22.3 Questions

HazMatMan

I have agree with the premis that all 22.3 inside jobs should be paid less than driving. The main reason I beleive this is due to the fact that you have more to worry about on the road as far as accidents, etc.

As far as being redcircled, could someone enlighten me on the language. As I understand it, if a partimer with 20 years is making roughly $23.00 per hour, he would be redcircled at his current rate until the top pay of the 22.3 classification exceeded his current rate. I understand the language to be that a part-timer can never loose his higher hourly rate by taking a full-time job. On the pther hand, if a drver changes classafiction to 22.3 he will immediately move down to the top rate, which I beleive now to be $21.50 per hour. Am I on the right page?

You got the first part right.. the other part still confuses ME.. Why on earth would a driver take a 22.3 job and take a 5 dollar an hour pay cut?? Why would anybody take a big pay cut like that??

brownrodster

Contrary to what you read or think, Art 22 jobs are not easy. They way it is set up is you have a hard job and a less physical one. When I signed up it was car wash first and then primary. Most of the jobs are set up that way. I gurantee you the company will not give away two easy jobs just out of spite.

That was me posting anonymously above.

The combo jobs in my center are uber easy. The only so called "hard jobs" in side are load feeder trailers and unload feeder trailers. Combo guys don't do this. Most combo guys are in smalls while inside and drive air for other half. some other ones do fueling then car wash. Other ones are clerk then car wash. easy easy easy easy.

Don't get me wrong. I like being a driver and do not have trouble with it physically. However, I'd rather do those easy inside jobs for 22$ an hour and only work 40 hours a week. Then I could go to school during the morning hours or whatever. to each his own.

brownrodster

You got the first part right.. the other part still confuses ME.. Why on earth would a driver take a 22.3 job and take a 5 dollar an hour pay cut?? Why would anybody take a big pay cut like that??

I would. I have no family and minimal bills. I could go to school in the morning / afternoon and or do all sorts of things that I have no time for now. I would much rather do air shuttle to clerk starting at 3 in the afternoon than get up early and work late. Much less stress inside. And still more money than I need. I don't mind being a driver, in fact I really like it. However, If I were combo inside I would have more time to do things that now I'm waiting until I retire to do. I expect to retire as a package driver and I not bitching about that. I just always thougth those air shuttle combo jobs were pretty cool and if the opportunity ever came up I'd go for one.

And to anyone who things 223 should get driver wage then become a driver! You'll understand really fast if you make your 30 days that is...

Last edited:

HazMatMan

I would. I have no family and minimal bills. I could go to school in the morning / afternoon and or do all sorts of things that I have no time for now. I would much rather do air shuttle to clerk starting at 3 in the afternoon than get up early and work late. Much less stress inside. And still more money than I need. I don't mind being a driver, in fact I really like it. However, If I were combo inside I would have more time to do things that now I'm waiting until I retire to do. I expect to retire as a package driver and I not bitching about that. I just always thougth those air shuttle combo jobs were pretty cool and if the opportunity ever came up I'd go for one.

And to anyone who things 223 should get driver wage then become a driver! You'll understand really fast if you make your 30 days that is...

People who make their 30 in 60 and become full-time preloaders get driver rate. Us 22.3 guys who are full-time inside don't...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My building has never had any 22.3 jobs. They have now placed a bid sheet up for more than 10 jobs. All jobs are inside-inside. No combo driving jobs. My question is who has the right to these jobs? We are being told that all full-time package and feeder have first bids on these jobs regardless of seniority over any part-timer. Meaning a full-timer with 1 year of seniority would outbid a part-timer with 20 years. Many in our building believed that since these jobs are the combination of 2 part-time jobs to make a full-time job that the part-timers would have first refusal in seniority order. Heck, is not all of ARTICLE 22 not considered part-time language?

On the other hand, many also thought that these jobs would be created for part-timers whocan not qualify for their DOT card, but physically able to preform the inside work.

Steeltoe,
This morning I asked my Center Manager about this. I noticed that the Bid List is down. He stated that the 22.3 jobs are bid strictly by company seniority, not full or part time job description. He said if a FTer took it, than another Fulltime job comes open for a PTer. I noticed that you have eighteen years in yourself. I don't know if you are personally interested in one, but if you are, you should have all the temporary cover drivers beat.:thumbup1:I haven't seen our BA around, I don't know if he is still in jail for crashing the APWA meeting the other night.:bored:( I'm sure Randy got him out).

705red

Browncafe Steward
Most likely because their bodies cant deliver anymore and they are just there to get enough pension credits.

705red

Browncafe Steward
My biggest arguement is why are 22.3 top rates lower than a regular full-time employee.. ???? I am 22.3 full-time INSIDE, no 4 hours inside, 4 hours outside. I put my name on the list when the jobs first became available, and 2 years later I got a full-time inside job..In the mean time, a part-timer who worked 30 full-time days in a 60 day period (for whatever reason) got to be full-time and now that same person's top rate right now is about $6.00 more per hour (where's the justice??) So I did things by the book, and he so called 'SNEAKS IN" because someone was not paying attention and I get screwed..And yes, I knew the consequences of taking a 22.3 job as far as pay rate. I did not want to go package driving...
Did they bid that fulltime inside job? Where you within your first year of your new 22.3 job is that why you didnt bid on it? If so i dont see how he sneaked in, more like real bad timing, i see it happen all the time.

O

Ohio upser

That is how it works in Ohio. friend/T have senority over P/T on these jobs. Doesn't seem fair.

outta hours

They just put two 22.3 jobs up here. 0300-1200 preload/customer counter. Me and another 25+ year driver bid them. We were 1 and 2 on the bid list. Now HR says we don't get them because 2 girls that work preload/driver helper will be awarded the bid. We were told that our fulltime seniority would allow us to win an afternoon 22.3 start because that is hub work. But the morning work is considered operations work and these 2 girls with 5 and 7 years company seniority have more "operations" seniority than we do. Of course everyone from the local is gone to the panel this week. But this sounds fishy to me. Any input from any of you?. Oh and also the previous post about drivers being crazy to take the pay cut for a 22.3 is way off base. Not everyone is over extended on their finances. For me I also have a landscape business that generates another 15-20k per year for me. With my afternoons off I know I could double that. And still have my insurance and a guarntee of 48K per year from UPS. Who's crazy now?:thumbup1: That is if I get the job

They just put two 22.3 jobs up here. 0300-1200 preload/customer counter. Me and another 25+ year driver bid them. We were 1 and 2 on the bid list. Now HR says we don't get them because 2 girls that work preload/driver helper will be awarded the bid. We were told that our fulltime seniority would allow us to win an afternoon 22.3 start because that is hub work. But the morning work is considered operations work and these 2 girls with 5 and 7 years company seniority have more "operations" seniority than we do. Of course everyone from the local is gone to the panel this week. But this sounds fishy to me. Any input from any of you?. Oh and also the previous post about drivers being crazy to take the pay cut for a 22.3 is way off base. Not everyone is over extended on their finances. For me I also have a landscape business that generates another 15-20k per year for me. With my afternoons off I know I could double that. And still have my insurance and a guarntee of 48K per year from UPS. Who's crazy now?:thumbup1: That is if I get the job

I would take an article 22 job if they weren't hard...Being around so many supervisors would kill me.:laugh: On route I'm on my own, I'm free.:laugh:

local804

Hazmatman,
Are we allowed to bid on art 22.3 routes after they are established? I heard no but I have an idea you might know. I am talking about our local and our local only.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Get with your stewart and file a seniority grievance within 30 days, i would file it asap. This way we can let the union fight this for you, we have a case similiar to yours it was for a ft porter job. The company refused to budge on it so now its in an arbitrators court.

HazMatMan

Hazmatman,
Are we allowed to bid on art 22.3 routes after they are established? I heard no but I have an idea you might know. I am talking about our local and our local only.

Local, if you are asking about a driver bidding into a 22.3 job in 804 jurisdiction, I have never seen or heard of it happening. I could find out and get back to you...

L690

Quick side note here.. in my center we've had 22.3 jobs for over 7yrs now. I was one of the first to take a day sort/afternoon air combo. Last month we were forced out of our jobs.. they put on call air-letter boxes and air shuttles back on the drivers, and we were forced to "bump" the last 5 combo workers who bid jobs back to part time..people who had these jobs for over a year are now back to part time pay.

HazMatMan

Ok Local, I asked a labor guy about a driver bidding into a 22.3 job, he said absolutely not, you can not bid down, only up (clerks etc...) Now listen people, that is in our (Local and I ) jurisdiction, it might be different in yours....

Overpaid Union Thug

There needs to be one definate article in the Master Agreement that applys to the whole country regarding 22.3 bidding. Our area just had all pending new 22.3 jobs put on hold for some reason. Supposedly it is region district or region wide but everyone knows how rumors are started at UPS. All jobs that were up for bid, including those that had already past the 10 day posting period, were put on hold for some reason. Including bids for new full-time drivers. I thought that maybe there is too much confusion going on about bidding procedures and that's why the 22.3 were stalled but the driving bids were stalled as well.

L690

At my center we have at least 2 drivers that have taken 22.3 jobs.. one is nightsort/ preload, the other is preload/ daysort clerk.