40 days passed and still don't make book

triblk

I was hired on August 28th as a preloader and was told i would make book after 40 days. It has now been 2 months and when i asked my supervisor about making book he told me that i wont make it until January because apparently you can't make book during peak season.

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Since you are new I'll let you in on a secret: NEVER ask your supervisor anything that has to do with your job. They dont know and dont care. ALWAYS ask your Steward or Business Agent

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was hired on August 28th as a preloader and was told i would make book after 40 days. It has now been 2 months and when i asked my supervisor about making book he told me that i wont make it until January because apparently you can't make book during peak season.

You don't make book as a prelaoder. Book refers to the actual qualifying booklet the supervisors have to fill out when training a new driver. You gain seniority. Depending on where you are that can be anywhere from 30 to 90 working days. Then you have to sign up with the union in order to be a seniority employee.

542thruNthru

What local are you?

You don't make book as a prelaoder. Book refers to the actual qualifying booklet the supervisors have to fill out when training a new driver. You gain seniority. Depending on where you are that can be anywhere from 30 to 90 working days. Then you have to sign up with the union in order to be a seniority employee.
That's not true.
If you don't do a good enough job before you get into the union the company can cut you loose.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's not true.
If you don't do a good enough job before you get into the union the company can cut you loose.

How does that contradict what I wrote? I never said the company couldn't cut him loose before he gained seniority. I was just differentiating between gaining seniority and making book, and giving him a general idea of how long he has to work before making seniority.

How does that contradict what I wrote? I never said the company couldn't cut him loose before he gained seniority. I was just differentiating between gaining seniority and making book, and giving him a general idea of how long he has to work before making seniority.
They always call it making book.
Sorry maybe I misread what you wrote

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
The new minimum is 40 now.

But to the question of whether one can ‘make book’ as a new driver, and gain seniority, and get hired into the job more ‘permanently,’ can that happen this time of the year? Is there a moratorium on a new package car driver gaining seniority during the last few months of the year? Can that be found somewhere in the CBA contract?

But to the question of whether one can ‘make book’ as a new driver, and gain seniority, and get hired into the job more ‘permanently,’ can that happen this time of the year? Is there a moratorium on a new package car driver gaining seniority during the last few months of the year? Can that be found somewhere in the CBA contract?
If you don't make book before the free period their is nothing you can do.

542thruNthru

Depends on your supplemental language.