3rd Vote

Stonefish

That was a great proposal. Thanks. It's nice to hear that.
We hire seasonal inside pt timers from May 1-Labor Day. We normally have people on call.....if HR is timely for us.
The company wants to use part time to cover full time single days. If part time does it there won't be anyone to cover full time and then it's pointless the have them at all

ezmoney5150

Look at your stop count now...and your stop count from 25 -30 years ago...did your pay, go up as fast as your stop count?? Yes we make more money...but we do a hell of alot more work for It.
When you start your pickups and still have 40 delivery stops call in and ask for help. If they don't send any you file 9.5. Sooner or later they'll get the picture. When you work your lunch and breaks to make it happen they'll keep pumping up the stops.

CharleyHustle

The "strike vote" is a strike authorization vote only. It simply gives the National Negotiating Committee the option to strike.

Per the IBT Constitution, if a strike authorization vote fails and a supplement vote also fails the supplemental agreement can then be imposed. Quite frankly, I don't think many people know what will happen if a strike authorization is approved and the supplement also shot down.

The rumor is that if any strike action takes place, picket lines won't be sanctioned beyond the affected areas.

That's probably one of the big reasons why we haven't heard of a second vote out of Local 89 -- the company can move/divert work around Ohio and Pennsylvania but shutting down Worldport would cripple UPS air operations.

This right here.

You can try to change anything you want in your rider. But what is the "end game" and what are the rules governing that end game?

C

chuchu

The company wants to use part time to cover full time single days. If part time does it there won't be anyone to cover full time and then it's pointless the have them at all
Having a part time employee split up a week is better than having him/her absent for the whole week on vacation.
Using your manning problem theory it would be harder to have coverage people available.
Splitting up a week is FAR more conducive to adequately staffing the operation and seasonal/free period hires don't get vacations thus there are less hours to cover when splits are utilized. Its easier to fill a small hole than a large one. (Indecision, don't touch that please).

O/C

I hope you read my response. It wasn't a comparison of union leadership to dissenters. It was about being a leader and getting involved in the issues that affect your life.

It is a much bigger deal than this contract is and that in a matter of days will be over and will mean a whole lot less than it does today.[/quo
They won't take a strike authorization vote in 89. That guy is whacked and would try an do it to further his own political agenda.
Give me a break, it is all political, and everybody has a agenda. Look what is happening, try to get the "Big Picture" even if the Ohio Rider passes it will still be a very long time till the contract is finalized. Way too many locals out there who didn't drink the Kool-aid, they will hold out till the end. Would be for the best interest for all of us under the Ohio Rider to vote it down for the third time, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was around in "97", been there, done that, what is so different in 2014? I am afraid most of the yes votes were fear-driven, face it most of us just got too comfortable to consider looking after the other guy that this contract through under the bus. Besides it would be more interesting to make history if this thing gets voted down, that is enough incentive for me to vote "No".

C

chuchu

There is no doubt we do a lot more than 30 years ago. 30 years ago packages were sheeted on paper. They didn't have PAS. They didn't have EDD they didn't have Telematics. They didn't have ORION. They didn't have the key fobs. A lot has changed over the last 30 years including stop counts after all the technology. We earn every penny of what we make. Especially with the crappy winter we have had. They could put 400 stops on my car but my obligation is a fair days work.
We do a lot more than the day before PAS was implemented and each facility had the targeted number of routes dissolved.
Routes absorbed at least 25% more work with the same allotment of time to getit done. It was a huge cluster in a lot of buildings.
Even tho we don't recognize "standards" the change blew out many routes (pieces), load qualities diminished because of that thus causing MANY more over 9.5s and we are still fighting that today.
A quart only holds 32 ozs and the company hasn't figured that out in the last century because they're still pouring 40 plus ozs In daily.
Look at the workers comp claims and joints being replaced and getting surgery on. Its not a good indication of a healthy work environment.

Stonefish

Having a part time employee split up a week is better than having him/her absent for the whole week on vacation.
Using your manning problem theory it would be harder to have coverage people available.
Splitting up a week is FAR more conducive to adequately staffing the operation and seasonal/free period hires don't get vacations thus there are less hours to cover when splits are utilized. Its easier to fill a small hole than a large one. (Indecision, don't touch that please).
The SVD's are paid the first 5 or 10 days the employee takes off provided there is coverage available. My guess would be hiring to cover for that would be rough. My understanding is that it was proposed by the union and was not agreed. If they schedule vacations in November/December in my opinion it would be easier to cover. No matter what time of the year staffing is an issue at UPS because they cut everything close to the vest.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What 22.3's are you talking about? Are you missing some in your local? If so has a grievance been filed

That's funny.

A carve out in Ohio is not responsible to the brothers and sisters in Ohio.

Interesting way.... to put it.

There are 3 locals in the state that already have their own plans.

Hmm, there is 348.... who are the other two ??

One other local had their own plan several years ago and it didn't work out for them and they had to go into another plan because they couldn't pay the bills for the members so they opted into another and pay a premium co pay.

Again.... help me out with this.

-Bug-

Stonefish

Give me a break, it is all political, and everybody has a agenda. Look what is happening, try to get the "Big Picture" even if the Ohio Rider passes it will still be a very long time till the contract is finalized. Way too many locals out there who didn't drink the Kool-aid, they will hold out till the end. Would be for the best interest for all of us under the Ohio Rider to vote it down for the third time, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was around in "97", been there, done that, what is so different in 2014? I am afraid most of the yes votes were fear-driven, face it most of us just got too comfortable to consider looking after the other guy that this contract through under the bus. Besides it would be more interesting to make history if this thing gets voted down, that is enough incentive for me to vote "No".
Sounds like someone is drinking the anti freeze. It isn't in the best interest to keep voting it down. I understand (not necessarily agree) with Bubblehead and Chuchu and why they feel the way they do. Nothing venture, nothing gained can also be a lot lost to a lot of people you included. I also was around in 97 and was improperly discharged after we came back from the strike and what is so different is the climate out there. In Tennessee politicians are telling the public not to vote for union's. In South Carolina the governor was on the news telling people union's aren't welcome. There are more right to work states than there were in 97. The votes you reference may not be fear driven they may be realistic driven. I feel and I don't fault you for your beliefs but I feel the history your want to make is not really what you are looking for.

C

chuchu

The SVD's are paid the first 5 or 10 days the employee takes off provided there is coverage available. My guess would be hiring to cover for that would be rough. My understanding is that it was proposed by the union and was not agreed. If they schedule vacations in November/December in my opinion it would be easier to cover. No matter what time of the year staffing is an issue at UPS because they cut everything close to the vest.
The drivers that split up that week(s) normally have a hard time getting off here but in the long run it helps the company. It should help the company if pt time splits....With the approval of the company clause screws the worker more often than not unless the situation is babysat. Should have become penanty pay issue AT DBL TIME. Its always critical mass in staffing properly.

Stonefish

Only "partially" right....

"I thought.. I heard.. or somebody told me." :laughing2:

-Bug-
Well then enlighten me. What I was told is that a certain local in central Ohio had their own health care plan and it didn't work out to well so they went into the company plan and the agreement was to pay a premium co pay. Through negotiations this time Mr. Hall was able to move your local into TeamCare and no more premium co pays. If I am wrong please tell me it will be the first time in my life. :)

C

chuchu

Sounds like someone is drinking the anti freeze. It isn't in the best interest to keep voting it down. I understand (not necessarily agree) with Bubblehead and Chuchu and why they feel the way they do. Nothing venture, nothing gained can also be a lot lost to a lot of people you included. I also was around in 97 and was improperly discharged after we came back from the strike and what is so different is the climate out there. In Tennessee politicians are telling the public not to vote for union's. In South Carolina the governor was on the news telling people union's aren't welcome. There are more right to work states than there were in 97. The votes you reference may not be fear driven they may be realistic driven. I feel and I don't fault you for your beliefs but I feel the history your want to make is not really what you are looking for.
All the more reason for union officials to support and consistently interact with members....especially about contract language proposals.
" Because I said so" is an ample response to your two year old child in answering a question but it is not the professional answer or attitude to dues paying members questions, after their earnestly compiled contract changes are flushed, that they (we) deserve.