3 day ride

Channahon

Everyone who is an hour or more over in our center is getting a 3 day ride. (about 20 drivers out of 60 since the time standard gremlin has played games) I had the first day of my 3 day ride on Friday and could use some tips to get thru this. My load was extremly light and no misloads or splits that were mixed together. I have been on this route for over a year and this is the first time I have not had a misload or a 16 mixed in with 17s or vice versa. Any help; even if it seems obvious would be appreciated.

Thanks
Browned out

Did your center just go on PAS?

browned out

Thanks for all the advice.

It is supposed to rain Monday. I am used to dealing with it. I am sure my rider will love it. I will go in early Mon and Tues and check what is going on. I start at 9:00 and when I came in on Friday my new friend was is the back of my truck.

Thanks again, I have always busted my ass on this job and will continue to do so. As said in a previous post. " I run over on my rte but no one not even runners can touch my stops per hour."

When UPS surveys ask Are you proud to work for UPS? I answer no but I am proud of the job I do and the work ethic I use everyday

local804

Yes, it's amazing how the load is in stop to stop order on the 3 day ride.

Amazing how your car is wrapped for those 3 days.

Amazing how the bulk disappears (oh, wait, it's on the air guy).

Amazing how you get zero messages all day.

Amazing that split you usually have isn't there.

Surely just coincidence.... ?

Sometimes people have to cheat to win.
Sometimes people get a big bonus for bringing up their groups sph.
Sometimes people have to cheat to win.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Senior Geek,
Obviously you see only what you want to ---" work at a safe pace always use the handrails " --- implies ----look the word up --- that you do not work at a safe pace or use the handrails all the time ---when you are alone ----same as trample peoples lawns when alone but do the job correctly when under supervision. Funny thing in my 36 years --as an hourly or mgmt -----You could put any mgmt person on car with the worst drivers in the barn ----and always no matter what they did differently to slow down -----always came in much earlier with a sup. If mgmt is asking or demanding too much --the only thing I am stating ---ask for a ride ---Make sure the load is not set up ---- DO THE SAME JOB --you do as when un-supervised ----Fairness and honesty by all should be the rule.
island1faux,
I see 4 response posts before your rant that questions the integrity of those respondants. If there are more posts than that, I really do want to see them. (Does anyone other than island1faux see more than 4 responses plus the original post?)

Did you imply that browned out is one of the worst drivers in the barn?

I get it - you are proposing a standard of interpretation that we should apply to your writing. When you say, "Fairness and honesty by all should be the rule" you are saying that we need to be fair and honest when under supervision, and you are implying the opposite when unsupervised. Wink, wink.:wink:

Or were you making up a rule that applies to others, but not to you...?

Please spell it out for me (and any others who may be unfamiliar with the connotation of "implies"): Which of the 4 users is calling for dishonesty? Please feel welcome to use actual quotes from the post(s), instead of paraphrasing and subsequently drawing implications from the paraphrased statements as if those implications were made by the original statement.

island1fox

Senior Geek,
Get a Life -------I already have one ---If you do not understand --- both sides honesty and integrity ---- there is nothing more that I can say on the subject . Move on.:thumbup1:

Hangingon

Just out of curiosity, if you're talking about integrity, why is it every time there is a new time study the number of stops required to make 8 go up? Does the job get easier every few years? Are the packages getting smaller and lighter? Did the number of delivery points on an average route go down? Every time I've had one and asked the IE geek about this they always make some kind of mumbled comment about new procedures. The only new procedures I've heard in the last 24 years is to now touch every package by 10:30 to check for airs, set up and count remaining stops by 3, send a message with your ETA and then fend off about 10 messages about what a lousy driver you are. Guess that makes my day go faster.

Griff

I hope I get one of these 3 day rides. I'll be on the phone with my BA so fast it wont even be funny. I was told 100 times over the numbers mean nothing to the union, so they mean nothing to me. I've said this to my center manager, oncar, and their response is never good. That doesn't mean I'm out there milking it all day, but I'm certainly not going to work unsafe just to shave off clicks on a juiced timestudy.

browned out

2nd day of 3 day ride and we were expecting severe thunderstorms. Bagged some pkgs today and ojs said why are you bagging them there is an awning. Awning was 2 feet by 2 feet and 30 mph winds. I asked if the rain came straight down in Ohio. Still had 40 stops less than usual and no over 70's what a miracle. I wish he would ride with me everyday so I could have the 130 instead of 170 to save my knees. Good luck to all, use the methods, keep bustin ass, and use the work ethic that we are all accustomed to.

Thanks

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Senior Geek,
Get a Life -------I already have one ---
It sounds as if that life is not being so good to you. Your writing seems cranky.
If you do not understand --- both sides honesty and integrity ---- there is nothing more that I can say on the subject . Move on.:thumbup1:
I hope you can live up to your word, even if that means that we never find out who you were calling dishonest.

Now we return to our thread, already in progress....

Cole

I said,
Use methods which I recommend always, because once you make them part of your dailey routine, then you're work safe and efficient as possible, and an ojs ride is nothing to get worked up about.

Anything wrong with that?
Of course they get in earlier, as mentioned, they have the loads doctored up, from bulk, to stops., and usually have air covered they normally wont, not to mention the sups at times help. Sometimes customers sign your board quicker if a sup is with you as well.

Also why does it take so long to get back with the driver after the time study? I imagine so the numbers can be Doctored as well. Also I have gained time on a couple of studies, but my load/stop count never reflected it. I imagine because someone did more doctoring.

Bottom line do your normal routine, do it how they tell you, learn the methods and use them.

mis_load

Three days rides, do your job the way you were trained? 340 methods do work. Also, if you feel it unsafe to go through customers lawns, don't, it"s a safety isssue. Don't let the supervisor step or kick at your fet. That's harassment at the worst. These rides should be typical day, not doctored in any way. This is also the time that if you don't understand the methods to ask, I guess being of old ups i can't stand the way we are being treated now.

Hangingon

I really wish there was somewhere to look at the mythical 340 methods document. I keep asking my sups but they can never seem to find it. I used to be an hourly trainer, and even then never got to see it. They just described it to me so if any of the drivers questioned me about a method I was trying to teach them I could use it as the ulimate reference without actually having to produce it.

browned out

My 3 day ride is over. Averaged 134 stops instead of usual 145 to 170. No bulk, No splits, no retapes, no helping other drivers with 15-20 stops if my stop count was this low.

I met with center manager, union steward and ojs and manager said my average stops per hour were up from 15.8 to 16.8 and this would be my new rate. I asked if 134 stops would be my new rate also.(with a perfect load) Center manager said no(big suprize) I told center manager that these 3 days were not average, in fact I am lucky to get 3 days like this in 6 months. I explained to center manager If the loads were like this I have no problem with the extra stop per hour. Now ojs is gone and its a UPS miracle; my splits are back and everything is back to normal. Oh how I missed those packages, I thought maybe the volume was down.(yeah right)

Good advice from Captain America earlier in this thread. Keep sequence numbers and area documented. I was never time studied in this area is true. I was only timed on 3/4 of my usual route.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I really wish there was somewhere to look at the mythical 340 methods document. I keep asking my sups but they can never seem to find it. I used to be an hourly trainer, and even then never got to see it. They just described it to me so if any of the drivers questioned me about a method I was trying to teach them I could use it as the ulimate reference without actually having to produce it.
I can email you a copy of them if you like. Send me a PM with your email adress.