22.4 layoffs

Bigd23

Today I was informed I’m getting “laid off”. I’m a 22.4 and they told me I have the option of working inside spit shifting or take a hard layoff. I’m fine working inside 4 days outta the week and drive Saturday but this building only has 2 shifts preload and night shift, which means I work at 4am till around 9am come home and come back for 6pm till probably around 10:30pm just to back home for a couple of hours and do it again. Is there any way I can work 8 consecutive hours. The union hasn’t really been much help. Another thing is it’s not like I live down the street, I live about 30 mins away. This is a new building and new local. I worked in RI under local 251 but 40+ routes got moved to a new building in Franklin and they told me Franklin is my best option so I decided to go since 80+ 22.4 for forced to back inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigd23

Sounds like that's the best you'll get. Though if you're really laid off you shouldn't be driving Saturdays.
From what I’ve been told we are “laid off” Tuesday-Friday and forced to work Saturday. So it’s not a hard layoff, So they offer us split shifts Tuesday through Friday to get our 8 a day to keep our full time benefits.

542thruNthru

From what I’ve been told we are “laid off” Tuesday-Friday and forced to work Saturday. So it’s not a hard layoff, So they offer us split shifts Tuesday through Friday to get our 8 a day to keep our full time benefits.
What supplemental are you under?

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
They are doing this because of the potential 22.4s that want to work filing grievances for their 8. That same thing is happening over here. Pandemic volume is down so there isn't enough work available. Of course the company would love if you guys came in every morning and walked but you can only play around for so long. Get what you can until you're back in the rotation.

Bigd23

They are doing this because of the potential 22.4s that want to work filing grievances for their 8. That same thing is happening over here. Pandemic volume is down so there isn't enough work available. Of course the company would love if you guys came in every morning and walked but you can only play around for so long. Get what you can until you're back in the rotation.
I’m still lucky to be full time just the spit shifts suck because my center doesn’t have shifts close in gap. I’m only here asking for advice from my union brothers and sisters and want to make sure ups isn’t screwing me over in the end.

Its_a_me

Where I am at: you can either do 1 shift (preload where they actually need people) with a guaranteed 3.5 hours or both shifts (pre- and re- loads) with a 8 hour guarantee.

They start preload here around 3ish am and finish reloading at 8:30ish. But at night they often dismiss 22.4's closer to 7:45pm if they don't want their guarantee. Since most of them choose to work 1 shift (preload) where they get approx 5 hours anyways and just lose the remaining 3 hours by not working reload.

But that is because management isn't held to making a set weekly schedule and the driver stewards are too scared (or too buddy buddy) to call them out--so they treat the drivers as just-in-time labor and let them know the night before at the earliest. Since there is no schedule they can't truly be penalized for not showing up. However, I've also seen them bump in and send lower seniority part-timers home who don't bother coming back to work afterwards--which ends up as totally counterproductive to management's goal of maintaining a viable work force.

Its_a_me

They are doing this to play games with workers during a contract year to scare you into taking any deal they throw at your feet. Volume is down--sure. But it's not like our building is full of TRUCKS (they are built on truck frames not car frames) at 5pm.

They don't want you to take a total layoff as then they will be forced to pay for an RCPD driver on Saturday and pay his 9.5 overage and pay his OT rate for the extra work being forced on them. So, they are trying to get you to work inside split shifts and being able to put you to work on the weekend.

My guess is you'll do it until vacation season starts in April--Easter is two weeks from Sunday--so I doubt it goes too long. Plus the bank failures are causing perception of economic slowing which is making gas prices fall which means people have a few more dollars in their wallets to spend--so I don't think it will be too long for you even without the vacation calendars.

Bigd23

I believe it's in the national that the maximum length between hub shifts for 22.4 is 1.5 hours, and that is supposed to be the lunch.
That is what I was trying to tell management and my new union steward but they said layoffs override that but at the same time it’s not a layoff because 22.4 is either inside Or driving which ever is needed. Obviously Tuesday-Friday is needed inside so therefore I should get 8 hours with an 1.5 break

Bigd23

They are doing this to play games with workers during a contract year to scare you into taking any deal they throw at your feet. Volume is down--sure. But it's not like our building is full of TRUCKS (they are built on truck frames not car frames) at 5pm.

They don't want you to take a total layoff as then they will be forced to pay for an RCPD driver on Saturday and pay his 9.5 overage and pay his OT rate for the extra work being forced on them. So, they are trying to get you to work inside split shifts and being able to put you to work on the weekend.

My guess is you'll do it until vacation season starts in April--Easter is two weeks from Sunday--so I doubt it goes too long. Plus the bank failures are causing perception of economic slowing which is making gas prices fall which means people have a few more dollars in their wallets to spend--so I don't think it will be too long for you even without the vacation calendars.
Thank you. I totally agree with you. It is what it is at the moment.

542thruNthru

That is what I was trying to tell management and my new union steward but they said layoffs override that but at the same time it’s not a layoff because 22.4 is either inside Or driving which ever is needed. Obviously Tuesday-Friday is needed inside so therefore I should get 8 hours with an 1.5 break
But... he is laid off.

Seriously why can't people understand this concept. I'm an RPCD but suddenly I'm laid off... but wait RPCD language says I should be driving 5 consecutive days at 8 hours a day... oh wait IM LAID OFF!!

his 22.4 language doesn't apply.

Though with that said I do agree if he is driving Saturdays he is still a 22.4 and should be treated as such. That's something his local should be addressing .