40 MPG

30andout

We have a new p1000 that I am being told is getting 40mpg anyone else know if this is right or is it just talk.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
They are probably talking about the electronic read out on the bottom of the speedometer. I've driven a P57 that reads 256 MPG when I'm coasting down a steep hill.

30andout

They are probably talking about the electronic read out on the bottom of the speedometer. I've driven a P57 that reads 256 MPG when I'm coasting down a steep hill.
Hearsay, but one of the other drivers claims to have put in 3 gallon for 126 miles.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a new p1000 that I am being told is getting 40mpg anyone else know if this is right or is it just talk.

This is just talk. The Toyota Prius Hybrid only gets in the low 40s. No way it will get anything like that. I got a new P7 last year with a Mercedes 4 cylinder tubo that is lucky to average ten miles to the gallon. If a P1000 got 40 mpg, I would get one (painted a different color of course!) for my daily commute to work. It would be great for the weekend,I could make a camper out of it or haul a lot of garbage to the landfill. Yes, I am crazy. I miss my '69 Vett.

tups

Ya ok.......Last time I actually figured out mileage on the 1000 I drive, I got somewhere around 4.5 miles per gallon!! Filled up in the morning, drove about 65 miles, re-filled 13 gallons at night, figuring out to roughly 4.5 mpg! It's one way to keep the oil companies rich!

SmithBarney

This is just talk. The Toyota Prius Hybrid only gets in the low 40s...

Which is Pathetic, considering the VW diesels have been makeing 40-50mpg since at least the late 1970's

The technology is there, UPS could be a very influential part of it, if they had access to the technology...
However I find it hard to believe 40mpg... in a truck.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
I don't think so. We have a couple of p7's that run on average 200+ miles a day. These cars use about half a tank of fuel. which makes it about 20 mpg. Now consider that the Mesquite Hub uses approx 2 millions gals of diesel per month. That is quite a savings of cash.

dragracer66

We have a new car with the big block in it and on saturday I took it to get part's. While I was driving I was messing with the average fuel mileage button and it said 4.9 miles to a gallon. The instant average was all over the place. I still can't figure out why they bought this thing with a bbc. A small block would have been plenty!! They should have done a sbc when we got the 4.3's and when they converted the 292's 15 year's ago they also should have done a sbc then. But that's the decision of somebody else!!!

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
We are suppose to be getting 2 diesel electric hybrid tomorrow. Can't wait to see the PMI form for this thing the 200 section will take about 3 hours due to all the batteries that some idiot will want load tested. Every 6-8 weeks.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
This is just talk. The Toyota Prius Hybrid only gets in the low 40s. No way it will get anything like that. I got a new P7 last year with a Mercedes 4 cylinder tubo that is lucky to average ten miles to the gallon. If a P1000 got 40 mpg, I would get one (painted a different color of course!) for my daily commute to work. It would be great for the weekend,I could make a camper out of it or haul a lot of garbage to the landfill. Yes, I am crazy. I miss my '69 Vett.
You trade your vet for a van ? :crying: Must be married :ohmy:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You trade your vet for a van ? :crying: Must be married :ohmy:
I drive a Chevy P/U now. Bought the Vett when I was eighteen (part time paid better then), then drove the hell out of it for about 27 years. One of my customers waved too much cash under my nose a few years ago and I let it go. Couldn't get the family in the two-seater. Yes, I got about 24 years in with Mrs. Scratch:innocent:

PS, on the subject of mpg, that '69 350ci/350hp Vett got about 5 mpg city, maybe 13 highway, would run on Amoco Premium only

Last edited:

hitsomebody

That guy that wears brown
Many years ago when in the service i got a 68 Vette from an old vet retiree for a song. Was having it towed on a trailer by a company from the west coast to my new base in Illinois and the truck jackknifed and lost the cars it was hauling, Only got to drive the thing for about a month, but that thing would scream down the highway, spent about 150 in gas for a weekend, drove about 200 miles up and down the PCH, i sure miss that car

rod

Retired 22 years
Which is Pathetic, considering the VW diesels have been makeing 40-50mpg since at least the late 1970's

The technology is there, UPS could be a very influential part of it, if they had access to the technology...
However I find it hard to believe 40mpg... in a truck.
What VW's get in milage is MORE than over shadowed in repair costs. It cost me $116.00 to replace 4 sparkplugs in my wifes Passat. Thats not a tuneup- just 4 plugs. Ive had it in 6 times (at about 2 to 3 hundred bucks a pop)since it was new in 2001 to get the "check engine" light off. Today the service manager had the balls to tell me that it has been a "good" car for us. My advise to everyone is stay away from VW

surviv'n_it

I had a new p7 last Christmas. It was around 40 mpg. I did about 180 miles per day on that baseline route with around 200-220 stops. That truck just flew!

I know I only put in about 5-6 gallons a day.