to be used as a bargaining chip incase contract negotiations aren't going so well. Lets face it, the current union leadership doesn't give two flips about 22.3 jobs partly because the overall numbers aren't there for votes, and partly because they fall into a lot of grey areas of the contract that they just don't want to put in the effort to fight for. I know of some 22.3s that think they can retire as one, but my bet is that won't be possible. The ones who see the writing on the wall are getting out while they can in my building, others will just play the odds and hope it works out for the best. All I can say is I wish them luck.

bellesmom

Coming from 4 years of being 22.3 myself I will agree that most are hard workers who do the job they are supposed to, and in many cases can outperform part timers doing the same work. There are always exceptions, and I've worked with a few who wouldn't lift a finger to help themselves let alone anyone else.

As far as the future of 22.3 jobs my concern is that they are only being kept around to be used as a bargaining chip incase contract negotiations aren't going so well. Lets face it, the current union leadership doesn't give two flips about 22.3 jobs partly because the overall numbers aren't there for votes, and partly because they fall into a lot of grey areas of the contract that they just don't want to put in the effort to fight for. I know of some 22.3s that think they can retire as one, but my bet is that won't be possible. The ones who see the writing on the wall are getting out while they can in my building, others will just play the odds and hope it works out for the best. All I can say is I wish them luck.

You are probably correct in your statement and wish there were other options in my case. I'm mid 50's with multiple surgeries from the work. Part-time is not enough to survive on when my paycheck is the only income. It's just incredible to even be thinking this way with a company profiting in the billions and CEO making millions!

I tell people what has happened to our 22.3 group and they're shocked always saying "I thought they were a great company to work for"..I say "yes, used to be", next question to me is "aren't you Union, how does that happen?" and my answer is "yes, amazing isn't it?" I'm trying to change both of their reputations one person at a time.

brett636

You are probably correct in your statement and wish there were other options in my case. I'm mid 50's with multiple surgeries from the work. Part-time is not enough to survive on when my paycheck is the only income. It's just incredible to even be thinking this way with a company profiting in the billions and CEO making millions!

I tell people what has happened to our 22.3 group and they're shocked always saying "I thought they were a great company to work for"..I say "yes, used to be", next question to me is "aren't you Union, how does that happen?" and my answer is "yes, amazing isn't it?" I'm trying to change both of their reputations one person at a time.

Its a sad case really because it was the union which fought for these jobs in the first place, and now its that same union that refuses to fight for these jobs and the people that hold them. I don't blame the 22.3 workers at all because they simply hold jobs that were offered to them. The union thought it was good idea, but have since realized that its better to have a constant flow of part timers paying initiation fees then quitting never using union resources than full timers who do use union resources to fight gray area fights that the union doesn't want to take on.

Brown to Brown

good to see you Belles Mom! It's sort of ironic what has happened to me in the last couple of months. I've actually started to trust my Business Agent as he is starting to share with me, how way over his head our issue is. There has to be a blessing from Hoffa or Hall to fix our problems. I'm thinking that we need those involved need to get petitions signed by 22.3's that say fix our issue and we will stand beside you. Until they hear us roar, we are insignificant. I have a template of a pledge of support for them if they pledge to support getting us back on track. It's election time, who knows what will happen?

yes 22.3 jobs are great for the company,and its employees ,1st u get better quality work out of combo people. the union messed up big time putting language in contract to do whatever they want with us depending on volume thats wrong now u dont want to back us up, shame on u. we pay u all combos will rally together along with are part-time and full-time brothers and sisters to save and create the jobs we went on strike for in 97 , so when will they create the rest ?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
good to see you Belles Mom! It's sort of ironic what has happened to me in the last couple of months. I've actually started to trust my Business Agent as he is starting to share with me, how way over his head our issue is. There has to be a blessing from Hoffa or Hall to fix our problems. I'm thinking that we need those involved need to get petitions signed by 22.3's that say fix our issue and we will stand beside you. Until they hear us roar, we are insignificant. I have a template of a pledge of support for them if they pledge to support getting us back on track. It's election time, who knows what will happen?

22.2 jobs for all. What a great union we have to allow this. Here is your part-time inside rate WAD for 40 hours when it should be bid as a top driver rate job. Along with my own 22.2 job, others are having air driving slashed so it is no longer a "combo" but with the lowest pay possible.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Im a package car driver and I have many friends and co owrkers who are 22.3's. Some are laid off and split shifting for 2 years now and it burns me teh worng way everyday. I have had back surgery and wont be able to do package car and its nice to know that if I cant I can bid a 22.3 to get my pension if needed. I have a friend whis a DQed DOT driver who went in to 22.3 so he could still provide for his family.

Im not giving up on these 22.3 jobs and I would be willing to stand on a picket line to protect these jobs. UPS is profiting Billions and we have people displaced and laid off. The Teamsters union is the most admired union around because of our militant practices. We need these practices to be put back in place. Hit the streets!!!!! Enough is enough!!!

22.34life

I asked a simple question--how do 22.3 jobs affect those of us who are pkg car drivers? The honest answer--they don't.
you cant see past the nose on your face can you,if the company can get away with something as bladent as getting rid of nearly 20,000 fulltime jobs what does that mean for you.upstate you are probably a 25 year of more guy in your 50s, you are everything that ups hates and would love to get rid of you.if the combos go the blood will be in the water,as technology improves like the new diads you will be more and more expendable.if the company was cutting out package car jobs it would concern me, it should concern all of us,a fulltime job is a fulltime job, if its being cut its wrong.you are a sellfish person and only concerned with YOUR job and YOURSELF.IN UNITY THERE IS STRENGH?

im glad to here a fulltime driver (brother) say that. it is pretty scary to think of who would stick up for us 22.3s ,we are a small group and need are brothers and sisters to back us, as we would them .. thank you ..

we need a rally or meeting for 22.3s parttime,fulltime, to discuss how we can push forward the security of are fulltime positions and the so called newones that need to be created . nows the time before its to late please help with suggestions before negotiations begin im in metro chicago .thank you 710

brown_trousers

sorry to ask such a dumb question... but what is a 22.3 job? I hear about it a whole lot on these forums but have no idea what it is. Is it different than a 22.2 job?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
sorry to ask such a dumb question... but what is a 22.3 job? I hear about it a whole lot on these forums but have no idea what it is. Is it different than a 22.2 job?

My definitions:
  • 22.2: A full time inside job with all time spent at one job classification. So 8 hrs a day/40 hrs a week as a sorter or 8/40 preloading or 8/40 clerking. My Local's contract still lists pay rates for them. Top pay would be Sorter, same rate as package car driver.
  • 22.3: A full time job created by combining 2 part time jobs. My understanding is it should be 1 'hard' job like sorting/loading, and 1 'soft' or 'easy' job like some form of clerking or auditing. I think 'air driving' and feeder shifting are considered soft/easy. Pay rate is less, but still pretty good IMO, and only 2 year progression (but can be confusing to calculate, with split or 'blended' rate language).

brown_trousers

My definitions:
  • 22.2: A full time inside job with all time spent at one job classification. So 8 hrs a day/40 hrs a week as a sorter or 8/40 preloading or 8/40 clerking. My Local's contract still lists pay rates for them. Top pay would be Sorter, same rate as package car driver.
  • 22.3: A full time job created by combining 2 part time jobs. My understanding is it should be 1 'hard' job like sorting/loading, and 1 'soft' or 'easy' job like some form of clerking or auditing. I think 'air driving' and feeder shifting are considered soft/easy. Pay rate is less, but still pretty good IMO, and only 2 year progression (but can be confusing to calculate, with split or 'blended' rate language).

cool. thanks for clarifying that for me.