22.4 Combo Driver Bid: ADVICE NEEDED!

542thruNthru

Are you shop steward? You sound like one. This is why I'm telling OP to ignore you guys.
Nope not a shop steward. But I'm guessing one already told you this and you didn't like the answer so now you blame everyone for your problems.
I'm bitter because guys who started a few months after me have recently been converted to the same FT position I have. And they're making $12+ more an hour than me.
That's a contract issue not a local union issue. But hey they couldn't tell the future just like you so they must suck. SMH
I'm going around to everyone in my hub telling them "don't sign any 22.4 bid sheets". Why isn't the union do the same thing?
The union isn't telling people to do that because what happens when it backfires and they don't hire any TCDs for years. Now a member lost out on a 22.4 position because of stupid advice.

Take the opportunities that come to you. That's what the local union is telling people.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Are you shop steward? You sound like one. This is why I'm telling OP to ignore you guys.

I'm bitter because guys who started a few months after me have recently been converted to the same FT position I have. And they're making $12+ more an hour than me.

I'm going around to everyone in my hub telling them "don't sign any 22.4 bid sheets". Why isn't the union do the same thing?

You will still have them beat when it comes to routes, extra work, vacations, etc, for the rest of your life. Your steward gave you good advice you’re just being a BEEotch about it.

542thruNthru

You will still have them beat when it comes to routes, extra work, vacations, etc, for the rest of your life. Your steward gave you good advice you’re just being a BEEotch about it.
UntidyShallowAmericanbadger-max-1mb.gif

Nope not a shop steward. But I'm guessing one already told you this and you didn't like the answer so now you blame everyone for your problems.

That's a contract issue not a local union issue. But hey they couldn't tell the future just like you so they must suck. SMH

The union isn't telling people to do that because what happens when it backfires and they don't hire any TCDs for years. Now a member lost out on a 22.4 position because of stupid advice.

Take the opportunities that come to you. That's what the local union is telling people.
We had it happen here.
Maybe gumby doesn't know everything but I do know a few things

And then these young punks will listen to my advice and now they all got passed up and some of the people that they get the 22.4 jobs or now have an RPCD bid

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Newly Accepted 22.4 Driver

Howdy,

I signed the bid to become a 22.4 combo driver the week before Labor Day and was accepted the following week. After completing all the requirements (chauffer license, DOT physical, on road test) I was told by some Drivers that I would need to start learning my 5's and 10's.

I immediately put together a study guide and scoured any internet forums/YouTube videos for information about the job. A lot of videos were dated and some stuff I did find was a little vague.

I have issues with learning. I have to learn being hands on with a lot of repetitive information so that my brain can soak it in. I was great in school, but was easily bored. I want to take this position very seriously as I've been with the company now for 5 years and have learned everything on my sort from loading trucks, unloading, small sort, picking, internationals, and clerk work.

The only thing I've never done was Pre-Load which i know is a whole different beast, and driver helper. Of which now, I regret because some people have told me this is a good way to learn the operations of loading and understanding how the package cars get ready for delivery.

Now on to the point of this thread:

I haven't gone to intergrad yet. Aside from learning verbatim the 5's and 10's, what else should I know?

What am I learning about the package cars?
How am I preparing each load?
What is the best way to organize?
How should I prepare?
Is there any information from YOU as DRIVERS or PRE-LOADERS that is beneficial to making everyone's lives easier, in terms of organization, preparedness, awareness etc?
What are the delivery processes like?
How can I be honest about mistakes and :censored2:-ups?
What can I do to make sure I am explaining issues with Clerks and Supervisors?
How do I handle possible misloads, or mistakes when it's brought up by supervisors?
How do I handle supervisors if it seems like I'm being harassed or taken advantage of?
How do I handle customers (homes) or businesses?
What should I know about intergrad before even starting?
What should I be aware of when driving my package car?

If you've made it this far down, I appreciate the commitment and possible response. I understand that most of this stuff will probably be covered in training. I'm I'm trying to cover my basis every which way so I can study hard and memorize everything I'm supposed to.

This is my first career and only job I've ever taken seriously. I really do enjoy working here and when the bid sheet went up, I was first on the list to sign. I'm ready to do something different and make better changes for myself and financially.

If you had an easy time going through intergrad, I envy you. But I'm really looking for honest and helpful answers. Thanks in advance!
Get a note from your Dr. stating you have a learning disability
Could come in handy

DetBurblotski

Seinfeld gif, whatever dude. You know I'm not the only person in my hub pissed about this? I can't be the only one in the company either. The teamsters are doing a :censored2: job protecting drivers like me. I've never been in trouble, never filed a grievance. I only needed them to use their brains one time to protect me and they failed. And based on talking with people like you in this thread defending them... it must be because they don't have any brains.

I hope we go on strike one day so I can cross the picket line. This union sucks. (And I'm a generally pro-union guy by the way)

Seinfeld gif, whatever dude. You know I'm not the only person in my hub pissed about this? I can't be the only one in the company either. The teamsters are doing a :censored2: job protecting drivers like me. I've never been in trouble, never filed a grievance. I only needed them to use their brains one time to protect me and they failed. And based on talking with people like you in this thread defending them... it must be because they don't have any brains.

I hope we go on strike one day so I can cross the picket line. This union sucks. (And I'm a generally pro-union guy by the way)
@MyTripisCut
Do you hear this buddy?

542thruNthru

.I hope we go on strike one day so I can cross the picket line. This union sucks. (And I'm a generally pro-union guy by the way)
Sure you are kid.

Funny enough if we go on strike and layoffs happen all of a sudden you'll be praising the unions name because they told you to go FT first.

You're a child lol

Sure you are kid.

Funny enough if we go on strike and layoffs happen all of a sudden you'll be praising the unions name because they told you to go FT first.

You're a child lol
The psycho last contract when they change regression from 3 years to 4 some guys it was hard before the cutoff was making less than a new hires and they didn't like it.
But on the other hand they didn't want to hear they'll be getting top rate a year earlier..

DetBurblotski

Sure you are kid.

You're a child lol
If it happens in the next few years I'll probably get a raise actually. Also, if I had ignored the unions advice last year I'd be full time right now anyway so I don't know what would be different. (Edit, aside from like being 10 spots lower on a list with over 200 names on it...)