3 day ride and my experience

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Anything over thirty pounds? That doesnt sound like a good idea to me, I would never get done...I thought it should be like 50.

whiskey

Anything over thirty pounds? That doesnt sound like a good idea to me, I would never get done...I thought it should be like 50.

I still think nothing of throwing a 150 pound package onto my right shoulder and running up a flight of stairs. But during a ride, yes, I would take my time with the hand truck.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The problem is then they find something that your not doing 100% of the time then give you a warning letter for it. It's a big distraction when someone is with you for all day looking for an issue or two and we all know that nobody is perfect. Then that warning letter turns into progressive discipline...it can be as easy as forgetting your next couple stops or not grabbing the packages by opposite corners...hell....there are so many methods, nobody does all of them all the time...unfortunately "doing your best " doesn't mean squat with these guys.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The problem is then they find something that your not doing 100% of the time then give you a warning letter for it. It's a big distraction when someone is with you for all day looking for an issue or two and we all know that nobody is perfect. Then that warning letter turns into progressive discipline...it can be as easy as forgetting your next couple stops or not grabbing the packages by opposite corners...hell....there are so many methods, nobody does all of them all the time...unfortunately "doing your best " doesn't mean squat with these guys.

Making an occasional mistake is not grounds for termination.

Failing to follow 100% of the methods 100% of the time is not grounds for termination either.

The reality is that, most of the time, the management people who are trying to hold us accountable to a high level of performance are totally incapable of performing at that level themselves. They do what they do because the cant do what we do.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Failing to follow 100% of the methods 100% of the time is not grounds for termination either.

The reality is that, most of the time, the management people who are trying to hold us accountable to a high level of

performance are totally incapable of performing at that level themselves. They do what they do because the cant

do what we do.

I agree sober but that wouldn't stop them from trying and stressing people out even more...they know having a rider stresses most drivers out. Remember something that you and I might not thing of as a mistake mgt might.

soberups

I agree sober but that wouldn't stop them from trying and stressing people out even more...they know having a rider stresses most drivers out. Remember something that you and I might not thing of as a mistake mgt might.

A person gets "stressed out" by an OJS because on a certain level they fear the authority of the supervisor.

When you make the fear go away, the stress goes away also.

Knowledge is the power that can make that fear go away. Knowledge of the methods, knowledge of the contract, knowledge of your rights and responsibilities as an employee.....and knowledge that the person sitting there in the jumpseat with the clipboard is totally incapable of living up to the expectations that he is trying to place upon you.

I have had countless OJS's in my 23 years. None of them ever mattered, and none of them ever changed anything. During an OJS, the supervisor is required to find a minimum of 6 items that "need improvement" on each page of his checklist. If he cant find 6 things, he will simply make them up. So if the driver is truly doing his job correctly and to the best of his ability, there is no point in worrying about whatever might get scribbled on that clipboard. The OJS is usually nothing more than an excercise in job justification for the sup who is performing it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

The reality is that, most of the time, the management people who are trying to hold us accountable to a high level of performance are totally incapable of performing at that level themselves. They do what they do because the cant do what we do.

I do not think that is completely fair. We have a few on-cars in our building, one in our center, that is very capable as a driver - infact he drove for over 10 years and apparently was/is one of the better ones (according to other drivers).

Overall, I agree though - the sups cannot do what THEY ASK US TO DO. That's a little different than doing what WE do. I think some are capable and some are full of bs.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I still think nothing of throwing a 150 pound package onto my right shoulder and running up a flight of stairs. But during a ride, yes, I would take my time with the hand truck.

During a OJS ride I would make them send me another teamster to help on an over 70, hand truck or not.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Your neck and back will hate you in a few years. God forbid you get hurt while working unsafe, too. Good luck to you.
Comp sucks.

soberups

I do not think that is completely fair. We have a few on-cars in our building, one in our center, that is very capable as a driver - infact he drove for over 10 years and apparently was/is one of the better ones (according to other drivers).

Overall, I agree though - the sups cannot do what THEY ASK US TO DO. That's a little different than doing what WE do. I think some are capable and some are full of bs.

And that is why I qualified my statement with the phrase "most of the time".

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I have had countless OJS's in my 23 years. None of them ever mattered, and none of them ever changed anything. During an OJS, the supervisor is required to find a minimum of 6 items that "need improvement" on each page of his checklist. If he cant find 6 things, he will simply make them up.[/QUOTE]

100% true. On my most recent OJS in January, I was flagged for "not properly hydrating". My sup. looked me in the eye, told me I did a great job, but that she had to find something wrong with me otherwise she'd get in trouble for not doing her job. I spent the better part of the next 2 hours trying to decide if she was serious or not.

danlin

So, you run over allowed, your sup rides with you, tells you that you are driving too slow, and you refuse to listen. Where I'm at, you're gone, failure to follow methods plus failure to work as directed. You are not paid to think, you are paid to give a fair days work for a fair days pay, and it's obvious on this methods ride you decided to try to find ways to slow down to justify you piss poor performance. Guess what? We pay you the high wages to perform at a high rate of speed. Don't like it? Be a man and quit, instead of stealing a paycheck from the company.

Wow so many things wrong here... What is this over allowed you speak of? Last I checked it was a fair days work for a fair days pay and who is this" WE" that pays a high wage? As I remember our hourly wage was negotiated between two parties engaged in collective bargaining.

bigblu 2 you

Wow so many things wrong here... What is this over allowed you speak of? Last I checked it was a fair days work for a fair days pay and who is this" WE" that pays a high wage? As I remember our hourly wage was negotiated between two parties engaged in collective bargaining.
and where is "high rate of speed" you speak of in the contract book?you can also tell a employee to speed up and you will be responsible for accidents and injuries that might result in this high rate of speed.....what a joke.

Re-Raise

A person gets "stressed out" by an OJS because on a certain level they fear the authority of the supervisor.

When you make the fear go away, the stress goes away also.

Knowledge is the power that can make that fear go away. Knowledge of the methods, knowledge of the contract, knowledge of your rights and responsibilities as an employee.....and knowledge that the person sitting there in the jumpseat with the clipboard is totally incapable of living up to the expectations that he is trying to place upon you.

I have had countless OJS's in my 23 years. None of them ever mattered, and none of them ever changed anything. During an OJS, the supervisor is required to find a minimum of 6 items that "need improvement" on each page of his checklist. If he cant find 6 things, he will simply make them up. So if the driver is truly doing his job correctly and to the best of his ability, there is no point in worrying about whatever might get scribbled on that clipboard. The OJS is usually nothing more than an excercise in job justification for the sup who is performing it.

Sober I love your posts.

I am a 25 yr plus UPS driver that has no problem standing up to management or anyone else for that matter and you are becoming my Browncafe hero. Every center needs a Soberups to help the younger guys who are scared stupid.

WWSD ..... What Would Sober Do?