3 day ride and my experience

959Nanook

hall and Hoffa are putting UPS on notice for all this unnecessary harassment....

Is this a joke? Even if they did put UPS on notice, why would it matter? On notice for what? In all seriousness, what can either of them do? Granted, I do not know $4!+ from Shinola so please inform me.

menotyou

bella amicizia
hall and Hoffa are putting UPS on notice for all this unnecessary harassment....
hall and Hoffa did NOTHING for me when I was being targeted. My BA actually told me filing a harassment grievance wouldn't do anything but make that supervisor look good. Who does he represent? I filed anyway. Got no results. Started calling 800#. Amazing what that does. Hall and Hoffa are fat, lazy bastards who need to remember what its like to load a truck. What its like to deliver, again. I would love to have a little chat with the FAT BASTARDS!!!!!

danlin

Is this a joke? Even if they did put UPS on notice, why would it matter? On notice for what? In all seriousness, what can either of them do? Granted, I do not know $4!+ from Shinola so please inform me.

Read your monthly Ups/Teamster mag......And please have a little faith.

danlin

hall and Hoffa did NOTHING for me when I was being targeted. My BA actually told me filing a harassment grievance wouldn't do anything but make that supervisor look good. Who does he represent? I filed anyway. Got no results. Started calling 800#. Amazing what that does. Hall and Hoffa are fat, lazy bastards who need to remember what its like to load a truck. What its like to deliver, again. I would love to have a little chat with the FAT BASTARDS!!!!!

You just demonstrated why UPS has targeted you...

UPS Lifer

Making an occasional mistake is not grounds for termination.

Failing to follow 100% of the methods 100% of the time is not grounds for termination either.

The reality is that, most of the time, the management people who are trying to hold us accountable to a high level of performance are totally incapable of performing at that level themselves. They do what they do because the cant do what we do.

And you do what you do because you can't do what they do. Can't is a pretty strong word. Most of the on-road management team came directly from your job and (even if they didn't), if they did it as long as you they would have similar skill level. I realize that some people have a hard time taking direction from others but each of us has a job to do and the key is to do it to the best of our ability. Just because it has been a long time since I drove does not mean I can't get on a car right now and point out methods infractions that could help you in the performance of your job. Some may not have your skill set but they do have a skill set to do their assigned job.

There is a reason why you don't want to go into management and a reason why those in management don't want to be a driver and it usually is not because you (or they) can't do the job it is because you (or they) want something different.

The biggest problem that I saw with 3 day rides before I left the company is that it the rides are done with the wrong intention. If a supervisor actually gets on the car for the right intention they might be able to make a difference!

Non-management vs management problems stem from lack of respect, lack of communication and wanting to win.

I will get off the soap box.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is basically what I was getting at, Sober. I do think most on-roads are pretty good and know what they are doing, at least the 10 to 15 or so I've worked with the past several years in different centers and buildings. Yes there are a few stragglers, but bad apples would be the better term rather than "most can't do what we do". Most can but prefer not.

959Nanook

Read your monthly Ups/Teamster mag......And please have a little faith.

I am glad you bring up the propaganda... I mean UPS TEAMSTER UPDATE. How ironic that that this is a two year old thread. Extrapolating on that a little, the same general atmosphere of harassing Teamsters persists in some parts of the company. Don't get me wrong, if a Teamster screws up, the company should be able to address it. Most of us know the difference between the company addressing a legitimate issue and the company harassing a driver just like most of us know the difference between a brother or sister that is pulling their load and one who is abusing the contract. Most of us know the difference between the company making improvements to operations and tweaking the operations to show improvement on the numbers of the quarter. Most of us know the difference between a driver that is getting a three-day ride along because they need it and one who is getting a three-day ride along because they are on the 9.5 list. There is nothing new about any of this as this necromanced two-year old thread demonstrates.

IBT elections are this year and it just so happens that the Director of the Teamsters Package Division is #2 on the incumbent IBT slate. That is something that you can have faith in when reading Teamsters Package Division mailers this year. No thanks, I don't care to drink that Kool-Aid... results (or lack thereof) speak louder than any mailer that hits my mailbox right before Convention.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have issues with dictators. Hall and Hoffa are treading the line. They have jobs to do and get paid VERY WELL for it. I don't see much work getting done.

Danlin- I have an opinion. You do not have to like it. You do have to respect my right to have one.

danlin

I am glad you bring up the propaganda... I mean UPS TEAMSTER UPDATE. How ironic that that this is a two year old thread. Extrapolating on that a little, the same general atmosphere of harassing Teamsters persists in some parts of the company. Don't get me wrong, if a Teamster screws up, the company should be able to address it. Most of us know the difference between the company addressing a legitimate issue and the company harassing a driver just like most of us know the difference between a brother or sister that is pulling their load and one who is abusing the contract. Most of us know the difference between the company making improvements to operations and tweaking the operations to show improvement on the numbers of the quarter. Most of us know the difference between a driver that is getting a three-day ride along because they need it and one who is getting a three-day ride along because they are on the 9.5 list. There is nothing new about any of this as this necromanced two-year old thread demonstrates.

IBT elections are this year and it just so happens that the Director of the Teamsters Package Division is #2 on the incumbent IBT slate. That is something that you can have faith in when reading Teamsters Package Division mailers this year. No thanks, I don't care to drink that Kool-Aid... results (or lack thereof) speak louder than any mailer that hits my mailbox right before Convention.

Well said....

hypocrisy

Banned
And you do what you do because you can't do what they do. Can't is a pretty strong word. Most of the on-road management team came directly from your job and (even if they didn't), if they did it as long as you they would have similar skill level.
This seems to be rarely true anymore, both in Package and Feeders(which is pretty scary). I know of one building where the on-road sups who were once package drivers are outnumbered 10/1 by those who came straight out of the hub. What's even funnier, is that the one that was a driver, and did it for more than 10 years, was overallowed on average by over an hour a day! (Yes there is proof) Feeder departments are getting even worse with friend/t sort supervisors 25 year old "kids" going to a 30 day "top gun" school then teaching others to drive tractor trailers. While the basics are good, they just don't have the on-road experience that can be imparted by someone that has done the job day in and day out for a meaningful length of time. This increases the lack of respect and animosity.

I realize that some people have a hard time taking direction from others but each of us has a job to do and the key is to do it to the best of our ability. Just because it has been a long time since I drove does not mean I can't get on a car right now and point out methods infractions that could help you in the performance of your job. Some may not have your skill set but they do have a skill set to do their assigned job.
In my personal observation, the methods are better than they've ever been. However, the workload has increased so much that there is no way these new guys are going to be able to make it to retirement age without their body giving out.

There is a reason why you don't want to go into management and a reason why those in management don't want to be a driver and it usually is not because you (or they) can't do the job it is because you (or they) want something different.
I watch for that day when they realize they can go no further. You can just see them walk in with 100lbs between their shoulder blades. We all live with our choices I guess.

The biggest problem that I saw with 3 day rides before I left the company is that it the rides are done with the wrong intention. If a supervisor actually gets on the car for the right intention they might be able to make a difference! True, but leadership isn't taught at UPS anymore unfortunately.

Non-management vs management problems stem from lack of respect, lack of communication and wanting to win.
Very true, and it's a game the current management taught us. Gone are the old style managers such as yourself. Reading your bio this struck me:
I recall delivering 285 stops one season. I averaged 110-115 during the normal course of the year. We did not have helpers back then. If you were lucky, another driver would stop by and help you finish delivering. During peak season (the last two weeks) my pick ups would be taken off of me. I would pick up over 400 packages a day with 45 pick ups.
You might be surprised to find that your old route probably averages 200+ stops per day and they consider that an 8.8hr plan. What was probably a more than fair days work in your day would now be considered slacking! It's just not right.

I will get off the soap box.