3 months since i quit, haven't looked back

hoser

Industrial Slob
Ok, I have looked back. After all, I'm on this forum.

Since quitting, I've worked for an airline. I've been to Toronto, Winnipeg(WHOOOO!), LA, and I'm going to Chicago this weekend to see the flames take on the blackhawks. I may go to Montreal for new years eve, I'd like to go back to Japan for a few days, a buddy is taking me to see his family in Ireland in February, and ms. hoser and I plan on going to Brasil in April. The pay sucks, however, and because I'm part time and the company is still considered to be "restructuring" (HUGE concessions from the union were given in 2003), I don't get a $1 raise until TWO YEARS of employment. However, the contract is up in 2009 and everyone is crying doomsday.

The scheduling at this place sucks. It's a shift bid system. There are 220 full time employees and if I were full time, I'd be at 211. There were 28 part timers, and I am 28. Despite this, I got a pretty good line de-icing planes from Tuesday-Saturday 1630-2100. The company is projecting 60 part timers by the next bid, so this means I will have a LOT of seniority on people without really having seniority (the most senior pt has been there since 2000). The bids are for 6 months at a time, the next one for summer is up in April. Summer sked sucks, part timer lines are normally 25-32 hours a week, while winter skeds are normally 20-24hrs a week. Because I am paid for every day regardless of whether I work them or not, I have to "sell" my days if I want them off. I can also "buy" days for cash or a shift trade. While I make $x an hour, the sell/buy rate is usually 30% more than what I make, so I either lose a lot of money or buy a lot of shifts and use that to sell my days. I choose the latter so finances aren't an issue.

The union is pretty good, the IAMAW. There was an issue with overtime with the company, and despite me not being initiated within the union yet, I got an answer and solution within hours. They have an office right beside our lunch room, and the local president (who we re-elected) is great.

The work environment is great, which is why the pay sucks. Last night I groomed one flight and another flight I threw ten bags and pushed back, and that was it. No hidden jobs, no surprise trailers full of volume, nothing. You do your flights and your spare time (on the clock) is your spare time. The rest I just read/studied/watched tv. Managers are pretty good, they REALLY respect our rights and they don't try ANY funny stuff. Any violations of the contract I found to be incidental more than intentional. Many employees don't feel the same way, but when you're making $29/hr and you're told that you're now making $23/hr, I'd be pissed as well.

Overall, it's great. I love my co-workers, I love the benefits, but I miss the consistent schedules, the fact that I was almost top of the seniority list with 8 months in, and THE PAY. I just thought I would let you guys know about what it's like with another company. Each has their pros and cons, UPS definitely wins with the pay, benefits, scheduling, and the fact that I can REFUSE OVERTIME.

Anyone else on the forum who left, said they haven't looked back, when really, they have?

iam

Hoser...I see you are now in the IAM&AW union. Welcome to the same union that represents a lot of the UPS mechanics. I do hope you are in the IAM Pension Fund.

satellitedriver

Best of luck to ya, hoser.
But, I would have to get out my abacas to understand the buy/sell thing.
It's peak and I am mentally tired and on my 3rd beer.
Never look back, you might see what is gaining on you.
Keep posting and let us know what's going on in your travels.
PAX

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Ok, I have looked back. After all, I'm on this forum. Since quitting, I've worked for an airline. I've been to Toronto, Winnipeg(WHOOOO!), LA, and I'm going to Chicago this weekend to see the flames take on the blackhawks.

I haven't looked back since leaving, Hoser. NEVER has it crossed my mind that I made a mistake. H*ll...I was on the phone with my father the other day and he asked if I regretted leaving UPS. I grunted and answered, "Not for a minute! My stress is GONE, I've got time for ME and I'm not being screamed at every 10 minutes for something that isn't my fault." I'm still on this forum because I enjoy reading the posts.

And I guess I'll give a quick update on my post-departure experience. My new job with the government has gone OK. Yesterday was bad and there have been a couple rough days since I started two weeks ago. That having been said, I think things will improve next week. It turns out that "quickness" UPS loves and instills in its employees doesn't go over so well here. My manager gave me "what for" today, telling me to slow the h*ll down and that quality comes waaaaay above quantity. This is going to take getting used to :happy2: but I'm up for it. I priced bikes at a thrift store the other night. This administrative stuff--while much easier on the body--makes for an expanding waistline. I'll buy a bike after the holidays and ride it as weather permits, hopefully losing a little weight in the process. -Rocky

SmithBarney

I'm with Rocky and Hoser... I left about 6-7months ago.. and there are few regrets
if any. money isn't everything.. and man it sure is nice to lay down with my wife at
bed time instead of having to sneak into the room and not wake her...

Yup Rocky I've been told to slow down too..here at FedEx.. :) unfortunately working
hard and fast comes naturally to me... so I just get to enjoy more extended lunches..
and even a few naps on the nice clean shelfs of my Truck.. ;)

Fnix

I've been at UPS for 2 years and havent felt any stress yet. I guess it's your center and who runs it.

it is hard to find secure jobs that offer pension

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
it is hard to find secure jobs that offer pension

We're learning that few--if any--jobs are secure in this day and age. Off-shoring is becoming more and more of a ###*@. And pension? That word makes my teeth grind. If you're relying on a pension to support yourself in retirement, you're living in the Land of Dreams. Despite being a very vocal advocate for personal financial responsibility, I have yet to start a 401k. The fact that I'm a student should explain it. -Rocky

Fnix

We're learning that few--if any--jobs are secure in this day and age. Off-shoring is becoming more and more of a ###*@. And pension? That word makes my teeth grind. If you're relying on a pension to support yourself in retirement, you're living in the Land of Dreams. Despite being a very vocal advocate for personal financial responsibility, I have yet to start a 401k. The fact that I'm a student should explain it. -Rocky

you cant live on SS. people without money at retirement usually end up working at wal-mart or a dollar store until they die

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
you cant live on SS. people without money at retirement usually end up working at wal-mart or a dollar store until they die

True. Never specifically said you could, much more suggested doing so. Look at some of my posts where the 401k has come up. If you're still in doubt about where I stand, please, come back. I'll be glad to set the record straight! -Rocky

Big Babooba

Caution, that big brown truck in you rear view mirror may be closer than it appears. I quit and made the vow never to return 29 years ago. 5 months later I came back. Circumstances in my life at that time made my returning to UPS my best option. Things worked out for the better and I don't have any regrets.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Caution, that big brown truck in you rear view mirror may be closer than it appears. I quit and made the vow never to return 29 years ago. 5 months later I came back. Circumstances in my life at that time made my returning to UPS my best option. Things worked out for the better and I don't have any regrets.

I don't doubt that it was the best decision for you, Big. I worked for UPS once before and quit for school. I came back for the health benefits. When the stress, lack of free-time and sleep caught up with me, something had to give. It was either UPS or my work-study job. I'm leaving the work study job because I found one in my profession :happy2:. I have zero regrets about losing the health benefits. The combination of the three factors made leaving my best choice. Yeah, I'm paying for the health benefits myself now but, at the same time, I'm working in my chosen profession, making a great wage AND I have free-time!!! I'm thinking about taking up my (very) old hobby of biking in the fairly near future. Life's good outside UPS. -Rocky