2nd job?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Try starting up your own house painting business, take on smaller houses that are owned by the elderly who can't afford siding!and tell them you work cheaper as long as they are flexible with the time the job will take!! that way you can get off at decent hour to get kids and get to UPS job on time !! good luck

curiousbrain

Use your brain; if you can afford it, get a technical (i.e. computer) trade - or, if you have the willpower, teach yourself. Then, look for contract-esque work.

I work my ass off at UPS; then, I go to my second job at which I sit for hours on end, using my brain. Every day, I'm tired (in a good way, usually) mentally and physically. It's good for you.

edit: I should point out that my second job is sitting at my desk, in my house, in my slippers, drinking a beer or two. That's the way to do it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Full time slacker.

I've been looking for something the last 6 months but I'm nowhere near desperate enough to work for minimum wage - I only have to support myself (no wife and kids) but I'm on a shoe-string budget and want to start blasting howitzer-sized holes in my student loans. The job market in my area is atrocious; while going through classifieds yesterday, I found a $7.25/hr gig sorting through trash (WTF?) and another $8.50/hr production line job that required the applicant to be bilingual.. I'm not using my Spanish skills for UPS starting pay.

Hows those union dies, I mean dues, helping you out now? * dances *

:hapydancsmil:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I know of many preloaders that run landscaping businesses .

Here, in Florida, theres a ton of guys working in landscaping jobs. They make huge money 6-8 months out of the year. Like 50k-75k a year cutting, edging, bagging and others. Its a cake job, lawn to lawn, it just adds up day to day.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Orly something is wrong with you. Every thread you bring up anti union rants.

I wouldnt bring it up, ever really. Your pro-union boys did it twice to me now without asking for it. I just though, this guy I quoted, who has been up my back side about not paying dues, and seeing him struggle, just made things for me super juicy. I had to bite on it.

I'll leave it alone if they choose to first. To me, its a non-issue. I'll drop it, for good, if they stop with the attacks on me for just posting. Its as simple as that.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hows those union dies, I mean dues, helping you out now? * dances *

:hapydancsmil:

Where did I say I was struggling?

I'm able to drop about 10% of my weekly pay into savings, pay all of my bills early or on time, and I can go out to dinner once a week. I was just wishing I could pay off more of the principal of my student loans and had more "play" money. I'm only looking for a second job to pad my savings and pay off my loans sooner.

All while paying union dues and 2% in 401k contributions a week.

****ing scab.

klein

Für Meno :)
Try Mosaic.com. Throw in your resume and see what happens. They are a sales/marketing/promotional company.
They have contracts with Budweiser, Kraft Foods, Proctor & Gamble, Diageo (owns Johnnie Walker, Sterling wines, Crown Royal, Guiness, Smirnoff, Captain Morgans and more).
Now is the busy season !
You might be working at fairs (giving away samples) or in retail stores, such as re-stocking cadbury chocolates, at outdoor concerts, race tracks, esspecially those sponsered by Budweiser or Smirnoff, or getting paid for being Captain Morgan or a Budgirl !

Once you enter your resume, you'll be notified of all kinds of p/t jobs in your area (if you choose that option).
Jobs are fun and easy. Not sure about the pay in America, but pays good in Canada.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Here, in Florida, theres a ton of guys working in landscaping jobs. They make huge money 6-8 months out of the year. Like 50k-75k a year cutting, edging, bagging and others. Its a cake job, lawn to lawn, it just adds up day to day.

orly, I hear you complain about your pay rate all the time. I don't think I've heard you complain about your insurance benefits or pension benefits yet.

Here's an idea for you: grow a pair, pay your dues and start your own landscape business! Make that 50-75 thousand a year (cash, if you want) and STFU!

klein

Für Meno :)
One of my cousins in Florida had his own landscaping buisness. He did very well for years, but the Hispanics have taken those jobs, undercut most others, including my cousin that he had to give it up.

Returntosender

orly, I hear you complain about your pay rate all the time. I don't think I've heard you complain about your insurance benefits or pension benefits yet.

Here's an idea for you: grow a pair, pay your dues and start your own landscape business! Make that 50-75 thousand a year (cash, if you want) and STFU!

Orly has a pair it's called undescended testicles!

Returntosender

I wouldnt bring it up, ever really. Your pro-union boys did it twice to me now without asking for it. I just though, this guy I quoted, who has been up my back side about not paying dues, and seeing him struggle, just made things for me super juicy. I had to bite on it.

I'll leave it alone if they choose to first. To me, its a non-issue. I'll drop it, for good, if they stop with the attacks on me for just posting. Its as simple as that.
WTF, see him struggle, Life is all about struggles.
You state you work at UPS for 3 to 5 hours a day and you're to tired to get another job. Someone has to be paying your bills? Parents. If you they are, what you going do when mom and dad aren't their anymore to bail you out? Join the Navy and fulfill your destiny to become a Navy Seal? Put in your letter to become a driver? Whatever you planning, time is not on your side, you will be young only for so long.

Last edited:
U

uber

Where did I say I was struggling?

I'm able to drop about 10% of my weekly pay into savings, pay all of my bills early or on time, and I can go out to dinner once a week. I was just wishing I could pay off more of the principal of my student loans and had more "play" money. I'm only looking for a second job to pad my savings and pay off my loans sooner.

All while paying union dues and 2% in 401k contributions a week.

****ing scab.

Whats 10% of nothing?

lol just kidding, it was too easy.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Since we were on this topic on a another thread, I've started to talk with a few regulars with high seniority. All of them have discontinued their dues. Just about all of them had the same reason as I do. It does my heart good to see old timers not be so RAWR RAWR like some of you in here. Talked with a 22.3 guy, he went out for about 8 months due to illness, thus he stopped paying dues. Then he came back, and swore if he could not to pay more dues, but they confronted him about it. I said, sounds like the union came to steal money from you, and he agreed.

I could get a 2nd job, but dangit, cant seem to bring the energy to do so.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Since we were on this topic on a another thread, I've started to talk with a few regulars with high seniority. All of them have discontinued their dues. Just about all of them had the same reason as I do. It does my heart good to see old timers not be so RAWR RAWR like some of you in here. Talked with a 22.3 guy, he went out for about 8 months due to illness, thus he stopped paying dues. Then he came back, and swore if he could not to pay more dues, but they confronted him about it. I said, sounds like the union came to steal money from you, and he agreed.

I could get a 2nd job, but dangit, cant seem to bring the energy to do so.

It was his responsibility to call the union hall and request that he be put on "sick dues."

Someone making $26+/hr with full benefits, a guaranteed 40-hour work week, and a defined pension plan not paying union dues is despicable.