22.4 Combo Driver Bid: ADVICE NEEDED!

542thruNthru

10 spots! Not worth the $90000+ I'm going to lose!!!!
10 spots for the rest of your career! That's huge!

Here man... I'm done... Take one of these on your way out.

tumblr_ok2xd6sZZH1rfd7lko1_250.gif

I would ask around and see if anyone has come on as a Cover Driver (TCD) in the last 12 months. If management in your building is still hiring TCDs then I would hold out and see if a bid sheet comes up for that position. This is a whole thing in my hub. Management took on a bunch of us as 22.4s last year and told us that was the only option we had to drive for UPS. Union didn't say a thing and even a couple shop stewards echoed what management said (though, they will deny it now).

Long story short, a bunch of us went straight from preload to 22.4 and got stuck in the four year pay progression (which starts at $20.50/hr). Other drivers came on just a few months after us and they were TCDs making 85% of top rate (about $32/hr last year, now almost $34/hr). Those drivers are now being converted to 22.4 and being red circled in at the higher rate.

Ask around. See if management hired TCDs in the last 12 months. If they did they likely will when peak kicks into gear. You've already met the requirements to get into integrad they would definitely give you a shot.

DO NOT TRUST THE UNION. Ask your fellow UPSers about this.

As for how to pass integrad it seems like you're pretty serious about studying and getting good at the job so you'll probably be fine.
I appreciate the reply! Any bit of information helps.

If the union knows there's a possibility management will hire TCDs in the near future it is their job to warn us not to sign a 22.4 bid sheet. TCDs were coming on just 3 months after I started driving as a 22.4. NOBODY from the union warned me that might happen. I would have never signed the bid sheet if they did!

OP, print this thread out. Find people you trust who have been with UPS for a more than a while. Who are NOT affiliated with the union. Ask for their advice about this. Do not go from preload to 22.4 even if management and the union are telling you it's your only option.
Funny you mention this, because I was actually interested in being an Air Driver. I was being told by many drivers that a bid would be put up after the 22.4 bid. When I asked the driver Sup he basically told me I wouldn't have a chance as there were tons of seniority already anticipating the bid. When I asked our Steward, a very vague and almost dismissive response was given. I was THEN told that I couldn't bid on anything else unless I started as a 22.4 driver. The more I learn about this position, the less enthusiastic I am about it. Unfortunately, I'm motivated by the possibility of making more money. Now I'm not so sure if I made the right choice.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You're the guy who has enough time on their hands to spend a lot of it being negative on forums. I'm not a psychiatrist either, so...
Psychiatric work takes a lot of schoolin and tests...

Way harder than memorizing a couple 5s and 10s words.

I agree with you.

On topic and helping.

35years

Gravy route
Let's see, what will having seniority on those guys get you?

Later in your career you might win a gravy route like I did 20 years ago... moving 600 packages in an entire week.

The guy I beat out for the route because I had 1 month seniority on him....He had to continue on a heavy route moving 600 boxes a day. He ended up with permanent damage to his knees.

Thats just one example. 8 hour day requests granted vs denied, vacation weeks you need for family stuff, personal holidays you need off you get vs closed. Working M-Fri vs M-S etc. etc. etc. FOR THE REST OF YOUR CAREER. You have no idea what you are talking about because you have no experience.

By the way why didn't management let you know the other bids were coming? They knew it, not the union. You are blaming the wrong people.

Stop crying like a baby and blaming the union. In the long run you will not regret having seniority on those guys.

Last edited:

DetBurblotski

Funny you mention this, because I was actually interested in being an Air Driver. I was being told by many drivers that a bid would be put up after the 22.4 bid. When I asked the driver Sup he basically told me I wouldn't have a chance as there were tons of seniority already anticipating the bid. When I asked our Steward, a very vague and almost dismissive response was given. I was THEN told that I couldn't bid on anything else unless I started as a 22.4 driver. The more I learn about this position, the less enthusiastic I am about it. Unfortunately, I'm motivated by the possibility of making more money. Now I'm not so sure if I made the right choice.
Like I said, print this up, find people you know at your hub that you trust and ask for their advice. Every hub is different so I won't know what's going on in your's. But ask around, get different opinions. Don't just trust what the shop stewards are telling you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So they can be screwed out of 10s of thousands of dollars over 4 years.

How?? I'm only going to beat them to the RPCD list by 6-12 months??

OP, please... do not listen to these guys. Print this thread and talk to people you work with. People who aren't super into being teamsters.

That's why I told him to talk to people around his hub but don't trust the union.

Seinfeld gif, whatever dude. You know I'm not the only person in my hub pissed about this? I can't be the only one in the company either. The teamsters are doing a :censored2: job protecting drivers like me. I've never been in trouble, never filed a grievance. I only needed them to use their brains one time to protect me and they failed. And based on talking with people like you in this thread defending them... it must be because they don't have any brains.

I hope we go on strike one day so I can cross the picket line. This union sucks. (And I'm a generally pro-union guy by the way)

If it happens in the next few years I'll probably get a raise actually. Also, if I had ignored the unions advice last year I'd be full time right now anyway so I don't know what would be different. (Edit, aside from like being 10 spots lower on a list with over 200 names on it...)

And this is why anti-union sentiment is so high in my hub. Cuz of guys like you. Ten spots on a list of 200+ names is not worth the money I'm losing.

OP please don't listen to these guys.

Like I said, print this up, find people you know at your hub that you trust and ask for their advice. Every hub is different so I won't know what's going on in your's. But ask around, get different opinions. Don't just trust what the shop stewards are telling you.

2099C064-4C3E-4311-9B60-44370EB6CFC3.gif